My Iron-Almost on Topic

Old January 5th 09, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default My Iron-Almost on Topic

On 1/4/09 1:36 PM, "Susan Hartman" wrote:

ellice wrote:
On 1/1/09 3:04 PM, "lucille" wrote:

Sorry but I'm not sure if the topic of an iron is on or off so I'll leave it
to others to decide.

I just finished my ironing, except for the finished Oriental Fan because my
iron doesn't seem happy. It kept going off and cooling down and needed to
be unplugged and plugged back in to warm up or alternatively it got so hot
that it started spitting at my clothes. Maybe I'll iron the piece a little
later but if I decide to do so I'm going to have to be very careful not to
let it spit and maybe get some dirty water on it.

If as I suspect it's on it's last legs I would like some recommendation.
This is a Rowenta with steam and surge and it worked nicely for the past
several years, but if it does drop dead soon I would love to get some
educated opinions on brand.

Lucille

Right now, I have 2 irons, a Phillips & a Sunbeam. The Sunbeam - similar to
the more expensive Rowenta, but not quite as heavy as the pro model - with
the steam, surge, and spritzer. I use all of these features - as I'm one of
those people that irons for clothes and sewing. I bought it at Costco, and
it was about $40 less than the professional Rowenta they had, so I thought
what the heck - IIRC about $35-$40 versus $75-$80 It's been great, heats
pretty quickly, and I like the weight - it's got enough heft, but isn't
awkward and is my workhorse. Sunbeam is:
Sunbeam Professional 4243
Has a vertical steam capability, no dripping from the sole plate, and it
has an auto shut off if it's on its side, or horizontal for 30 secs, or
standing for more than 15 min.

ellice

I misstated the other day that mine was a B&D - then I went to actually
iron something, and realized it's a Sunbeam! Sounds like the same model
as Ellice's.

Well, we do have some similar tastes!

For me, the important factor was the auto-shutoff. NOW I remember that I
looked carefully at that in all the guides, and the B&D one was way too
short....the Sunbeam had the longest time before the auto-shutoff went
into effect. When I'm sewing, having something that shuts itself off
after just a couple of minutes really isn't helpful!

Sue

Agree completely about the shut-off time. I'm good with the 30 second timer
- and the 15 min shut-off. When I'm sewing, once the ironing has started
I'm usually up and down with another piece before it shuts off. And it's
pretty quick to reheat.

Ellice