On topic - favourite psalm

Old January 27th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Default On topic - favourite psalm

Trish Brown wrote:
Had another idea. If you're into the classics, you could take a passage
from a Mass or other devotional piece and use that. For example, 'And he
shall feed his flock like a shepherd' from Handel's 'Messiah'.

Or, you could take one of the prayers from the service, say, the Creed
or the Gloria.

One of my favourites is (yeah, OK, it's a Catholic one, but the
sentiments are universal)* the Magnificat:

My soul magnifies the Lord,
And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
For He has regarded the low estate of His handmaiden,
Behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
For He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His name.
And His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm:
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
And exalted those of low degree.
He has filled the hungry with good things;
And the rich He has sent empty away.
He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy;
As He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to His posterity forever.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen

* Geez, I think I did a pun. Go me!

You did indeed. Thanks, Trish

The Messiah gives lots of ideas.

MargW
Old January 27th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Trish Brown" wrote
(snip)
One of my favourites is (yeah, OK, it's a Catholic one, but the sentiments
are universal)* the Magnificat:

It is not exclusively Catholic--some of the rest of us get to sing it too.
It is found in the Book of Common Prayer and the Alternative Services Book
of the Anglican Church of Canada, and probably in their equivalents in other
countries, and was sung at Christmas at the Lutheran church I have been
attending, so is probably in their Worship Book somewhere too.

Dawne

Old January 27th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Trish Brown" wrote
(snip)
One of my favourites is (yeah, OK, it's a Catholic one, but the sentiments
are universal)* the Magnificat:

It is not exclusively Catholic--some of the rest of us get to sing it too.
It is found in the Book of Common Prayer and the Alternative Services Book
of the Anglican Church of Canada, and probably in their equivalents in other
countries, and was sung at Christmas at the Lutheran church I have been
attending, so is probably in their Worship Book somewhere too.

Dawne

Oh good! Sometimes the 'Mary' ones don't always circulate, y'know? ;-D

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old January 27th 09, 11:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/26/09 5:30 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

On Jan 26, 9:33*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 1/26/09 9:12 AM, in article
,

" wrote:
On Jan 25, 9:17*pm, "lucille" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 25, 8:25 pm, (F.James Cripwell)
wrote:

MargW ) writes:
I've been thinking of doing a piece for church and for our Minister. I
could do the 23rd psalm, but would like to do something different,
especially since I am going to try designing it myself.

It has to be one of the shorter psalms since I don't want it to be too
enormous. I love Psalm 121 (I will life up mine eyes unto the
hills),Psalm 100 (Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands) or
Psalm 134 which would be appropriate for a sanctuary.

Of course, if I really wanted to keep it short I can do Psalm 117 (all
two verses of it)

Alternately, I could do just a few verses from one of the longer psalms.

I also love Isaiah 40, and could do the last verse, "They that wait upon
the Lord shall renew their strength"

Any thoughts about what you'd do? Also which is your favourite
translation? King James is sonorous, but I think I might use the
Revised Standard Version with its slightly more modern language. I
think the New Jerusalem Bible is a little too modern for what I want to
do.

I'm thinking a nice cream linen with Gentle Arts sampler threads, and
the verse placed somewhat irregularly in the space surrounded by various
biblical motifs used in the crest of the United Church of Canada (the
burning bush, the dove descending, alpha and omega etc.)
http://www.united-church.ca/history/crest

MargW

(Tongue in cheek). How about some of the lines from the Song of Solomon.
Jim.

You'll be shocked to know that I was going to suggest some verses only
to realize that they were from the Song of Solomon and not Psalms.
*grin*

Elizabeth

Why shocked?? * Those are possibly the only ones a lot of people know.

Shocked because my mind went where his went.

I'd expect more people to know the 23rd Psalm than the Song of Songs.

Elizabeth

No - not really. I think there are more beautiful lines are in S Of S then
the Psalms. Besides, don't a lot of people read it because it has a
"reputation" and therefore would recognize it?

Eh, most people I know don't know the Bible because they read it, but
rather because it's read to them. That would point towards their
knowing the Psalms better than the S of S, but who knows.

I was raised with "yea, tho' I walk in the valley of the shadow of
death/I shall fear no evil/for I am the meanest s.o.b in the valley."

Elizabeth

I don't know - all us (in Youth Bible Study) got Bibles around age 11 and
one kid - one of a brother/sister pair, told us that "my older brother says
Song of Solomon" is "dirty" " and we all ran off the read it.

I freely admit, I didn't get it...

Cheryl

Old January 27th 09, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka

Trish Brown wrote:
Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Trish Brown" wrote
(snip)
One of my favourites is (yeah, OK, it's a Catholic one, but the
sentiments are universal)* the Magnificat:

It is not exclusively Catholic--some of the rest of us get to sing it
too. It is found in the Book of Common Prayer and the Alternative
Services Book of the Anglican Church of Canada, and probably in their
equivalents in other countries, and was sung at Christmas at the
Lutheran church I have been attending, so is probably in their Worship
Book somewhere too.

Oh good! Sometimes the 'Mary' ones don't always circulate, y'know? ;-D

Yeah, but it seems like a lot of Protestants have
become a tiny bit less suspicious of all things Mary, and in
the case of the Magnificat it's straight out of the Bible,
so it seems to get a bit more leeway ;-) It tends to be
relegated to the time around Christmas, though.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Block of the Month - Psalm Sampler KI Graham Quilting 0 July 16th 05 03:21 AM
Favourite LaceWeight? Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 4 July 5th 05 09:36 PM
Psalm block posted for May KI Graham Quilting 0 May 16th 05 04:25 PM
Your Favourite Quilt Flossy Quilting 10 April 11th 04 09:09 AM
What is your favourite UFO...and why isn't it finished??? georg Quilting 30 August 10th 03 06:45 AM