Stretch Magic Warning

Old June 10th 04, 03:34 PM
Candace

Default Stretch Magic Warning

I can probably count the pieces of jewelry I've made on one hand that didn't
have some part end up in my mouth, Kathy! lol Usually it's the thread..I'm a
mouth moistener-for-threading-the-needle type

Again..washing is good

As many of you long timers know, I've made thousands of bracelets out of
Stretch Magic, mostly for giveaways to strangers. What I found out when I
started making them is that the Stretch Magic marked as 1 mm is almost always

0.7 or 0.8 mm instead. Not that it was a problem, but it made it a little
easier to get through beads with small holes.

I don't and won't use the 0.5 mm Stretch Magic for give-away bracelets: they

just do not stand up, especially when children go near them. I've also found

that the very narrow stuff ages/yellows a lot more quickly than the 0.7/0.8
mm stuff.

Last night, when I was stringing my watches, I realized I was having a heck
of a time getting the beads through the holes. I'm sure a huge part of it
was that I was shaking like a freshly bathed dog tossed into a snowstorm, but

the thread seemed "fatter" to me. I dug out the old calipers, and yep - the
1mm Stretch Magic is now 1mm thick! Not that it's a huge problem, but it is
a change, and you want to be aware of it before you try to string on 4mm
"Austrian Crystals" onto the fatter thread.

BTW, that doesn't work. The crystals don't quite fit, and much swearing
ensues.

Oh yes, for those who are new: Stretch Magic is a wonderful medium for
stringing bracelets, especially for those bracelets who don't have a
predetermined recipient in mind. The bracelets are finshed with a surgeon's
knot (a square knot with one extra pass of thread on the second step), dabbed

with either a teeny bit of clear, cheap nail polish or watch crystal cement.

To get your knot as small as humanly possible, Stretch Magic needs some kind
of moisture to glide easily. This could be your nail polish, a bit of water
or (you can all say "eww") spit. Since my stuff gets washed before it goes
anywhere, I suspect that the spit isn't the hideous disease carrying problem
you'd think it could be. It's just that walking across the house to dab
water on a bit of Stretch Magic is a lot more than I can do sometimes.

Kathy N-V

~Candace~
Orphan Beads Low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Old June 10th 04, 06:35 PM
Dr. Sooz

I was shaking like a freshly bathed dog tossed into a snowstorm

??? Don't those just freeze solid immediately?

(Maybe I'm watching too many cartoons)
Haw haw haw
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old June 10th 04, 06:40 PM
Paula C. Hunter

I have noticed myself that it has become uneven! The last 7 spools I have
used the diameter goes from 7 or 8mm to 1mm and up all on the same spool! I
find "stretching" the thicker parts out with my nail works pretty good....
They must be having a problem during manufacturing.

Paula

. giganews.com...

Old June 10th 04, 06:43 PM
Candace

DH once cut open his hand on a jagged edged bead, and didn't realize it (the
man's hands are pure callous, he just happened to hit the one section that was
still soft, but had no feeling) and he continued working on the necklace he was
making. I came along about 30 minutes later and asked him where he got the
brownish red thread, because I knew we only had white bead thread, and was
afraid he was using sewing thread to match his amber colored beads!

He _almost_ kept the blood stained thread, citing how well it matched his
necklace

Sooz wrote

Old June 10th 04, 08:01 PM
Dr. Sooz

There's a woman who makes Tori Amos art dolls (they are seriously expensive).
She includes her blood or fingernails or hair in each doll. This seems
dangerous to me -- it gives the doll owner too much spitiual power over the
dollmaker.....
http://www.anita-butler.co.uk/patkochie/pat.htm

Old June 11th 04, 12:25 AM
BeckiBead

I can probably count the pieces of jewelry I've made on one hand that didn't
have some part end up in my mouth, Kathy!

I can probably count the pieces of jewelry I've made on one hand that didn't
have some part end up in my mouth, Kathy!

OMG -- this is ME!! I just thought it was like another hand!

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows
Old June 11th 04, 12:41 AM
Dr. Sooz

I can probably count the pieces of jewelry I've made on one hand that didn't
have some part end up in my mouth, Kathy!

OMG -- this is ME!! I just thought it was like another hand!

.....it isn't? :-O
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old June 11th 04, 12:47 AM
BeckiBead

When doing knotted pieces, I have been known to sit on the floor and also use
my toes (to keep the tension correct). People tell me it looks very strange.
LOL