new-to-me designer

Old January 3rd 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default new-to-me designer: attn. anne and cheryl

On 1/2/09 8:13 PM, in article
, "anne"
wrote:

says...

Gentle Arts Sampler Threads - they are wonderful.

Ah, I wasn't familiar with the abbreviation. I got a few skeins when a local
shop owner tried to convince me to do XS.

Oh, Oh - I didn't know they also now had wools! As well as all the
regular and Shaker colours, I have a number of the Limited Edition
colours. I'm a completeist, can't you tell?

hehehe

And here are the miniature rugs on Teresa Layman's website:

http://www.teresalayman.com/designs_miniature-rugs.htm

ooooooooh ... another case of enabling!!

I want the Tumbling Blocks!

Old January 3rd 09, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

says...
How are those rugs stitched?

I'm not Marg, but from reading the web site, it looks like they're covered in
french or colonial knots.

A free style and free project that I've done with scraps:
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/sti.../knotalot.html

The same technique makes interesting heart ornaments or pin cushions.
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old January 3rd 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/3/09 7:43 AM, in article
, "anne"
wrote:

says...
How are those rugs stitched?

I'm not Marg, but from reading the web site, it looks like they're covered in
french or colonial knots.

A free style and free project that I've done with scraps:
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/sti.../knotalot.html

The same technique makes interesting heart ornaments or pin cushions.

I've been tempted by that a few times.

Cheryl

Old January 3rd 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
pecan[_3_]

anne wrote:
says...
How are those rugs stitched?

I'm not Marg, but from reading the web site, it looks like they're covered in
french or colonial knots.

A free style and free project that I've done with scraps:
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/sti.../knotalot.html

The same technique makes interesting heart ornaments or pin cushions.

They look really nice. I'm almost tempted to go beyond cross stitch.

Catherine
Old January 3rd 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/3/09 10:35 AM, in article , "pecan"
wrote:

anne wrote:
says...
How are those rugs stitched?

I'm not Marg, but from reading the web site, it looks like they're covered in
french or colonial knots.

A free style and free project that I've done with scraps:
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/sti.../knotalot.html

The same technique makes interesting heart ornaments or pin cushions.

They look really nice. I'm almost tempted to go beyond cross stitch.

Catherine

It appears to be so simple, I'm thinking of trying it....

Old January 3rd 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

Default Knots, was new-to-me designer: attn. anne and cheryl

"anne" wrote
IMNSHO (translation: in my not so humble opinion), many stitchers dislike
knots
for no good reason. It's never bothered me if my dimples aren't perfect or
if a
knot has a little loop. Those 'flaws' just add another dimension
(literally) to
a piece. Matter of fact, I liked a piece I saw that had many loopy knots
and
couldn't consistently duplicate that phenomenon.

FWIW (for what it's worth), I've taught a few knot-phobic people to do
colonial
knots in which the thread goes over, under, around, and through. I'm happy
say that some of their dislike/phobia disappeared.
--

Do French knots and colonial knots look very different (to the eye, not to
the magnifying glass) in a finished piece. I just do French knots, not too

Dawne

Old January 4th 09, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka

Dawne Peterson wrote:

Do French knots and colonial knots look very different (to the eye, not to
the magnifying glass) in a finished piece. I just do French knots, not too
badly, but recently read a description of a piece where using both kinds of
knots was one of the features discussed, and it occured to me that wouldn't
matter unless the knots were visibly distinguisable. Would there be another
reason??

They are actually a bit different. The French knots
are a bit more petite than the colonial knots. The miniature
rugs use French knots for the more detailed parts and colonial
knots for the less detailed areas. Or maybe it's the other
way around, but I think I've got it right.

Best wishes,
Ericka

designer mebbing Needlework 0 December 27th 07 06:12 PM
I'm a Designer! :) Karen C - California Needlework 13 July 6th 05 05:00 PM
I'm a Designer! Karen C - California Needlework 1 July 5th 05 12:18 AM
Designer needs help! Jordan Needle Arts Needlework 24 April 4th 04 08:25 PM
Designer Fan Clubs Brenda Lewis Needlework 10 July 24th 03 06:28 PM