Rate your stash

Old October 16th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default Rate your stash

Tuesday night, my EGA chapter held its annual rummage sale. Some of us donate
stuff, some of us buy stuff, some of us do both. The tables at this year's sale
overflowed with items from the estate of one of our founding members. I've come
to realize that stitchers need/want large amounts of supplies but my mind
boggled by what I saw of Elaine's stash. Karen who is overseeing distribution
of Elaine's possessions is an avid stitcher and told us that she kept thing
that interested.

Here's a partial list: 4-5 laundry baskets full of crewel and needlepoint yarn;
20-30 stretcher bars and hoops; yards of needlepoint canvas, aida, and linen;
what looked like hundreds of unopened crewel, candlewicking, and other
embroidery kits; knitting patterns and yarn; rug hooking patterns, kits, tools,
yarn; lots of books and leaflets; and what was for me the most astonishing
items -- many, many, many designs that were mounted on stretcher bars with just
a little bit of stitching on each piece.

As someone relatively new to 'organized' stitching, I naturally just *had* to
buy some (actually many) things. I may have to buy another couch or two to
display all the pillows I might have someday. My family thinks I have a lot but
when I see what my sister stitchers own, it's obvious to me that on a scale of
1-10, my stash would be a 2 or just barely a 3.

How would you rate your stash?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old October 16th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/16/08 8:58 AM, in article
, "anne"
wrote:

[...]

I'll put myself at a 4 to a 5...

Cheryl

Old October 16th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

Hmm - my husband would say a 6, I say a 4. I have some of everything,
a lot of patterns and two notebooks full of ideas for surface work -
and that doesn't count my coloring books! All kinds of threads - but
never what I need/want LOL! Probably 20 kits - crewel, candlewicking,
XS and embroidery. Three unstitched painted canvases and a ton of
patterns for cross stitch and needlepoint. I have two kitted up
needlepoint projects (one painted canvas, one charted) waiting in the
closet to be given to me for Christmas. But I don't think I come near
your estate sale!

Linda
Old October 16th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

On Oct 16, 8:58*am, anne wrote:
[...]

Last year I created a database about this, but I didn't keep it up.
And then my DH nicely removed that program and its associated files.
(ARGH!)

But I know I've had many more starts this year than finishes. I'd
guess I've got around 40 pieces completed kitted and at least started.
And another 40 or so completely kitted.

LOL These numbers are likely to underestimations...

Add to this a large collection of fibers. All the DMC floss. Most of
the Anchor floss. Took up hardanger again this year and have lots of
DMC perle cotton now. A growing collection of Splendor silk. And
plenty of overdyed silks and cottons.

My fabric stash is growing smaller as I have been trying to work from
it. But now I've gained a growing collection of canvas.

Lots of scroll rods, hoops, and a growing collection of stretcher bars
to go with the canvas.

Many magazines. Lots of patterns. And growing collection of books.
Probably around one hundred.

I think this means my stash is on the serious side of 5. Maybe a 7?

Donna in Virginia

Old October 16th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/16/08 8:58 AM, in article
, "anne"
wrote:

[...]

I have seen Cheryl's stash! I would have put mine at a 6, but have
been whittling down a bit, so am probably a 5.

Gillian
Old October 16th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Queencityxstitcher

anne wrote:
[...]

I would rate mine at an 8.49. Igot rid of some of it to my DILs. Bobbie V.
Old October 16th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

DILs?

Old October 16th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

On Oct 16, 2:20*pm, lewmew wrote:
DILs?

Never mind - I misread it and thought it said you got rid of some of
your DILs (not to your DILs).

Old October 16th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Donna" wrote in message
On Oct 16, 8:58 am, anne wrote:
[...]

I have a medium collection of fibers, all the DMC floss, a small shopping
bag full of jiffy bags with either unnamed or old Coats and PeriLusta skeins
of floss that get used when I only need a tiny amount of a color and I'm not
matching anything. I also have several boxes of needlepoint wool which get
used very rarely now, but I can't bring myself to toss it yet. I don't
have very much Anchor because it's not available anywhere that I can shop.

Several pieces of fabric, all sizes, shapes and colors-ranging, from 14
count Aida to 36 count linen.

Scroll rods of which there are many because I inherited my mother's and my
aunts, are in a good sized plastic bag that originally held a comforter.
Hoops are in a box, except for a couple of the really big ones meant for
quilting that I acquired somewhere, at some time.

Magazines are all over the place, books are on a shelf and kits and charts
take up one whole shelf in my den. All the tchotchkes that are must haves
if you do needlework are on another shelf.

The ready to go kits and kitted up things are in the closet waiting to come
out of hiding and the started projects are in bags and boxes in the same
closet.

Oh, I forgot, there are couple of things in my sewing machine cabinet and
all the knitting supplies and books.

Where does that put me? It seems to me that I'm getting close to too
much--but what is too much?

Lucille

Old October 16th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 10/16/08 3:09 PM, in article ,
"Queencityxstitcher" wrote:

anne wrote:
[...]

Meant to hit your yard sale, but life was a bit nutty this weekend...

Cheryl

AD: Rate My Work Piwacket Beads 9 July 8th 05 05:43 PM
Rate My Work Piwacket Marketplace 0 July 6th 05 05:44 PM
Your turn to rate my beads :-) Cheryl Beads 38 June 14th 05 10:43 PM
S.E.X. at a bargain rate! Mystified One Quilting 14 December 17th 03 04:21 AM