Crazy quilt "filler" question

Old February 17th 05, 09:34 PM
Volfie, Owner, GizzMutt Stables

Default Crazy quilt "filler" question

I'm just making my first crazy quilt and I want it to be one of those things
you can throw over you in the summer for a nap in the A/C and I want to keep
in nice and light and *thin*. Can I just put a back on it since the crazy
quilting is built up on cotton and/or muslin blocks in the first place thus
giving the whole thing three layers? Would it cause any problem with
durability if there were no batting/filler in it? Would it still stand up
to free motion quilting okay? Any suggesions/war stories welcome.

Giselle (still in love with no pattern piecing

Old February 17th 05, 09:49 PM
Joanna

I would say go for it. My only concern would be could you feel the seams
through the back. Some people don't care but I can't handle feeling a
seam through the backing. I'm not meaning actually feeling for it more
when your using it would a seam irate you if you felt it. Other than
that your logic is fine.
Joanna

--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old February 17th 05, 09:51 PM
georg

Volfie, Owner, GizzMutt Stables wrote:

I'm just making my first crazy quilt and I want it to be one of those things
you can throw over you in the summer for a nap in the A/C and I want to keep
in nice and light and *thin*. Can I just put a back on it since the crazy
quilting is built up on cotton and/or muslin blocks in the first place thus
giving the whole thing three layers? Would it cause any problem with
durability if there were no batting/filler in it? Would it still stand up
to free motion quilting okay? Any suggesions/war stories welcome.

My Meme's Victorian crazy quilt was without batting and true quilting.
It was all done on a sheet, with another sheet behind it.

My mum made a bedspread for her bed- it was a lovely pieced quilt
without any batting, and she quilted it anyway so the pieced layer and
backing would stay together.

If that's the way you want to make a quilt, go for it. Repeat after me:
"There are no Quilt Police. No one will come to your home and take your
sewing machine, quilts, and supplies away if you do it 'wrong.' So do
what makes you happy."

-georg
Old February 17th 05, 10:21 PM
Volfie, Owner, GizzMutt Stables

"georg" wrote in message
[..]
If that's the way you want to make a quilt, go for it. Repeat after me:
"There are no Quilt Police. No one will come to your home and take your
sewing machine, quilts, and supplies away if you do it 'wrong.' So do what
makes you happy."

Oh, trust me, I don't worry about the quilt police. I worry about trashing
the quilt the first time I use it/wash it/fold it/look at it too hard/etc.
I hate doing all that work for nuthin'.

Giselle (in other words, I want the quilt to last long than the cursing that
would insue if it fell apart prematurely)

Old February 17th 05, 10:29 PM
georg

Volfie, Owner, GizzMutt Stables wrote:

"georg" wrote in message
[..]

If that's the way you want to make a quilt, go for it. Repeat after me:
"There are no Quilt Police. No one will come to your home and take your
sewing machine, quilts, and supplies away if you do it 'wrong.' So do what
makes you happy."

Oh, trust me, I don't worry about the quilt police. I worry about trashing
the quilt the first time I use it/wash it/fold it/look at it too hard/etc.
I hate doing all that work for nuthin'.

Giselle (in other words, I want the quilt to last long than the cursing that
would insue if it fell apart prematurely)

Mum still uses hers 15 years later. Meme's still graces her bed, even
though no one sleeps in it any more (that one was 130ish years old).

It'll wear like any quilt.

-georg
Old February 17th 05, 11:45 PM
Rita

I made a crazy by using muslin as a filling and a silk backing. Tied it
together instead of quilting. Did buy an antique crazy at an auction where
it was made of wool and was hand quilted!

--
Rita
http://ritasquilts.com

Old February 18th 05, 11:36 AM
Roberta Zollner

Sure! Crazies traditionally used no batting, and they were tied. Too tough
to hand quilt all those seams, which were hand embroidered anyway. But of
course you could machine quilt, no problem! It's a great way to add extra
texture, and it's sturdier than tying.
Roberta in D