Wood supplies

Old November 12th 05, 09:41 AM
IanF

Default Wood supplies

Anybody on this group live in the South West (UK). I live in North
Cornwall and I'm trying to find a local supplier (within an hours drive
say) of wood for carving. Any ideas please?

IanF
Old November 12th 05, 03:28 PM

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:41:11 +0000, IanF
wrote:

Anybody on this group live in the South West (UK). I live in North
Cornwall and I'm trying to find a local supplier (within an hours drive
say) of wood for carving. Any ideas please?

IanF

Try: http://www.woodfinder.com/

If you fail to turn up anything locally, why not order over the web
from someone such as: http://www.craftwoods.com/ (and others, I'm
sure)

HTH
Bill

Old November 13th 05, 12:12 PM
IanF

Thanks for the suggestions, but not sure I want to start dragging timber
all the way across the Big Pond. Wish I could though because some of
the prices that you guys pay in the States are very low compared to UK
prices.

IanF

Old November 13th 05, 03:14 PM

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:12:16 +0000, IanF
wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, but not sure I want to start dragging timber
all the way across the Big Pond. Wish I could though because some of
the prices that you guys pay in the States are very low compared to UK
prices.

IanF

Are there no mail order houses in the UK?

If the prices are that bad, it may be worth while to order from
overseas. I've done this on a rare occasion, with books, etc and
found that you can find reasonable shipping costs if you look really
hard.

Good luck
Bill

Old November 13th 05, 11:02 PM

have you tried www.ebay.co.uk then?

Old November 15th 05, 02:34 AM
Tom Hayden

Ian

Wood Carving magazine, the world's finest magazine on the subject (in my
simple, colonial US opinion) lists the following UK timber suppliers -

www.interestingtimbers.co.uk says they have mail order available

www.exotichardwoods.co.uk doesn't mention mail order

www.slhardwoods.co.uk can order from on-line from this company

www.wlwest.co.uk

Not knowing UK geography, I have no idea where any of these companies are
located, but even if they're not withing a reasonable drive, maybe you can
buy what you need by mail or on-line.

Good luck,

Tom

Old November 15th 05, 08:35 AM
Henry Springer

wrote:

Anybody on this group live in the South West (UK). I live in North
Cornwall and I'm trying to find a local supplier (within an hours drive
say) of wood for carving. Any ideas please?

Try Linolnshire Woodcraft Supplies. I know it's the wrong part of the
country but they have a good stock of english and exotic timbers and
do mail order. It's only a small business (just up the road from me)
and they are very helpful

I don't think they have a website but do a good catalogue.

Tel 01780 757825

Old November 15th 05, 08:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving

Thanks for the replies All. I think I'll have to do the mail order/'Net
thing after all so the links supplied will be used. I'm maybe a bit old
fashioned and like to handle the wood before I buy it when possible.

Old November 15th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving

Ian,
I used to live near a relatively large city (Washington, DC) and had
no problem finding wood locally. There are no local suppliers in the
small town I've move to, so I have been ordering basswood and
butternut on-line. I also know a couple of other carvers who have
been ordering on-line and we have all been very pleased with the
results.

Bill