new-to-me designer

Old January 5th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default Knots, was new-to-me designer: attn. anne and cheryl

says...
On the Teresa Layman pieces, she uses both single wrap French knots
which produce a smaller knot and the colonial knots for slightly larger
knots.

I'm sorely tempted to get one of her pieces. They're quite small; is the design
stamped on fabric? If so, how difficult is it to see the design?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old January 5th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default new-to-me designer: attn. anne and cheryl

On 1/2/09 6:40 PM, "MargW" wrote:

anne wrote:
says...
I love that one. I did it for a friend who spins and weaves. She has
woven me a scarf and a shawl in exchange for cross stitch. I used GAS
threads and Whisper for the sheep.

What're GAS threads?

Gentle Arts Sampler Threads - they are wonderful.

I use them for lots of samplers since they have a muted effect. You'll
often find a designer will use a mixture of GAS and DMC. In fact, the
miniature rug Teresa Layman piece I'm doing right (Kitty Corners) now
calls for four shades of the GAS threads. It's my understanding (and I
may be wrong) that Gentle Arts uses Anchor as their base floss to dye on.

I believe that GA uses DMC for her base, though she may have switched.
She's really nice - I got a lovely bag from her at the trade show last June.
Weeks & Crescent use Anchor, and I believe that Threadworx does as well, for
their base. Carries Creations uses DMC.

Here's the website;

http://www.thegentleart.com/ga/home.asp

Oh, Oh - I didn't know they also now had wools! As well as all the
regular and Shaker colours, I have a number of the Limited Edition
colours. I'm a completeist, can't you tell?

The wools are very nice, and soft. IIRC she came out with them for people
to use in replicating history, when stitching was also done with fine wool.
I've seen some folks use it with primitive type samplers - along the lines
of a La-D-Da or Carriage House piece. It's okay on 28 ct, but not on
anything finer.

I like the look of GA, but not always the feel. But, those wools are
lovely.

Ellice

Old January 7th 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default e: new-to-me designer: attn. anne and cheryl

says...

And here are the miniature rugs on Teresa Layman's website:

http://www.teresalayman.com/designs_miniature-rugs.htm

You've talked me into trying one of her designs. Can you recommend a place in
the US where they can be bought?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old January 7th 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"anne" wrote in message
g...
says...

And here are the miniature rugs on Teresa Layman's website:

http://www.teresalayman.com/designs_miniature-rugs.htm

You've talked me into trying one of her designs. Can you recommend a place
in
the US where they can be bought?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

I've seen them from several places, the names of which escape me at the
moment. Just put Teresa Layman designs into google and see what comes up.
I'm sure you'll find them somewhere local.

designer mebbing Needlework 0 December 27th 07 06:12 PM
I'm a Designer! :) Karen C - California Needlework 13 July 6th 05 05:00 PM
I'm a Designer! Karen C - California Needlework 1 July 5th 05 12:18 AM
Designer needs help! Jordan Needle Arts Needlework 24 April 4th 04 08:25 PM
Designer Fan Clubs Brenda Lewis Needlework 10 July 24th 03 06:28 PM