American/English equivalents for Aussie yarns

Old July 2nd 03, 11:46 AM
Rivergirl

Default American/English equivalents for Aussie yarns

Hi everyone,

I'm new Nice to meet you all.

I have a query, if you don't mind me asking. I'm looking for a ten ply
pattern (australian ten ply) on the net, but I think I've found out that 10
ply might not be known as such in other countries.

Is there a website/special place I can go to find out the equivalent terms
or plys from Aussie to American or UK?

Thankyou so much

Suzie

Old July 2nd 03, 01:45 PM
G.Kelly

Hello Suzie and a big welcome to the group - I gather you are a fellow
Aussie ? From where do you hale ? I am on the Gold Coast. Sorry I
cannot help you at all - I have come to the decision that our "plys" do not
mean much in the other countries - they speak of "worsted weight "etc which
as far as I know we do not have. Is there not a 10 ply Aussie book ?
Bye God bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old July 2nd 03, 04:02 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Suzie,

Nice to meet you, sorry I can't help you, but do want to welcome you to the
greatest group on the web.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 2nd 03, 05:55 PM
AGRES

Austrian 10 ply is called "knitting worsted" in the US and UK

If you are looking around for yarn, other conversions are as follows:

Aussie 5 ply = US fingering/sport = UK 4 ply
Aussie 8 ply = US sport/knitting worsted = UK double knitting
Aussie 12 ply = = UK Aran
Aussie 14 ply = US Bulky = UK Chunky

These are taking from the web page of the trading company of the Knitting &
Crochet Guild. They have a web page, but I do not have the URL in front of
me.

These are just the standards, There are many other local, special yarns such
as the UK's 5 ply worsted "wassit" that is used to knit Guernseys. Wassit
is a hard twisted yarn that is double knitting weight. The lesson from
wassit is, Ask questions and knit swatches.

I have been knitting with a Canadian yarn, just following the patterns (with
gauge recommendations) that they recommended for the yarn. But, in the last
few days, I have knit some more swatches using much smaller needles. I
really love the results! No, I'm not going to rip out what is on the big
needles. I am going to buy some more of the yarn and knit it real tight on
steel needles. (I hate steel needles!)

Get a sample of the yarn and knit swatches at different gauges/ tensions.
For example, make a sweater for a teddy bear using the same stitches that
you intend to use on final project. Then you can really see how it knits up,
make sure you understand the construction process, and see the joy in some
kid's eyes when they get to play with the final product.

Aaron

Old July 3rd 03, 09:04 AM
G.Kelly

Agres I was not the one who asked for this information but I sure want to
thank you for it - I have sort of let all the mentions of different yarns go
over my head - but now I will know what the group are talking about !!
Thank you God Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

&

Old July 4th 03, 08:52 AM
Rivergirl

Thankyou so much everyone for both the warm welcome and the helpful
information!

Suzie

"Yarn Forward" wrote in message
I hope this is a complete list of yarn gauges or tensions.
Roger.

http://www.yarnforward.com/tension.html

Rivergirl wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new Nice to meet you all.

I have a query, if you don't mind me asking. I'm looking for a ten ply
pattern (australian ten ply) on the net, but I think I've found out that

10
ply might not be known as such in other countries.

Is there a website/special place I can go to find out the equivalent

terms
or plys from Aussie to American or UK?

Thankyou so much

Suzie

--
Yarn Forward
Your On Line Yarn Store
http://www.yarnforward.com

Old July 4th 03, 04:11 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Rivergirl"
wrote:

Thankyou so much everyone for both the warm welcome and the helpful
information!

Suzie

Stay around Suzie.....we have lots to share and we always laugh while doing it

Els from the top of the world on the same ocean though LOL

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))