aprons

Old January 27th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Default aprons

Susan Hartman wrote:
Joan E. wrote:
On Jan 27, 1:24 pm, Karen C in California wrote:

I'm with you. I like baking, but when I want to make strudel, I just
march over to the frozen section and purchase a pack of phyllo dough.

Made my first batch of baklava in *years* for Christmas.
YYYUUUUMMMM!!!!!!

Joan

I make baklava once or twice a year. Since DS is vegan, there are
limited selections of my dessert/birthday menu, and I make baklava with
maple syrup in place of the honey. Ah...as you said....YYYUUUMMMMM!

(my recipe calls for veg oil and not butter)

sue

For a challenging alternative try Carling Peas...
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old January 28th 09, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/28/09 7:02 AM, "Tia Mary" wrote:

wrote:
Actually, Bohunk originally referred to immigrants from Hungary and
Czechoslovakia rather than South Slavs, but has since taken on broader
application. Any definition I could find listed it as a pejorative.

Elizabeth

As I said in my first post, in the past, it is considered an insult
when used by someone who is either A.) *not* of the same ethnic
background or B) not married to someone of the same ethnic background.
It's used so routinely by the long time residents up in northern MN that
it's not offensive anymore.
DH always says :If you've seen one southern European, you've seen
them all!" which I think he picked up from some comic. I think it was
Steve Martin because I remember him using the term in one of his acts.
CiaoMeow ^;;^

The only place I ever heard this comment, prior to your posting (and IIRC
once before explaining it) was in the movie "16 Candles" when they are
talking about the parents going to dinner with the future in-laws of the
older sister - and one of the grandparents asks the question "what type of
Bohunk is he?"

Around here, the big slur - so to speak - my Eastern European & Russian
grandparents, and dad would refer to Litvaks - which I understood to be not
an insult - just a reference to people (Jews) from the area of Lithuania.
DH, whose family is Lithuanian, said it's an insult But, in having the who
eats what in what order dietary custom "wars" in my household, the different
regions were referred to in slang as the elders would discuss things. Not
just for those from Lithuania, but from Galicia, different Russian areas,
etc. Anyhow - I just personally stay away from it - unless to tease DH. Of
course, we don't go into the 1 side of his family which is clearly
anti-semitic. I think it was an issue in their house - his DM had a jewish
girl roommate when in Nursing school, and they stayed friends. His folks
didn't marry until late for their generation (I think they were in their
late 20s, early 30s - given his mom was 40 when he was born).

Ah, well.

Ellice

Old January 28th 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 27, 4:11*pm, Susan Hartman wrote:
I make baklava with maple syrup in place of the honey.

Interesting! I found a different syrup recipe this year that called
for orange and lemon juice in it. I really liked that combination!

Joan
Old January 28th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/27/09 3:20 PM, "lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:46:14 GMT, ellice opined:

Hey, that's how we learned in Home Ec! DH doesn't argue. Will say, that
growing up, we all had coverlets or duvets, DM didn't use top sheets, we
just washed the covers.

Ellice

I'm not sure where the idea of using more than the bottom sheet with
duvets came from. It should be duvet with cover, and fitted bottom
sheet. I wash the cover, the fitted sheet and pillowcases. No more
work than two sheets.

Same as we did. But, in FL, we aften had very light weight cotton quilts or
coverlets - which my mom just washed instead of using top sheets. It was I
guess too warm. We always had central air, but I know we didn't use it
until it really was hot.

Ellice

Old January 28th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/27/09 3:43 PM, "Joan E." wrote:

On Jan 27, 12:37*pm, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)"

Printed sheets on your bed? I suppose it gives you something to read if
you can't sleep.

So you use, what? for your bedding, Bruce? Canvas? Ticking? Velvet?
Satin???

Joan

Yeah - anyone from a place where they get bedsheets and covers to match the
wallpaper has no room to slur others' bed linen preferences. I remember
the first time I saw that - my colleague had me pick up some bed linens when
I was in London - to bring back to SouthEnd - as the local shop didn't have
them - and the pattern was specific matching the wallpaper and curtains in
their bedroom. Very novel to me. (IIRC they just wanted a spare set). Very
Hyacinth.

