Reading

Old September 28th 10, 12:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bobbieviorritto

Default Reading

On 9/28/2010 6:56 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 9/27/10 6:08 PM, in article
, "Joan E."
wrote:

On Sep 25, 5:48 am, Cheryl wrote:
Current - Body Work by Sarah Paretsky -
Next - The Crocodile's Last Embrace by Suzzanne Arruda or Sh*t My Dad Says
(DH is currently reading that one and we may let DD read it)

Have recently started the Diana Gabaldon series and am currently on
the 3rd book, Voyager.

Question for those who've read this series: Are the following books
worth reading? A coworker said I should stop after this one. She
felt the following ones rambled too much.

Joan

I stopped part way through #5 - seemed less plot, more, rather repetitive
sex scenes.

#5 Fiery Cross was not Diana's best,that being said #6 A Breathe of snow
and Ashes and her #7 An Echo in the Bone get back into her famous
storytelling mode. DMom has just reread the entire series and asked
"When's the next one coming out".

I have reread the series a couple of times and agree that #5 was not
DG's best.

Bobbie V. Who just finished Sara Donati's The Endless Forest. It is the
last of the Bonner family series.
Old September 28th 10, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn.Mary

On 9/28/2010 2:29 AM, Karen C - California wrote:
Groan. The only thing worse than 300+ pages of boring testimony is 300+
pages of poorly-transcribed boring testimony. For my very best client,
300 pages is about 2 hours work. This was 8 hours of absolute torture.

It was a hand-off from a colleague, so I found myself resenting every
extra minute away from my stitching. (She swears up and down she didn't
realize how bad it was, which I might believe if she hadn't done the
same thing to someone else a few months ago, telling her it was
good-quality stuff that would only take an hour and then getting peeved
because it was so bad it took 5 hours, plus was interrupted because the
person helping her needed to attend a very important meeting related to
her Real Job.)

I take it, then, that you will be extremely careful in accepting
hand-offs from this person in future? Some jobs, in any field, are
simply not worth the money

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old September 28th 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

On Sep 27, 6:14*pm, "Joan E." wrote:
On Sep 26, 7:34*pm, Donna wrote:

if anyone of you have good ebook recommendations for free books,
please let me know!

http://librophile.com/

You can download the audio or ebook formats

Have never used it, but was referred to it by a library coworker!

HTH!

Joan

Thank you, Joan. Looks like some interesting reads available here.

Donna in Virginia
Old September 29th 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Sep 28, 8:19*am, Donna wrote:

Thank you, Joan. Looks like some interesting reads available here.

Glad to help!

Old September 29th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

#5 Fiery Cross was not Diana's best,that being said #6 A Breathe of snow
and Ashes and her #7 An Echo in the Bone *get back into her famous
storytelling mode. DMom has just reread the entire series and asked
"When's the next one coming out".

Thanks Bobbie & Cheryl! Now, will the story make sense if I skip #5?

Joan
Old September 29th 10, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bobbieviorritto

#5 Fiery Cross was not Diana's best,that being said #6 A Breathe of snow
and Ashes and her #7 An Echo in the Bone get back into her famous
storytelling mode. DMom has just reread the entire series and asked
"When's the next one coming out".

Thanks Bobbie& Cheryl! Now, will the story make sense if I skip #5?

Joan

Don't skip #5FC. Just realize the first 100-125 pages are slow going and
anticipate her genius further on.

The Outlander Graphic Novel JUST came out, "the Exile" is the first 1/3
of Outlander told through the persons of Murtaughe and Jamie. DON'T
EXPECT an exact rewrite as Graphic novels need some lassitude to keep
the story moving. Over all it is excellent and I finished it last night.
It is hard bound and the artist did an impressive job.
Bobbie V.
Old October 9th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chemiker

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 06:48:18 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Current - Body Work by Sarah Paretsky -
Next - The Crocodile's Last Embrace by Suzzanne Arruda or Sh*t My Dad Says
(DH is currently reading that one and we may let DD read it)

Cheryl

Just a "Thank You" to the wonderful folks here, who convinced me to
rethink my reading habits (I"ve been doing a *bunch* of rethinking
lately G). I bit the bullet and bought an Kindle...... and a Nook.
There are, after all, *two* of us in this household. What a great way
to spend my American Express reward points! No out-of-pocket!

