Copyright Question

Old January 3rd 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Twinsmom

Default Copyright Question

On Jan 2, 4:01*pm, lucretia borgia wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:52:40 -0800 (PST), Twinsmom
opined:

On Jan 2, 1:55*pm, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:
The thing to remember about copyright is that you may not increase the
number of instances of the work in existence without payment to the author.

Libraries buy books, and pay levies that recognize in some way that book
swill circulate among their patrons. *So, you borrow a library book, read
it, use the instructions or whatever, then return it. *There has been no
change in the number of copies of the book in existence. *That is what
libraries are about, and no wrong has been committed. *Borrowing is a good
way to audition books, like finding out if a cookbook has enough recipes you
would use to make it worth purchasing.

If you photocopy or scan patterns, recipes etc from borrowed books, you are
bringing more copies of someone's work into being, without that person being
compensated. *Some people would see a difference between copying one recipe
from a book of hundred and scanning one designer's only chart in a magazine,
but I don't want to get into "fair use" or whatever. (IMHO, fair use tends
to be meaningful in academia or reviewing, and an excuse too many other
places.)

If you want a pile of recipes from one book, best to buy the book. *I have
found that most recipes from magazines get republished on their websites,
and they make it very convenient for you to get them there.

Once you have bought a chart, book or whatever, you can use it as often as
you want, and pass along a book or chart if you want--you are not making
more copies of the book, and the author has been compensated for the one you
bought. *However, if you are in commercial production, making multiple
instances from a pattern or design by someone else, you should be seeking
licenseing permission, and paying for it. *If you like a pattern, you can
stitch it as often as you want.

It is not the number of stitched objects (or pans of brownies) in being that
violates copyright, it is the number of instances of the book, pattern etc.
If you remember this, you will likely be okay.

And Jim, I am sure, is joking, because morality, surely, is what you do when
no one is looking.

Dawne

Thank you Dawne. *That is much clearer than what I could find
concerning stitching, at least. *With the cooking and recipes I think
it becomes a little murkier, especially if you have a recipe you use
out of a book or magazine and someone else says, "oh, I love this
recipe...." Kinda hard to say no, that would be violating copyright!
Although I didn't think to look on the magazine websites. *I will do
that this weekend. *It's been an interesting conversation with DD,
especially now that she is into MP3's and downloading music. *She
wanted to know why it was okay to keep a recipe/make a working copy of
a chart from a book from the library but not okay to download a song
off a library CD.

Jim's comment made me smile, but unfortunately I think it's the "not
get found out" bit that has gotten us into trouble because invariably,
we do get found out! *(see DD comment above :-) ) *I remember someone
saying character is who you are and what you do when no one else is
around to watch. *I've always tried to remember that.

Carolyn

And certainly it is good to lead by example where your daughter is
concerned.- Hide quoted text -

Exactly. I think they watch closer than ever during the teen years
and certainly are quick to point out the inconsistencies in adults
behavior! Sure keeps a mother on her toes.