Marlinspike Hitch

Old September 25th 04, 11:48 AM
Erik

Default Marlinspike Hitch

Hi All,

Does anyone here have a web address showing the quick simple method for
tying and using the marlinspike hitch? (Like Toss shows in his book
'Knots')

Over in rec.crafts.metalworking I'm trying to explain the way to use two
of them opposed for quick emergency constrictor hose clamps... but came
up with zero in Google looking for the method.

Thanks!

Erik
Old September 25th 04, 12:27 PM
O J

On Sat, 25 Sep, Erik wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone here have a web address showing the quick simple method for
tying and using the marlinspike hitch? (Like Toss shows in his book
'Knots')

Over in rec.crafts.metalworking I'm trying to explain the way to use two
of them opposed for quick emergency constrictor hose clamps... but came
up with zero in Google looking for the method.

Perhaps you should have looked in Yahoo. I came back with a whole
page of references. Here's one:
http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Marlinspike.html

Regards,
O J

Old September 25th 04, 07:50 PM
Erik

In article ,
O J wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep, Erik wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone here have a web address showing the quick simple method for
tying and using the marlinspike hitch? (Like Toss shows in his book
'Knots')

Over in rec.crafts.metalworking I'm trying to explain the way to use two
of them opposed for quick emergency constrictor hose clamps... but came
up with zero in Google looking for the method.

Perhaps you should have looked in Yahoo. I came back with a whole
page of references. Here's one:
http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Marlinspike.html

Regards,
O J

The link above has a good shot of the completed hitch, but doesn't show
the method to tie it quickly, or which direction it will pull... I was
looking for a web site showing it along the lines of ABOK #2030, or
Toss's book 'Knots', pages 40 and 41 (in my edition).

Erik
Old September 25th 04, 08:20 PM
Erik

In article ,
O J wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep, Erik wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone here have a web address showing the quick simple method for
tying and using the marlinspike hitch? (Like Toss shows in his book
'Knots')

Over in rec.crafts.metalworking I'm trying to explain the way to use two
of them opposed for quick emergency constrictor hose clamps... but came
up with zero in Google looking for the method.

Perhaps you should have looked in Yahoo. I came back with a whole
page of references. Here's one:
http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Marlinspike.html

Regards,
O J

Also, the text associated with the Marlinspike hitch entry in the above
site is just noise! In particular I liked "It is a useful knot if the
sailor needed to hold somehting and wanted to be sure the marlinspike
would be safe". Wow...

Erik
Old September 25th 04, 09:32 PM
Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
Erik wrote:

Over in rec.crafts.metalworking I'm trying to explain the way to use two
of them opposed for quick emergency constrictor hose clamps... but came
up with zero in Google looking for the method.

Sorry man but I don't think the marlinspike hitch is a very good choice for
that purpose. It was never intended for any such thing and it will not do
the job. I mean for crying out loud man, take a hint, it is called a HITCH
for a reason !!

You might want to consider a proper constrictor knot or even a common
whipping. I guess you could use the marlinspike hitch when you are
tightening the whipping.

The link above has a good shot of the completed hitch, but doesn't show
the method to tie it quickly, or which direction it will pull... I was
looking for a web site showing it along the lines of ABOK #2030, or
Toss's book 'Knots', pages 40 and 41 (in my edition).

Look, if somebody cannot understand how to do such a simple thing from the
pictures and description in ABOK, he would be better off calling AAA than
trying to make any emergency repairs on the road himself.

--
Karl Pollak, Richmond, British Columbia
Sea Scouting in Canada at http://www.seascouts.ca/
Old September 25th 04, 09:57 PM
O J

On Sat, 25 Sep, Erik wrote:

Here's one:
http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Marlinspike.html

The link above has a good shot of the completed hitch, but doesn't show
the method to tie it quickly, or which direction it will pull... I was
looking for a web site showing it along the lines of ABOK #2030, or
Toss's book 'Knots', pages 40 and 41 (in my edition).

Sorry, I don't know of one off hand, and I don't recall having seen
one showing the quick method. It's probably not much use to describe
the method, but I can tell you that the side you want to grip is the
one with the extra twist, so that the side with just the loop around
the line is toward the side which you want to pull tight.

