Needing Help.

Old October 7th 03, 03:22 PM
Dustbunny

Default Needing Help.

as always I find myself in a pickle...
I started out making this quilt
http://www.sullivans.net/usa/Pages/u.../farm/farm.htm
here is my blocks
http://community.webshots.com/user/cchilb

But after re-reading and looking at the blocks....It is not going to be big
enough for a queen quilt. even after making a boarder bigger and adding 2"
stripping.

So I think I will add there 1" stripping and go back down to the 4" boarder.
Now I was thinking about adding 12 1/2" inch plan blocks in-between the
chicken print. and staggering them.

Or I can add a few 12" block from quilterscache
I was thinking about this block
http://www.quilterscache.com/M_O/MississippiBlock.html
and doing the block in Red (sunflowers or the chicken red/black print) &
blue.

So please help me.. Should I add the Mississippi Block, or just add a plain
block.. ( what color should the plain block be) and will it be too "busy if
I added a Mississippi Block..

Old October 7th 03, 03:51 PM
Martha in IN

Christina, It seems to me that you would lose the secondary pattern that
appears if you add any other block that is different from the one shown. Why
not just add more of those blocks to make your quilt larger?
Martha
s.com...

Old October 7th 03, 04:24 PM
Keith and Michelle

It says in the directions 45X57. That's definitely not a queen size quilt. I
agree with Martha in IN. Just add another row and/or column of the same
block (so the finished quilt would be 4 blocks by 5 blocks instead of 3 by
4.).
HTH!
Michelle
in Gander

Old October 7th 03, 04:46 PM
Marilyn G.

I would agree to add more blocks. If you have more fabric or can easily
obtain more, I would make more blocks to make the quilt larger.

Another option would be to add pieced borders. There is a border book out
that shows different types of borders and maybe you could find a
complimentary border to make the quilt larger.

Marilyn

Old October 7th 03, 05:17 PM
Dustbunny

I would be glad to do so, only that I am out of chicken fabric, which means
I would have to buy at least 2 more yards.. As the middle print is just a 6"
strip on that yard.
I do have 5-12" blocks going across and 5-12" blocks going down.. I may be
able to keep the blocks by adding a BIG boarder that is 12" to each side

&

Old October 7th 03, 07:08 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

So, did you "fussy cut" the chickens from the fabric? Is there something
else on the fabric that you could use instead of the chickens? The colors
would still match, and might "do" for the center pieces if you place them
judiciously when you assemble the top.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old October 7th 03, 07:23 PM
Kellie J. Berger

Like the quilt!
can you make another row of the same blocks?
I think the plain blocks would be nicer than the Mississippi block. I like
the M block, but it is a 9 patch and the main block isn't ... I don't think
they will line up well and look cohesive. A 5 patch might work?

or maybe make 4 square in a square type blocks for the center and use the
main blocks to wrap around those?

good luck!

Kellie

Old October 7th 03, 08:32 PM
Patti

Hullo Christina
I really like the block.
I once had a quilt 'centre' which was too small; and I added borders to
it to make it large enough. You know, I have never liked that quilt,
even though I still love the centre. I am planning to take it apart and
re-make it as a lap quilt, so it just uses the 'proper' bit!!
I just say that as an example of things that can happen g. I agree
with making more blocks, and Ruth's idea of using something else from
the fabric, also fussy cut like the chickens, would be best because
although the pattern might be different, the colours would be exactly
right.
I don't think adding another pattern block would let either block look
their best.
..
In article m,
Dustbunny writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 7th 03, 09:04 PM
Mary

"Dustbunny" wrote...
[snip]
I started out making this quilt
http://www.sullivans.net/usa/Pages/u.../farm/farm.htm
here is my blocks
http://community.webshots.com/user/cchilb

[snip]
Or I can add a few 12" block from quilterscache
I was thinking about this block
http://www.quilterscache.com/M_O/MississippiBlock.html
and doing the block in Red (sunflowers or the chicken red/black print) &
blue.

So please help me.. Should I add the Mississippi Block, or just add a plain
block.. ( what color should the plain block be) and will it be too "busy if
I added a Mississippi Block..

If all of your blocks (like the one in the picture) have to be set on
point to have the object in the center block be "square", then I would
set the blocks on point, and intersperse with plain blocks, of a
solid, or a 'reads as solid' calico, although I don't know what
color..

If that's not big enough, then what about adding a border made of the
Mississippi block outside of the smaller border you were already
planning?

Just a thought..
//MGL
Old October 8th 03, 01:40 AM
Dustbunny

yes I did fussy cut the chickens.... The rest of the fabric is the red you
see next the block..
Its Ok. I will come up with something.. But I think I will look online to
see if I cannot buy a yard of chickens!

needing info Lauren Glass 3 October 13th 04 03:52 AM
cutting precious stones for the first time, needing help Jesus B Bustamante Jewelry 0 September 21st 03 05:34 PM
Needing yarn / ribbon suggestions Polly Esther Quilting 2 August 22nd 03 02:56 PM