This is a first

Old August 5th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Default This is a first

I somehow managed to break a bamboo needle. Not a little 2-mm sock
needle, of which I've broken many in bamboo and wood (I keep extra sets
to replace the broken ones as I go along), but a 3.75-mm. I was making
a dishcloth when I felt it give way about 2" from the tip. Guess I
don't know my own strength g

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old August 5th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

The Other Kim wrote:
I somehow managed to break a bamboo needle. Not a little 2-mm sock
needle, of which I've broken many in bamboo and wood (I keep extra sets
to replace the broken ones as I go along), but a 3.75-mm. I was making
a dishcloth when I felt it give way about 2" from the tip. Guess I
don't know my own strength g

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

That was my worry when I had to buy some bamboo needles size 5 in a
hurry, and couldn't wait until I could get some nice, strong aluminum ones.

Hope you didn't either cut yourself (bamboo splinters can be sharp) or
lose too much knitting.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Old August 5th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Olwyn Mary wrote:

The Other Kim wrote:
I somehow managed to break a bamboo needle. Not a little 2-mm sock
needle, of which I've broken many in bamboo and wood (I keep extra
sets to replace the broken ones as I go along), but a 3.75-mm. I
was making a dishcloth when I felt it give way about 2" from the tip.
Guess I don't know my own strength g

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

That was my worry when I had to buy some bamboo needles size 5 in a
hurry, and couldn't wait until I could get some nice, strong aluminum
ones.

I've been using bamboo circulars for years (and years, and years,
and...g), and the only needles I've ever had snap on me were the
smaller DPs for socks. This was weird.

I prefer bamboo because I like the control I have with them. With metal
needles my stitches just slide around too much. With the bamboo I have
far fewer dropped stitches than I did with metal.

Hope you didn't either cut yourself (bamboo splinters can be sharp) or
lose too much knitting.

No problems with either. The needle broke but stayed more or less
intact, and I was able to transfer the stitches to another one before
the tip fell off completely. It was only a dishcloth, so even if I had
lost anything it would have been easy enough to fix.