Question for the vegans

Old February 18th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Question for the vegans

One thing about soy ... it does interact a with certain medicines. So, if
you take any prescriptions, be sure to check with your Pharmacist before
adding soy to your diet. Also, if you do use it, it may be helpful to
mention that to guests who might have issues.
HTH. PAT in VA/USA

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
I know we have at least a couple of vegans here, so I thought I'd ask for a
bit of help.

Background: not a vegan, no intention of becoming one, but we are trying
to have a couple of meatless days a week for various reasons (health and
cost being big ones). I have a number of food allergies, so many vegan
recipes work well for me.

So here's my question. In vegetarian recipes calling for cream, what's the
substitution? Soy milk usually subs nicely for milk, but cream has me
stumped. Would a full-fat coconut milk work? Something else?

Old February 18th 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

I always ask guests about food issues before inviting them over, so that's
not a problem. And here in California with our large Asian population, soy
is pretty much a given so I would definitely expect someone to pipe up when
asked.

Dang it, now you've got me thinking about the tofu and ginger Thai curry
from a restaurant near my house. I guess I know what I'm having for lunch
tomorrow! LOL

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathyapplebaum/

Old February 18th 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

i'm probably way off base but i shall ask nonetheless.
i was of the understanding that soy is used as a filler in lots of prepared
foods?
i'd therefore assume it shows on the labelling somewhere.
if this is indeed the case, i wonder how many folks are on various meds and
no Dr told them about the soy interaction and so they never knew to read the
labels?
how much soy does it take to get a negative reaction to a med?
what other ingredients might have a negative interaction with different
meds?
there might be a lot of info/knowledge we need to acquire in our own best
interests.
off to do some online reading.
shrug,
j.
at present not on any meds but ya never know and i'd rather be
forewarned....just in case

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote...

Old February 21st 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Jeanne:
I have no idea how many medicines would be affected by soy,probably not
lots. I do know that anyone who takes a Thyroid Hormone Replacement might
want to inquire about this issue. Always read the monograph that accompanies
medicine. "Know your Medicine. Know your Pharmacist."
PAT

Old February 21st 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Our kiri takes synthroid.
Her doctors have variously told her not to worry about soy, to avoid
it to the point of giving up soy sauce, and to just be careful about
how much she eats.
The pharmacists at one drug store have told her to be careful and read
lables to make sure it is not becoming a major part of her diet. The
pharmacists at the new place told her not to worry about it.

I just want to get all of them in the same place, line them all up,
and smack each and every one of them. Them or the people feeding them
their info. I'm not sure who needs it most.

NightMist

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:38:13 -0500, "Pat in Virginia"
wrote:

[...]

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.