OT

Old October 31st 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sandy Bell

Default OT

As the holiday season approaches my thoughts turn to baking/food etc
and this year I have been thinking I'd like to do a pumpkin pie for
family & friends but all the receipts I find call for 'pumpkin spice'
which is unavailable here is Oz. So ladies, please head for the
pantry and tell me just what is in 'pumpkin spice'. Thank you so very
much.
Sandy
Old October 31st 10, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Sandy Bell" wrote in message
As the holiday season approaches my thoughts turn to baking/food etc
and this year I have been thinking I'd like to do a pumpkin pie for
family & friends but all the receipts I find call for 'pumpkin spice'
which is unavailable here is Oz. So ladies, please head for the
pantry and tell me just what is in 'pumpkin spice'. Thank you so very
much.
Sandy

Here's a very easy one and I think you probably have all the ingredients
available in Oz.

How To Make Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
By Diana Rattray, About.com Guide

Use what you have in the pantry to make this spice blend.
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 5 minutes
Here's How:
1.Measure 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon into a small bowl or cup.
2.Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger.
3.Add 1/8 teaspoon of ground allspice or ground cloves.
4.Add 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
5.Stir to blend.
6.Makes 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.

Tips:
1.Use this blend in pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, cakes, cookies and
custard.
What You Need:
..1/2 tsp cinnamon
..1/4 tsp ginger, ground
..1/8 tsp allspice
..1/8 tsp nutmeg, ground

Old October 31st 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 10/30/2010 9:18 PM, Lucille wrote:

"Sandy Bell" wrote in message
[...]

That looks just about right. However, the American teaspoon is a tad
different from other places.(IIRC the English teaspoon is smaller). As
long as you get the proportions right, you can't go far wrong. I looked
at one of my books, hoping to convert the volume to metric..but didn't
find anything really fast, and it is bedtime.. I know you can find it on
the INternet. Liquid measurements, 1 US teaspoon is 5 ml...but that
probably doesn't apply to volume!

Gillian
Florida...originally from UK.
Old October 31st 10, 09:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sandy Bell

On Oct 31, 7:22*pm, lucretia borgia wrote:
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:04:33 -0400, Gillian Murray

"Sandy Bell" wrote in message
[...]

You can google measurement converters for just about anything, however
with spices for pumpkin pie I feel they should be prominent as pumpkin
does not have masses of flavour and I like the cinnamon to come over.

This is Sheena who is currently close to where Gillian grew up and who
is going to roast a nice lamb should today for her elderly uncle and
aunt. * I'll think of you when I walk up 'your' road lol- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Gillian and everyone else! This has helped no end - have a
conversion app on my iphone and with alittle adjustment should be able
to come up with the right mix. Ah, nothing beats a good lamb roast -
something I didn't get to try until I came to Aus.
Sandy
Old October 31st 10, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Sandy Bell" wrote in message
[...]

Good to hear from you and to know everything is going well.

Lucille

Old October 31st 10, 12:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

Lucille gave you a WONDERFUL recipe. I would add a wee pinch of
ground cloves, though!

Old November 1st 10, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Oct 30, 8:47*pm, Sandy Bell wrote:
As the holiday season approaches my thoughts turn to baking/food etc
and this year I have been thinking I'd like to do a pumpkin pie for
family & friends but all the receipts I find call for 'pumpkin spice'
which is unavailable here is Oz. *So ladies, please head for the
pantry and tell me just what is in 'pumpkin spice'. *Thank you so very
much.
Sandy

I think pumpkin spice is a marketing ploy to sell more spices.
All these recipes are making me hungry for pumpkin
pie.

Our family's recipe....from my grandmother

This makes 2 pies or 1 pie
1 9in, 1 8in

1 can (15 oz) pumpkin 1 cup
2/3 c sugar 1/3 c
4 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp
2 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp
2 tsp ginger 1/2 tsp
4 eggs 2 eggs
Add milk so it is like thin pancake batter
2 1/2 c ???
We never make just one pie.

Bake at 450 15 min
at 300 45 min

Nancy
Old November 1st 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

"Sandy Bell" wrote in message

[...]

I remember learning to ride my bicycle down Hawthorn Rd..with my Dad's
secretary holding onto the seat, and running with me. After the war she
went to medical school..and did well.

Gill