Yarn Substitution

Old August 23rd 03, 01:01 AM
SlinkyToy

Default Yarn Substitution

You can always substitute, but you need to keep a few things in mind.

1. You get what you pay for.
2. Any time you change the yarn, you change the character of the
item. The designer(s) chose that yarn for a reason - can you
duplicate the project with different yarn?
3. You get what you pay for - are these truly scarves, designed to be
worn around the neck and tucked under a coat, or are they stoles to be
thrown over the shoulders? Cheap yucky yarn will be cheap yucky yarn
around the neck, or may make up into a tacky stole for public viewing.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:55:42 -0500, "Bookfan"
wrote:

I recently found some interesting scarf patterns in the latest Family Circle
Easy Knitting magazine. However, two of the patterns I like use rather
($6.00 and up a skein) expensive yarns. One is crocheted using Soft-Kid by
GGH/Muench Yarns and the other uses Luxor by Skacel Collections. My
question is, is it possible to substitute less expensive yarns for the ones
recommended? If so, what would you recommend?

Laura

Old August 23rd 03, 01:13 AM
Bookfan

I think that these scarves are meant to be seen, however, I can't see paying
$9.49 a skein for the GGH/Muench yarn for a scarf that uses 5 skeins. Close
to $50.00 for a scarf is a bit much at this point in my crocheting career.

Old August 23rd 03, 01:18 AM
Bookfan

Though from the description of the yarn, I'm sure the scarf would be very
soft and would get much use.

Old August 23rd 03, 01:21 AM
SlinkyToy

I'm not one to fault you for looking for a less-costly alternative,
but these are things to think about any time you look at a pattern and
consider subbing yarns.

You might consider learning to spindle-spin - a little fiber goes a
long way once you get the hang of it, and you can spin what you need
for the project at hand. Unless of course the project wants some
weird rayon ribbon

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:13:51 -0500, "Bookfan"
wrote:

I think that these scarves are meant to be seen, however, I can't see paying
$9.49 a skein for the GGH/Muench yarn for a scarf that uses 5 skeins. Close
to $50.00 for a scarf is a bit much at this point in my crocheting career.
.. .

Old August 23rd 03, 05:09 AM
Sonya Cirillo

I have to slightly disagree with some of this. . .

I'm sorry, but I've paid a lot of money for yarn and have had it become
the worst yarn I ever used. . . and some of the best yarn I ever used
was found in a clearance sale bin at a discount store - acrylic no-name,
no dye lot and only 25 cent a skein (it's been a while) - that yarn
was soft, warm and lasted forever. I made the sweater in 1988 and the
xDH wore it 2-3 times a week, every year and still owns it - it looks
brand new still. The worst yarn I bought was very, very expensive (for
the time) and within one season was ratty and had shrunk (even with
careful hand washing and laying it out to dry and he only wore it every
other week or so) so much that xDH couldn't wear it. . . so cost isn't
always the best indicator - just usually.

Sometimes a designer uses a particular yarn because they were paid (or
given that yarn for free) to use that yarn. . . so yes the pattern was
indeed intended for that yarn. But if you are careful or adventerous
(sp!?), it is fun to change yarns. But beware - when changing yarns -
you might need to change needle sizes and recalculate the number of
stitches! (not to mention, I have collected old magazines that specify
yarns that haven't been made in years! You *have* to substitute!)

Some of the 'cheap' yarn is quite nice - Homespun (not really 'cheap' in
my books) is a nice yarn - soft, light and can be had on sale sometimes
- but it's somewhat of a pain to knit/crochet with - hard to count your
stitches.

In another post you mention learning to spin - that's what I'm doing
now! I can't really afford much of the sock yarn that's available (well
the new yarn Lion Brand is now available and at an acceptable price)
plus I'd like to knit solid colors, instead of only designs sooooooo I'm
slowly learning to spin my own with a result of socks that will cost
~$4/pair instead of $16/pair - then we will be able to all have lots of
wool socks for the winter (eventually) - instead of a few pair!

I heartily agree with examining sales bins - my DH doesn't blink an eye
- I have such a stash of yarn right now - much of which was bought
without a particular pattern in mind . . . but he knows it will, some
day become something wearable when the right pattern/occasion comes along!

Sonya

Old August 23rd 03, 06:34 AM
H Schinske

Sonya ) wrote:

The worst yarn I bought was very, very expensive (for
the time) and within one season was ratty and had shrunk (even with
careful hand washing and laying it out to dry and he only wore it every
other week or so) so much that xDH couldn't wear it. . . so cost isn't
always the best indicator - just usually.

Ain't it the truth! I don't actually understand *why* yarn should cost so much,
particularly very basic colors that people use huge quantities of, like
off-white Aran yarn. I can kind of see it with all the unusual colors and
patterns that go in and out of style. I think there is something funny about
the market.

--Helen

ISO Yarn Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 12 September 25th 04 02:19 PM
Fun Fur, Sock Yarn, Cottons, Other Yarn for Sale ellbee Marketplace 0 April 6th 04 03:12 PM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 03:19 AM
stinky yarn Laurie Yarn 54 August 15th 03 04:12 PM
New Yarn - Bernat Lu Lu Make Up Yarn 6 July 29th 03 09:16 AM