cupboards full of doilies etc what to do with them

Old September 11th 06, 10:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
The Lady Gardener

Default cupboards full of doilies etc what to do with them

Time for a public confession - I am a hoarder. I have hundreds of lovely
embroidered or crocheted doilies that have some how accumulated in my
cupboards.

I am not the sort of person who would use them in my everyday life, and even
if I was I have several life expectancies worth to get through.

Most are in excellent condition and the idea of sinking my scissors into
them is not one I am really comfortable with - but I might grow into that.
I'm not inclined to bother with selling them via eBay etc.

Question is - does anyone have any ideas of how they might be incorporated
into something useful and everyday? All ideas are welcome.

Joanne in a blustery Perth, where winter might have arrived, albeit 3 months
late!

Old September 11th 06, 10:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
FSUStitcher

The Lady Gardener wrote:
Time for a public confession - I am a hoarder. I have hundreds of lovely
embroidered or crocheted doilies that have some how accumulated in my
cupboards.

I am not the sort of person who would use them in my everyday life, and even
if I was I have several life expectancies worth to get through.

Most are in excellent condition and the idea of sinking my scissors into
them is not one I am really comfortable with - but I might grow into that.
I'm not inclined to bother with selling them via eBay etc.

Question is - does anyone have any ideas of how they might be incorporated
into something useful and everyday? All ideas are welcome.

Joanne in a blustery Perth, where winter might have arrived, albeit 3 months
late!

Several years ago I saw a suggestion in one of the woman's mags to
stitch them to squares of material that was then stitched together to
make a bed spread. The mag suggested squares of 16 x 16 (finished)
which could be converted into 4 x 4 or 8 x 4 depending on the size of
the doilies. The finished spread was to be covered with an organza and
tied down at each point of the "square". I'm probably not explaining
myself clearly, but hope you get the idea. You could also stitch them
to pillows or use the small ones for potpourri holders or christmas
ornaments. HTH

FSUStitcher

Old September 11th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

The Lady Gardener wrote:
Time for a public confession - I am a hoarder. I have hundreds of lovely
embroidered or crocheted doilies that have some how accumulated in my
cupboards.

I am not the sort of person who would use them in my everyday life, and even
if I was I have several life expectancies worth to get through.
.....does anyone have any ideas of how they might be incorporated
into something useful and everyday? All ideas are welcome.

Make a quilt. All you need to do is appliqué each doily onto a
square of fabric and then join the squares into a quilt top. I have
made several baby quilts for little girls by doing this with purchased
doilies. If you sew or quilt and want more info or possible links to
sites with in-depth directions, try posting your query over at R.C.T.Q.,
the quilting newsgroup. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old September 11th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
edna

A few years ago I made my daughter a bedspread from assorted doilies. I
found a double bed linen sheet and used it as a base. Any worn edges I
tucked under the good edges. She loved it!

Edna in (normally) sunny Sydney where is has been pouring rain for a few
days.

"The Lady Gardener" wrote

Old September 11th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Joanne ,
If they are cloth doilies you might make them into patchwork tablr
cloth , or bedcover , pillow c ases , shirts,lampshades , skirts bags
, dolls , fiberart work..
If they are knitted or lacy , lamp sahades and curtains, tops of
nighties and delicate shirt. Scraves , ponchos ..
i hope you find a nice way to use them,..
mirjam

Old September 11th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

I have seen them appliqued onto clothing (generally vests, but sometimes
shirts). You'd use the smaller ones on the front and the larger ones on
the back.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 9/10/06 - two ornaments

WIP: baby and housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old September 11th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

FSUStitcher wrote:
The Lady Gardener wrote:
[...]

When my wife took up crotching umpteen years ago she taught herself to
"cast on" but never really read the bit about "casting off".
Consequently her doilies turned into bedspreads that I can hardly lift -
known in our household as "Maureen's Monsters".
--
Bruce Fletcher
btinternetDOTcomATricardian
Old September 11th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
mickey

The Lady Gardener wrote:
Time for a public confession - I am a hoarder. I have hundreds of lovely
embroidered or crocheted doilies that have some how accumulated in my
cupboards.

I am not the sort of person who would use them in my everyday life, and even
if I was I have several life expectancies worth to get through.

Most are in excellent condition and the idea of sinking my scissors into
them is not one I am really comfortable with - but I might grow into that.
I'm not inclined to bother with selling them via eBay etc.

Question is - does anyone have any ideas of how they might be incorporated
into something useful and everyday? All ideas are welcome.

Joanne in a blustery Perth, where winter might have arrived, albeit 3 months
late!

I've seen them used as valances, and I loved that look.

--

--Mickey
Edmonton, AB

to reply: mickey18385 at yahoo dot com
Old September 11th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

The Lady Gardener wrote:
Question is - does anyone have any ideas of how they might be incorporated
into something useful and everyday? All ideas are welcome.

Oh, so many good ideas have been posted! Personally, I really like the
baby blanket idea best. (But I get really sappy about anything
baby...I love babies) What ever you end up doing with them, I hope you
will be able to show us.

Old September 12th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 9/11/06 5:26 PM, "mickey" wrote:

The Lady Gardener wrote:
Time for a public confession - I am a hoarder. I have hundreds of lovely
embroidered or crocheted doilies that have some how accumulated in my
cupboards.

I am not the sort of person who would use them in my everyday life, and even
if I was I have several life expectancies worth to get through.

Most are in excellent condition and the idea of sinking my scissors into
them is not one I am really comfortable with - but I might grow into that.
I'm not inclined to bother with selling them via eBay etc.

Question is - does anyone have any ideas of how they might be incorporated
into something useful and everyday? All ideas are welcome.

Joanne in a blustery Perth, where winter might have arrived, albeit 3 months
late!

I've seen them used as valances, and I loved that look.

Valances are a nice idea. You could sew them together, or mount onto a
carrier fabric, and make table runners, or placemats. Or sew them back to
back, with a small pouch of good smelly stuff in between (like a little
tulle baggie) and have sachets for drawers and closets. You could
decoupage them onto some boxes, containers to hold anything. Or you could
get some plain picture frames and decoupage them on. You could put them on
mat boards, that you then use around items you're framing.

Have fun.

ellice

Using half stitches in place of full stitches deniseb Needlework 15 July 5th 06 02:35 AM
Full Selection of Dremel Tools & Accessories blokemn Carving 0 January 3rd 05 04:31 PM
1st Annual New England Full Day Orchid Celebration Ganoksin Beads 1 May 17th 04 01:53 AM
beaded doilies Manuela Beads 5 December 10th 03 08:48 PM
At what age is a dog full grown? OT Barbara Forbes-Lyons Beads 3 July 8th 03 10:11 PM