new-to-me designer

Old January 4th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Default Knots, was new-to-me designer: attn. anne and cheryl

anne wrote:
says...
Do French knots and colonial knots look very different (to the eye, not to
the magnifying glass) in a finished piece. I just do French knots, not too
badly, but recently read a description of a piece where using both kinds of
knots was one of the features discussed, and it occured to me that wouldn't
matter unless the knots were visibly distinguisable. Would there be another
reason??

To me, the visible differences depend on the threads used to make the knot. If
the thread is thick (6 strands, #5 perle cotton, candlewicking), I can see the
difference. With thinner threads, french knots look a little flatter. I hope
someone with a more discerning eye will jump in.

It can make a difference depending upon using the correct method for
making a Fr. knot. If completed as shown in my video, they will be
rounded even with one strand of floss. Not to do this will make a flat
knot no matter the type of thread used. It is the extra half twist that
makes a Fr. knot a . . . well . . . Fr. knot.
http://heritageshoppe.com/heritage/s...renchknot.html

Dianne

--
Affordable & Creative Website Design - including Flash and more.
No Templates. Designed Just For You! http://Kanen5Designs.com
Old January 4th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default new-to-me designer: attn. anne and cheryl

On 1/2/09 11:39 AM, "Susan Hartman" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 1/1/09 8:38 PM, in article
, "Susan Hartman"
wrote:

Donna's Ink Circle link led me to this discovery:
http://aaneedleworks.altervista.org/shopindex.htm

...and I feel my resolve weakening....must....complete.....UFOs.....

Sue

Doesn't she have lovely stuff. Should I forward you her yahoo group info?

Cheryl

I feel like Superman next to a bar of Kryptonite, and then you and Ann
jump in like the Lex Luther twins to enable MORE stitching tangents!
What's a person to do??

Can you kind ladies find me the link that magically adds an hour to each
day? (Better make that 2 hours, so I can find time to exercise, too!) VBG

I was a good girl last night...pulled out a WIP/almost-UFO and worked on
this:

http://www.drawnthread.com/Generosity.html

It was a very chilly night, and this seemed appropriate!

sue

Nice Sue. You're making me think of my sad and lonely Drawn Thread piece
sitting in the WIP but not touched lately piece. I worked more on Baroque -
it's comeing together nicely - but taking way longer than I'd like laying in
all these long stitches with weird threads. I'll post pix later.

Let me know when you find that link for hours in the day.

Ellice

Old January 4th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MelissaD

anne wrote:
says...
Do French knots and colonial knots look very different (to the eye, not to
the magnifying glass) in a finished piece. I just do French knots, not too
badly, but recently read a description of a piece where using both kinds of
knots was one of the features discussed, and it occured to me that wouldn't
matter unless the knots were visibly distinguisable. Would there be another
reason??

To me, the visible differences depend on the threads used to make the knot. If
the thread is thick (6 strands, #5 perle cotton, candlewicking), I can see the
difference. With thinner threads, french knots look a little flatter. I hope
someone with a more discerning eye will jump in.

I'm working on a T. Layman design - the circular rabbit in the garden
piece. It is all French or colonial knots. Not very difficult really
as there is no counting!
I used to dislike French knots and started substituting colonial knots
in other pieces because I found the "figure 8" wrapping around the
needle seemed to help keep the knot from pulling through. The colonial
knots also seem a little bit larger to me.
Either way - the T. Layman pieces are amazing when done - like miniature
impressionist paintings - and after the first 100 or so knots, you
just whip along

MelissaD
Old January 4th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

anne wrote:
I knew an expert or two would chime in. Thanks Erika and Dianne.

I have more fun doing colonial knots than frech knots. Are there times when a
french knot must be used?

