For sampler enthusiasts

Old January 6th 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

Default For sampler enthusiasts

For those of you who love everything sampler, our library just got a
book in, "A Maryland sampler, girlhood embroidery 1738-1860", by
Gloria Seaman Allen. It was published in 2007 by the Maryland
Historical Society, ISBN 9780938420989. List price is $75 and it's
384 p.

From the preface, "My objectives ... were threefold... to present as
much information as possible about each embroiderer and her
family, ... place the embroiderer in geographical and historical
context ... address the perceived dominance of Baltimore in the
material culture of Maryland..."

There are some amazing samplers pictured in this book as well as lots
of history and quite extensive indexes!

Joan
Old January 6th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/6/09 10:29 AM, "Joan E." wrote:

For those of you who love everything sampler, our library just got a
book in, "A Maryland sampler, girlhood embroidery 1738-1860", by
Gloria Seaman Allen. It was published in 2007 by the Maryland
Historical Society, ISBN 9780938420989. List price is $75 and it's
384 p.

From the preface, "My objectives ... were threefold... to present as
much information as possible about each embroiderer and her
family, ... place the embroiderer in geographical and historical
context ... address the perceived dominance of Baltimore in the
material culture of Maryland..."

There are some amazing samplers pictured in this book as well as lots
of history and quite extensive indexes!

Joan

Here is a link which lets you see some pictures, and more info than Amazon
would.
http://tinyurl.com/a3hz7p

This book documents the exhibit that was at the Maryland Historical Society
in Baltimore, and which Sue H, Donna, Ericka & I visited - over a year ago
on an outing. We were enthralled and spent tons of time there! Some of the
samplers are amazizng, and overall it's really interesting.

I've been considering the book for quite a while. Definitely worthwhile for
any sampler/history enthusiast. Plus, we learned quite abit about the
communities of the 18th/19th century - interesting in that the places which
were vital, and had some fine schools are now little, unknown, rural kind of
towns. Except of course for Baltimore.

Ellice

For QI enthusiasts everywhere! Kate Dicey Quilting 7 June 11th 06 05:05 PM
Blackwork enthusiasts Pat P Needlework 3 November 12th 05 10:06 AM
for glass art enthusiasts [email protected] Beads 0 October 23rd 05 08:35 PM
Trade? Baby Sampler from Victoria Sampler Dannielle Needlework 1 June 4th 04 01:58 AM
Ohio Pottery Enthusiasts scotttm Pottery 0 March 12th 04 10:32 PM