Triangle problems

Old February 12th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

Default Triangle problems

Can someone help and explain how to join triangles to I don't lose the tips.
I can't find the book I had years ago explaining this. Is there a website
somewhere to see how this is done? I'm getting desperate..........

Old February 12th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Marie Dodge wrote:
Can someone help and explain how to join triangles to I don't lose the
tips.
I can't find the book I had years ago explaining this. Is there a website
somewhere to see how this is done? I'm getting desperate.

You're going to have to be more specific as to what the question is.
There are half square triangles (HST), quarter square triangles (QST),
half rectangle triangles (HRT), paper pieced triangles, triangles made
with templates, and others too numerous to name.* Can you give us the
name of the block or design that you're trying to create?

*the triangles that surround the center square in 'square in a square,'
the triangles that go in 'storm at sea,' Peaky and Spike triangles from
Doreen Speckman's books ...

--Lia

Old February 12th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
Marie Dodge wrote:
Can someone help and explain how to join triangles to I don't lose the
tips.
I can't find the book I had years ago explaining this. Is there a website
somewhere to see how this is done? I'm getting desperate.

You're going to have to be more specific as to what the question is. There
are half square triangles (HST), quarter square triangles (QST),

Both! :*( I'm making houses and losing the top of the roof and the roof
edges. I'm losing the edges of the lighthouse roof which are QSTs.

half rectangle triangles (HRT), paper pieced triangles, triangles made
with templates, and others too numerous to name.* Can you give us the
name of the block or design that you're trying to create?

They're the typical houses with roofs like this --- ^ I lose the top
and the bottom edges.

*the triangles that surround the center square in 'square in a square,'
the triangles that go in 'storm at sea,' Peaky and Spike triangles from
Doreen Speckman's books ...

How do you attach triangles to triangles and still have a 1/4 seam? I had a
book with a pic of how this is done but cannot find it.

--Lia

Old February 12th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Here's some photos. All triangles match up basically the same.

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/artheblk/pintips/

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 12th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
Here's some photos. All triangles match up basically the same.

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/artheblk/pintips/

Thanks, but that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm attaching triangles to
squares and other triangles and can't get points with a seam allowance. The
point comes to the edge so the next piece cuts the points off. Instead of
being pointed my house roofs are flat. Do you know how I can sew them
together and keep the point back so there an 1/4 " seam allowance so the
points aren't cut off flat?

Old February 12th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
Here's some photos. All triangles match up basically the same.

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/artheblk/pintips/

To better explain it - I'm joining two smaller triangles to a larger
triangle to make a pointed roof.

Old February 12th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Let's say you want to join a triangle to a square. Your square is 2 1/2
inches. So you cut your triangle by taking another 2 1/2 inch square and
cut it diagonally -- right? WRONG!

My guess is that you are making your triangles a wee bit too small for the
squares you are adding them to. Also -- remember you have to leave an "ear"
hanging off the edge when you align a triangle to a square. If you put the
point of the triangle at the edge of the square -- in most cases you will
lose the point on the triangle.

Here are some guidelines for working with triangles:
http://www.crystalpalaceyarns.com/eq...Triangles.html
http://quilting.about.com/od/quickpi..._squares_2.htm

Here are some House Block patterns...
http://www.azpatch.com/bom/bom2002/04apr02/bom02apr.htm
http://www.quilts.de/Quilts/Anleitun...ttext_bom.html

I hope you find these helpful!

--
Kate in MI

Old February 12th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Marie Dodge wrote:
I'm attaching triangles
to squares and other triangles and can't get points with a seam
allowance. The point comes to the edge so the next piece cuts the
points off. Instead of being pointed my house roofs are flat. Do you
know how I can sew them together and keep the point back so there an 1/4
" seam allowance so the points aren't cut off flat?

I'm still not sure I understand, but see if this makes sense. When you
cut the triangles, cut them larger than the pattern says you need them.
In other words, if the pattern tells you to cut 2 5 inch squares and
slice them on the diagonal to make half square triangles, go ahead and
cut the squares to 6 inches. Attach them. Then trim to the correct size.

There are so many house blocks, I can't visualize the one you're
describing. If your block has a name, tell us, and we'll google to find
it online. If your block is in a book, tell us which one. One of us
will have it and will be able to see what you're describing. If your
block is from a pattern, tell us which one. We'll google, find it, and
be able to answer your question better.

--Lia

Old February 12th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

Marie Dodge wrote:

To better explain it - I'm joining two smaller triangles to a larger
triangle to make a pointed roof.

Is the finished unit a square?
Are the 2 smaller triangles quarter square triangles, while the larger
triangle is a half square triangle?

--Lia

Old February 12th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_2_]

Marie Dodge wrote:
To better explain it - I'm joining two smaller triangles to a larger
triangle to make a pointed roof.

Is the finished unit a square?

No. The finished piece must be 2 1/2" by 1 1/2" . When added to the others
it needs a finished size of 1" by 2" so these are small pieces I'm working
with.

Are the 2 smaller triangles quarter square triangles, while the larger
triangle is a half square triangle?

No. There are 3 pieces to the square. A larger triangle in the middle and a
small one on each side to make a rectangle.

--Lia

Humbug (triangle) Bag Boca Jan Quilting 4 January 14th 08 07:10 PM
Triangle Galaxy Boca Jan Quilting 1 February 11th 07 09:57 PM
PING: NC Research Triangle 276 Butterfly Quilting 0 January 11th 06 03:16 AM
Corner triangle size? Johanna Gibson Quilting 6 August 26th 05 12:13 AM
half square triangle ? DQLTS Quilting 9 July 12th 05 04:36 PM