So far, I am totally happy with my purchase. I have started a library
with The Prince, Gulliver's travels, Barry Lyndon, Leviathan, and a
few others, all at no charge. Hooked up right to my in-house WiFi and
downloaded each in less than 60 seconds! When I was in college, I
worked in the school library's book bindery and I thought *That* was
good, what with unrestricted access to the stacks and all. I think I
have now died and gone to heaven! And *this* right after I discovered
CommonCents, which allows me a cell phone at 7 cts/min flat, rounded
down to the nearest minute, no extra (surprise!) charges. 15 cts/min
international!

Alex is moving, however slowly, into the 21st century.

Thank you all again. I've always appreciated the advice of those in
this NG.

Alex, who has a personal library of *cookbooks* that exceedst 300,
down from the 800 it used to be. Fiction works are uncounted, but the
DW is distressed every time we go to the supermarket and I see a new
best-seller. Let this house be free from strife and dissension.

Old October 9th 10, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 10/8/2010 7:38 PM, Chemiker wrote:

Alex is moving, however slowly, into the 21st century.

And Sue is close behind him!

Thanks for the mention of Common Cents. I'm going to look into that. We
currently use a TracPhone, which is expensive per-minute, but so rarely
used that we always run out of *time* before we use up our minutes. (As
in, you buy 30 days and, say, 30 minutes. When there's one day left, we
still have 27 minutes!) It's really just to carry for peace of mind when
on the road.

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old October 9th 10, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley

Susan Hartman wrote:

On 10/8/2010 7:38 PM, Chemiker wrote:

Alex is moving, however slowly, into the 21st century.

And Sue is close behind him!

Thanks for the mention of Common Cents. I'm going to look into that. We
currently use a TracPhone, which is expensive per-minute, but so rarely
used that we always run out of *time* before we use up our minutes. (As
in, you buy 30 days and, say, 30 minutes. When there's one day left, we
still have 27 minutes!) It's really just to carry for peace of mind when
on the road.

We have Virgin Mobile phones, and we pay something like 10cent/minute,
but as long as we let them autocharge $5/month the minutes never
expire. They'll even let you give minutes to another phone on the
same sccount (DD ran through her minutes really fast one month (not
totally her fault, we should have expected it when she went off to
uni), and we were able to give her some minutes from our phones).

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :

Old October 9th 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Chemiker

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 09:24:51 -0400, Susan Hartman
wrote:

On 10/8/2010 7:38 PM, Chemiker wrote:

Alex is moving, however slowly, into the 21st century.

And Sue is close behind him!

Thanks for the mention of Common Cents. I'm going to look into that. We
currently use a TracPhone, which is expensive per-minute, but so rarely
used that we always run out of *time* before we use up our minutes. (As
in, you buy 30 days and, say, 30 minutes. When there's one day left, we
still have 27 minutes!) It's really just to carry for peace of mind when
on the road.

With CC, I don't think the minutes survive the time period, except
that new customers get 200 bonus minutes that keep rolling over so
long as the account is active. Having said that, their rates are $20
for one month, and $30 for 2 ( you get a minimum 600 minutes, but with
"round down" you may actually use as high as 848.) That is $15 a month
flat rate. (One month gets you as high as 565) If you go with a 12
month card, the flat rate is $12.50/month, and you'd have to really
work to use up your minutes during the year. I expect, like you, I'll
never use up the minutes on my phone, since I bought mine for the
same reason you did. BTW: They use the Sprint cell phone tower
network, so coverage is pretty good. Also, the phones have a reporting
feature that advises you how many minutes you have left for use. I
like that. Where I live, only walmart carries the refills, but you can
do so online if that's your preference.

HTH

Alex

OT - reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 6 March 18th 10 09:08 AM
So what is everybody reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 39 September 22nd 09 05:17 AM
still reading off kilter quilter Quilting 2 April 5th 06 04:15 PM
OT - reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 5 July 12th 05 06:42 PM
Way OT--Reading Lucille Needlework 14 September 18th 03 02:36 AM