Sewing Machine questions

Old February 19th 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Sewing Machine questions

My machine is a Kenmore Elite. I am having problems with the needle
deciding to move on its own or not move. I can press the pedal and it
will sew for a bit then stop without my foot coming off the pedal.
And the other times, I'll take my foot off the pedal and it will
continue to sew. Not at a fast pace but it still sews.

Anyone have this problem before? Anyone know what the solution is to
having it fixed? I have cleaned out the inside of the machine so that
isn't the problem. I'm thinking now it is probably a pedal problem
and will need a new one but would like to know what other's
experiences are if any.

TIA,

Marilyn
Old February 19th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

sounds like a loose wire/connection. take it to the repair guy, he can
fix the problem and you may not have to buy a new one.

amy in CNY
Old February 19th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

If it occasionally stitches without the foot pedal, I'm thinking the SM just
might be haunted. Don't sleep alone in the house with it until you make
yourself a necklace of garlic or something. No . . . that's vampires, isn't
it? To be on the safe side, perhaps you'd better unplug it until you can
get it to a repairman. Polly

"amy in CNY" wrote sounds like a loose wire/connection. take it to the

Old February 19th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

i had the same problem years ago.
i unplugged the whole foot pedal assembly from the machine.
unscrewed all the screws i found on the outside so i could get into it to
check the metal connections.
there was a whole mess of dust in there. cleaned it out, cleaned the metal
where they touch with some rubbing alcohol so there was a good clean
connection, screwed it all back together and it worked a treat. has been
fine ever since.
now that might not work with your pedal, might need a repairperson or might
need to be replaced but i first fix things if i can. what have you got to
lose. if you cant fix it, repair or replace.
you fixing it saves money for more s.e.x. )
good luck,
j.

"Allison" wrote...
Sounds to me like there could be something jamming/loose in the foot
pedal. Could you take it apart and clean it? Or at least look at it
from the outside to see if a bit of something got caught.
Allison

Old February 20th 09, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

wrote:
My machine is a Kenmore Elite. I am having problems with the needle
deciding to move on its own or not move. I can press the pedal and it
will sew for a bit then stop without my foot coming off the pedal.
And the other times, I'll take my foot off the pedal and it will
continue to sew. Not at a fast pace but it still sews.

Anyone have this problem before? Anyone know what the solution is to
having it fixed? I have cleaned out the inside of the machine so that
isn't the problem. I'm thinking now it is probably a pedal problem
and will need a new one but would like to know what other's
experiences are if any.

TIA,

Marilyn

Marilyn, I am not sure who makes your Kenmore but I had a lot of
problems with the new controller for my Janome 6600. I was told
when the machine continued to sew after I stopped pushing on it
to unplug it from the machine. If that stops the machine than it
is the controller. If the machine still goes on it is the machine.
My problem was the controller. SInce I had no warranty coverage
my husband took it apart and cleaned it and it seemed to be ok for
awhile. Last month I started having the same problem. He had
warned me the poor design and all our hairy pets would mean the
controller might need to be cleaned often. He again took it apart
and cleaned it but this time it didn't help. So he took it apart
again. He re-soldered the contacts and used a micro file on the
points of the slide resistors. He checked the capacitor but that was
fine. I am knocking wood that it will stay working as good as it has
the last couple of weeks. The machine speed is consistent and working
properly for the first time in the year and a half I have had it. I
have really been frustrated with the machine but it seems to be
behaving for the first time. A new controller for this machine was
around $100 so it was worth fiddling with it. DH was an electronics
tech so that helped. I would suggest a good sewing machine repair
guy over a Sears tech. Good luck with it and let us know how you do.
Taria
Old February 20th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

That's why I like mechanical devices instead of all electronic - it's
very satisfying to go in and clean things up and make them happy again!
Allison

Old February 21st 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

I agree with Polly! After all, this problem falls between Friday the 13th of
February and Friday the 13th of March. That HAS to be significant!!! Dum de
dum dum ....
PAT in VA/USA

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
If it occasionally stitches without the foot pedal, I'm thinking the SM
just might be haunted. Don't sleep alone in the house with it until you
make yourself a necklace of garlic or something. No . . . that's
vampires, isn't it? To be on the safe side, perhaps you'd better unplug
it until you can get it to a repairman. Polly

New sewing machine questions John Quilting 0 September 26th 07 03:09 PM
Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
Is ths a good deal? Grace Quilting Sewing Frame +Janome 1600 Sewing Machine bobbi Quilting 12 December 8th 06 09:18 PM
Questions on machine quilting Debra Quilting 24 January 28th 04 04:50 PM
Two Sewing Machine Questions Jacquard_The_Ripper Quilting 4 September 30th 03 04:26 PM