OT computer help needed

Old February 12th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Default OT computer help needed

Have you tried going into the device manager section? Look for the
keyboard folder - open it up and it should tell you if there is a
problem and give you an error code for a solution - open up the help
section when you get to this area for additional steps to follow.
jennellh

On Feb 11, 6:07*pm, "KJ" wrote:
I'm having a problem with my keyboard going dead. *If I reboot the computer,
it will work again....maybe for days or maybe just for a few hours or
minutes. *I have NO idea what could cause this. *DS bought me a new keyboard
after the first one went bad.....(but maybe it was only as "bad" as the new
one!) *The new one worked right away after being plugged in....but it
started acting up not long after throwing out the old one. *I can't
determine any certain thing that makes it crap out. *I once thought it would
go dead after I'd mistakenly hit two keys at once, but sometimes it is
"dead" after sitting idle for a while. *Any ideas? *Class? *Bueller?
Bueller? *Thanks for any ideas.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsihttp://community.webshots.com/user/kathylquiltz

Old February 12th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Who decided that important things must be shoved against a wall - impossible
to reach or see? Frankly, I think we should keep our computers as well as
washers and dryers out in the middle of the room. If that's unacceptable,
maybe we could just put them on something like wheelbarrow tires. Or how
about walls that can be kicked out of the way by a baby kitty?
I first wondered about this madness decades ago when my washing machine
dealer wanted to know the serial number on my washer. He said to put a
mirror against the wall behind the washer and read it off to him. Mirror
image, right? Why isn't the model/serial number on the front? When
quilters take over the world, things will be different. And much more
beautiful. Polly

"KJ" wrote I'll see if I can get dh to got back there and check. I can't
quite do that
yet. Seems like it should be something simple like that. I may have
already had ds try doing that earlier. But maybe he didn't get it seated
tightly.

Old February 12th 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

KJ wrote:
This is a brand new keyboard. It's doing the same thing the old one did
when I kicked it to the curb. No crumbs or dustbunnies inhabiting it yet.

which suggests it's something to do with the connection, at the computer
end of things, but whether that's physical or not it's hard to say, it
could be a USB driver issue, rather than a keyboard driver issue.

Cheers
Anne
Old February 12th 09, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Yup.....I've looked there and it says "everything is working properly".
Liar. It...not you Jennell.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old February 12th 09, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I know....it's that silly? Most of the plug ins are in the back. DUH! Why
not on the sides? There are a couple USB connectors on the front....but not
enough. My serial number is on the side though. At least they got that
right!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old February 12th 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I confess....I don't understand drivers....how to update them, when to
update them....etc. I'm trying to nurse this computer along a while
longer. I really don't relish the thought of loading up a new one with all
my programs etc. My DVD player is goofy....the drawer won't open. Now my
keyboard is loony...and I have a lot of application hangs. tick tick
tick..... it's a time bomb.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old February 12th 09, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

i dont know how old it all is but i'm sure with a little bit of perseverance
you could get all those updates on the drivers and install them all by
yourself.
holler if we can help here.
there is a lot of knowledge here on puters as well as quilting.
good thing to do while you're still a bit incapacitated, eh.
hugz,
j.

"KJ" wrote...

Old February 12th 09, 10:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

New cable too?
Roberta in D (recently replaced the batteries in my wireless one)

Old February 12th 09, 10:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

One of the nicest things DH (our family geek) ever gave me was a USB
adaptor, sits up on the desk where I can see it, easy to plug stuff
in, has about 6 sockets. So I have THAT plugged into the hard-to see
back of the machine.
Roberta in D