Regards,
O J

Old September 25th 04, 10:51 PM
Larry Green

Karl Pollak wrote:
x-no-archive: yes
Erik wrote:

Over in rec.crafts.metalworking I'm trying to explain the way to use two
of them opposed for quick emergency constrictor hose clamps... but came
up with zero in Google looking for the method.

Sorry man but I don't think the marlinspike hitch is a very good choice for
that purpose. It was never intended for any such thing and it will not do
the job. I mean for crying out loud man, take a hint, it is called a HITCH
for a reason !!

Oh look, Pollock is being a pillock again and forgetting to engage his
brain before putting his mouth into gear!

You might want to consider a proper constrictor knot or even a common
whipping. I guess you could use the marlinspike hitch when you are
tightening the whipping.

If you had even bothered to check out the thread the OP referred to
before shooting your mouth off you would have immediately seen that this
is *exactly* the scenario being discussed.

The link above has a good shot of the completed hitch, but doesn't show
the method to tie it quickly, or which direction it will pull... I was
looking for a web site showing it along the lines of ABOK #2030, or
Toss's book 'Knots', pages 40 and 41 (in my edition).

Look, if somebody cannot understand how to do such a simple thing from the
pictures and description in ABOK, he would be better off calling AAA than
trying to make any emergency repairs on the road himself.

Jeez if you blow a fuse over something as trivial as this I would hate
to be in any Scout troop you were in charge of (but there again we
*know* that you are happy to risk the safety of your troop on your poor
knotting skills despite repeated warnings on here and shouldn't be in
charge of a Scout troop in the fist place!)

Do you bitch out the kids for no reason the same way you love to berate
people on here? I suggest you take a happy pill and take the twist out
of your knickers!

--
Larry Green
Old September 26th 04, 12:12 AM
O J

On Sat, 25 Sep, Erik wrote:

The link above has a good shot of the completed hitch, but doesn't show
the method to tie it quickly, or which direction it will pull... I was
looking for a web site showing it along the lines of ABOK #2030, or
Toss's book 'Knots', pages 40 and 41 (in my edition).

And from the original post:
... I'm trying to explain the way to use two
of them opposed for quick emergency constrictor hose clamps...

Let me just make a quick observation. If I understand you correctly,
you're going to tie a constrictor knot around a hose as a temporary
clamp. While a marlinspike hitch is usually the way to go for using
the spike or a stick or what-have-you to tighten something, you'll
probably want to trim the ends close to the constrictor knot when
you're done. If you're going to do that, why not just tie a bowline
in the working ends, put your spikes through the bowlines, and pull
the constrictor knot tight.

Or did I misunderstand you?

Regards,
O J
Old September 26th 04, 12:38 AM
Erik

In article ,
Larry Green wrote:

Karl Pollak wrote:
x-no-archive: yes
Erik wrote:

[...]

Larry devoted more time to the clown than I did for sure. Hell, I didn't
even finish reading his post before I kill filed him... whatever his
name was.

He isn't really allowed near kids, is he?

Erik
Old September 26th 04, 01:31 AM
Larry Green

Erik wrote:

Snip

Larry devoted more time to the clown than I did for sure. Hell, I didn't
even finish reading his post before I kill filed him... whatever his
name was.

He isn't really allowed near kids, is he?

Unfortunately yes!

I would suggest Googling his name in this group but he has started using
'x-no-archive: yes' so that his rants cannot be recalled although I do
have every one of his rants copied to my HD for reference. I did this
simply because I was appalled by his behaviour and could not believe a
Scout leader would act in this manner. My late father was a Scout Master
for many years in the UK and my eldest daughter has been involved with
Scouting here in Canada (thankfully not the Sea Scout group Pollack is
associated with!)

Try Googling this group for the 'Highwayman's Hitch', 'Easy Perfection
Loop', 'Knot Expert Required', 'New thread for Karl Pollack and his
scouts' or 'Request for an opinion from the ladies and gentlemen of
rec_climbing' threads to see just what this guy is like!

--
Larry Green