I don't know about "must" but I think a french knot would be better
when adding that little touch of white to an eye as a light reflection.
The colonial is just that teensy bit bigger that it might look too big/
I am *still* working on that cute little autumn kitty pin all done
in french & colonial knots. I'm more comfortable working french knots
because I learned them a bazillion years before I did the colonial. So
the background that is supposed to be all colonial knots is mostly
french knots with small areas of colonial thrown in for a bit added
texture. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old January 4th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 1/2/09 8:13 PM, in article
, "anne"
wrote:

says...
Gentle Arts Sampler Threads - they are wonderful.

Ah, I wasn't familiar with the abbreviation. I got a few skeins when a local
shop owner tried to convince me to do XS.

Oh, Oh - I didn't know they also now had wools! As well as all the
regular and Shaker colours, I have a number of the Limited Edition
colours. I'm a completeist, can't you tell?

hehehe

And here are the miniature rugs on Teresa Layman's website:

http://www.teresalayman.com/designs_miniature-rugs.htm
ooooooooh ... another case of enabling!!

I want the Tumbling Blocks!

They really are fun to do - just french and colonial knots. They take a
while since it can take 3-6 hours to do a square inch, but they are very
relaxing. Once you start it's just like paint-by-numbers. Since they
are so small, they make wonderful travelling projects. I was working on
'Kitty Corners' in the car today as we came back from Toronto.

The instructions are also well written. I did the English Cottage last
year, and it turned out wonderfully. If you are into miniatures, they
make wonderful doll-house rugs.

MargW
Old January 4th 09, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

Default new-to-me designer

Yikes! The credit card is still in melt status! I cannot, I repeat I
cannot, buy anything more!

Old January 5th 09, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MargW

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"anne" wrote
IMNSHO (translation: in my not so humble opinion), many stitchers dislike
knots
for no good reason. It's never bothered me if my dimples aren't perfect or
if a
knot has a little loop. Those 'flaws' just add another dimension
(literally) to
a piece. Matter of fact, I liked a piece I saw that had many loopy knots
and
couldn't consistently duplicate that phenomenon.

FWIW (for what it's worth), I've taught a few knot-phobic people to do
colonial
knots in which the thread goes over, under, around, and through. I'm happy
say that some of their dislike/phobia disappeared.
--

Do French knots and colonial knots look very different (to the eye, not to
the magnifying glass) in a finished piece. I just do French knots, not too
badly, but recently read a description of a piece where using both kinds of
knots was one of the features discussed, and it occured to me that wouldn't
matter unless the knots were visibly distinguisable. Would there be another
reason??

Dawne

On the Teresa Layman pieces, she uses both single wrap French knots
which produce a smaller knot and the colonial knots for slightly larger
knots. In some details she will call for colonial knots, but says you
can do the whole thing in either knot style. I like the French knots,
but when I want a slightly larger knot (for instance where it only calls
for a single knot in a single colour)I will double or triple wrap the
thread to emphasize that stitch.

MargW
Old January 5th 09, 05:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 1/4/09 8:20 PM, "MargW" wrote:

Dawne Peterson wrote:
[...]

Good explanations from everyone about the knots. I think also that the
Colonial knots can look a little more like a tuffet. I do either, depending
on the look, thread, etc. I do have fun teaching them - often as a sort of
break in a class that's been stitching for a while. It's amazing how many
people just have trouble remembering how to do a French knot, or have seen a
Colonial. I think that when we do them together - they watch, and then have
to practice doing several - helps them to finally remember how to do them.
Seems to me knots are definitely one of those muscle memory things, and we
rarely take the time to just "practice" until getting them down.

Good question, Dawne.

Ellice

designer mebbing Needlework 0 December 27th 07 06:12 PM
I'm a Designer! :) Karen C - California Needlework 13 July 6th 05 05:00 PM
I'm a Designer! Karen C - California Needlework 1 July 5th 05 12:18 AM
Designer needs help! Jordan Needle Arts Needlework 24 April 4th 04 08:25 PM
Designer Fan Clubs Brenda Lewis Needlework 10 July 24th 03 06:28 PM