Just a few thoughts as I press

Old May 31st 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Just a few thoughts as I press

I washed my fairly small stash yesterday, since I thought I might have
time today to start cutting for a simple project.
So while sitting at the ironing press I pondered a few things that are
probably old hat to you Uber-quilters.Now taking a break I shall write
them down:

1. Not all FQs are created equal. A yard obviously varies from ruler to
ruler.
2. Not all cottons are created equal either.
3. It was a good thing that the green Christmas fabric bled onto some
lighter FQs before I washed it as a finished item.
4. I actually have more fabric than I ever recall buying.
5. I may be a stroker, not a quilter.
6. My stash is obviously missing some fabrics which will be essential
to my hobby and must be enhanced.Where are all the blending fabrics?
7. I have a penchant for oriental and paisley designs.
8. Pressing cloth is only tolerable when ample supplies of coffee and
chocolate are available.
9. When is the postie bringing my next squishie?
10. I am running out of time to start that prokect!

Cheers,
Fay

Old May 31st 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Fey wrote:
[...]

I had to laugh at this. It sounds so much like me. I just might be a
stroker, also! You can look at my stash and realize how much I love
colors. Loud, garish colors and prints. Lots of red. OTOH, I love
quilts done in tasteful, old-fashioned pastels. Why I don't seem to own
any fabric like that is beyond me. And hardly any blenders or neutrals.

Sherry

Old May 31st 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ironing fabric is a good time to listen to books on tape!

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
ps.com...

Old May 31st 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I seem to have the opposite - lots of blending fabs but not many vibrant
prints. However, I love to arrange and rearrange and I don't mind a run to
the store. hehe

--
Boca Jan
Southern Florida - land of the hurricanes

ps.com...

Old May 31st 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 30 May 2006 19:10:10 -0700, "Fey" wrote:

I washed my fairly small stash yesterday, since I thought I might have
time today to start cutting for a simple project.
So while sitting at the ironing press I pondered a few things that are
probably old hat to you Uber-quilters.Now taking a break I shall write
them down:

I can add a few of my own ponderings to yours.

1. Not all FQs are created equal. A yard obviously varies from ruler to
ruler.

And fabric widths vary as much as the rulers do.

2. Not all cottons are created equal either.

So true.

3. It was a good thing that the green Christmas fabric bled onto some
lighter FQs before I washed it as a finished item.

Yes it is a good thing. Pre-washing is a good thing and you have
learned that lesson without ruining a finished quilt. Color Catcher
or Carbona sheets are also a good thing. They will keep the bleeding
dye from getting onto most other fabrics while pre-washing.

4. I actually have more fabric than I ever recall buying.

I know I have fabric I didn't buy. Some fabric was gifted to me, some
I bought, and some just plain appeared on my fabric shelves. Every
now and then I find I am missing a fabric that I know I bought too.
This makes me think perhaps there is some sort of black hole to white
hole effect going on transporting fabrics from one person's fabric
stash to another.

5. I may be a stroker, not a quilter.

I like the eye candy effect of fabrics as much as the feel of it.
Bright colors and perky prints make me smile.

6. My stash is obviously missing some fabrics which will be essential
to my hobby and must be enhanced.Where are all the blending fabrics?

What's a blender fabric? Three different sized prints and one solid
color works for me. I just pick up a print and add others that look
nice with it until I have what feels like a perfect combination and
I'm done. One of them must be a blender but I have no clue which.

7. I have a penchant for oriental and paisley designs.

Paisley is cool. I like vines and surprisingly many floral prints. I
love big novelty prints too.

8. Pressing cloth is only tolerable when ample supplies of coffee and
chocolate are available.

I've learned pressing and sewing cloth is much safer without food and
drink.

9. When is the postie bringing my next squishie?

Who knows? The Shadow knows!

10. I am running out of time to start that prokect!

Cheers,
Fay

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old May 31st 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Fey" wrote in message
ps.com...
snip
I pondered a few things
4. I actually have more fabric than I ever recall buying.

SNORT
You are well on your way to becoming a fabriholic, girl! And believe me, it
may get much worse VBEG That's OK, hon, join the rest of us. (I think it
gets worse as I get older)!
..
6. My stash is obviously missing some fabrics which will be essential to
my hobby and must be enhanced.

Good reasoning -- unless they're the fabrics you seem to be "missing"...
Those are usually "hidden" under some pile or other. I DO like your black
hole / white hole theory, though!!!

ME-Judy