Ellice

Old January 28th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 27, 5:50*pm, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)"

For a challenging alternative try Carling Peas...

Peas??? In baklava????? And what *are* they? I googled them and it
came up as Carlin (no g) on one of the sites. Hm. Now which is
correct? Both, it seems, according to this article ( http://tinyurl.com/cmvkc3
), which gave me more info on peas than I probably wanted to know! LOL

Dried pea baklava? I think not.

Joan
Old January 28th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Joan E." wrote in message
On Jan 27, 5:50 pm, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)"

For a challenging alternative try Carling Peas...

Peas??? In baklava????? And what *are* they? I googled them and it
came up as Carlin (no g) on one of the sites. Hm. Now which is
correct? Both, it seems, according to this article (
http://tinyurl.com/cmvkc3
), which gave me more info on peas than I probably wanted to know! LOL

Dried pea baklava? I think not.

Joan

I don't like honey so I don't much like baklava, but I will taste a bite of
it so as not to insult my hostess who worked so hard on making it.

If I found out it was made with Carlin peas, I say to hell with the hostess
and I doubt I would even taste it.

Old January 28th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 28, 6:02*am, Tia Mary wrote:
wrote:
Actually, Bohunk originally referred to immigrants from Hungary and
Czechoslovakia

It's used so routinely by the long time residents up in northern MN that
it's not offensive anymore.

We've used the term Bohunk for *years* around here (in eastern ND) and
no one thinks anything of it. TM's right...it's not considered
offensive around here, it has more of a friendly/teasing sort of
connotation. We're pretty laid back and more accepting of lots of
things. Most people around here are from the Slavic nations, Germany,
Poland and Scandinavia. And Iceland.

I had thought it was a slang form of Bohemian so I looked it up.
According to merriam-webster.com: "Etymology: "Bo"hemian + "Hunk"
person of central European descent, by shortening & alteration from
Hungarian" I guess I was partly right.

Joan
Old January 29th 09, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/28/09 9:57 AM, "Joan E." wrote:

On Jan 27, 4:11*pm, Susan Hartman wrote:
I make baklava with maple syrup in place of the honey.

Interesting! I found a different syrup recipe this year that called
for orange and lemon juice in it. I really liked that combination!

Joan

I do a syrup like that, have for years. Used when I make Indian sweets,
particularly Jalabee, which usually look like orange spirals, soaked in
syrup.
http://tinyurl.com/ctnhzy

Not recommending this recipe - just the info. I learned to make them from
the woman that catered my Indian wedding, she made fantaastic sweets, and
taught me a few kinds. These can be really too sweet, and part of the
secret is to include some citrus in the simple syrup. The other part is
that these must be the right consistency, fry pretty quickly, and go right
into the syrup from the frying. Doesn't take much citrus juice, but kind of
lends a light, clean touch to the syrup. Also, I use a different flour
mixture, which includes Besan, aka chick pea flour.

FWIW, exDH loved when we'd go to his alumni functions, for the surprise
factor. He went to a sort of MIT/Cal Tech/CMU version in India (private Uni)
and there is a pretty good sized alumni group here in DC. The women, always
so amazingly rude to me. The guys, hit or miss - being another dorky
engineer helped. Anyhow, at the big picnic - pot luck - he signed us up to
bring a sweet (desert). So, I brought 2 large foil steam pans of Jaleebi.
It was a riot to watch the reactions of people when they found out the pale,
red-head had made them. It's pretty rare for people to make their own
sweets - not like we may just bake cookies or do a cake. Takes a lot of
work, and so most people buy them at their local little Indian shop. There
is always some local that makes them and so the "home made" trays are in the
shop.

Ellice

FA: Lots of Crafters Items, Aprons, Decoupage Supplies [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 31st 05 04:21 PM
FA: Lots of Crafters Items, Aprons, Decoupage Supplies [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 31st 05 04:20 PM
Aprons ?? ausetkmt Needlework 1 May 15th 05 04:13 AM
Really Fantastic Collection of Vintage 50s/60s Cocktail & Kitchen Aprons MINT for Sale Pamela Marketplace 0 March 14th 04 02:31 PM