silks

Old April 5th 04, 08:30 PM
BDS2pds

Default silks

Someone , I think it was Dianne?, mentioned that working with silks will
definitely get fuzzy. Now I am wondering because I have not had that problem
yet and wondering if which end of the strand you pull from might aid in keeping
the silk less fuzzy. Any comments from you experts? Does stranded silk get
processed only one way down the threadline like nap? Just wondering and hoping
to eliminate any future problems ....
Old April 5th 04, 10:02 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

There IS NO nap. huge grin It doesn't matter which end you use.
It's slightly fuzzy, just like cotton floss gets slightly fuzzy, because
it's not filament silk - it's "spun" silk. It gets less pristine as it
goes in/out . . . whether that' satin stitch or cross stitch. Just like
cotton does. But the sheen comes back with washing and/or steaming.

You can use shorter lengths to lesson the problem and keep its "fresh
from the skein" look. I've used all kinds of silk. It's just the
nature of spun silk, just like cotton spun thread.

When I said "fuzzy", I didn't mean like a cotton ball. :-)

Dianne

Old April 5th 04, 10:10 PM
BDS2pds

Well then I was afraid of more in my mind then. I am using very short pieces
and maybe that is why . Also threading it with a Clover and that really saves
on the silk. Glad to hear no worries coming,.
Old April 5th 04, 10:37 PM
Dr. Brat

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
There IS NO nap. huge grin It doesn't matter which end you use. It's
slightly fuzzy, just like cotton floss gets slightly fuzzy, because it's
not filament silk - it's "spun" silk. It gets less pristine as it goes
in/out . . . whether that' satin stitch or cross stitch. Just like
cotton does. But the sheen comes back with washing and/or steaming.

Now I'm confused. I thought Barbara was working with Eterna Silks which
claim to be filament silks. Did I miss something here?

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old April 6th 04, 12:14 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Well, ya got me. Glad you caught that. I just reread the original
question. The term used was "stranded silk". There really isn't such a
thing in this context. Stranded silk is like stranded cotton - comes
bundled. It's "spun silk" or "filament silk". The word stranded is
sometimes used to describe spun silk. That's why I answered the way I
did, assuming she was using spun silk.

Filament silk won't get fuzzy like cotton thread, but it can get
"stringy" if you don't handle it well. What I mean by that: You can
break the fibers if your hands are rough. So, use a laying tool (which
can be a chenille or tapestry needle).

You might be able to learn to handle it without a laying tool - but I
found it "confounding" if I didn't.

Still: there is no nap. Think about it: comes off the cacoon, goes on
the machine, made into spools, then made into hanks, then made into
skeins . . . . By the time it's done, nobody knows which end is up. And
you absolutely can't tell by "fluffing" it out or "blooming" it.
Besides which: Doug Kreinik says "no".

Dianne

Old April 6th 04, 09:52 AM
BDS2pds

By the way I am finding this soooo easy to work with. Eterna is no different
to work with than dmc if anyone out there wants to try it. I anticipated much
more grief on the long stitches. I am glad I did not try this with my AVS. I
am doing a large area and it would take forever. At least with the AVS I have
owned in the past. I wondered and wondered what to use and now satisfied with
this choice. It has been a dream to work with.

VC Silks on Ebay Marketplace 0 February 5th 05 02:08 AM
silks BDS2pds Needlework 7 April 4th 04 12:19 PM
Waiting for Silks! Suzanne Needlework 2 March 17th 04 11:15 AM
Chinese Embroidery Book & Silks lula Needlework 5 March 10th 04 09:09 AM
silks BDS2pds Needlework 35 February 24th 04 12:56 AM