OT , knowing the various calendars -and ideas in Relation to Textiles

Old March 26th 05, 10:10 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default OT , knowing the various calendars -and ideas in Relation to Textiles

Hallo all , Happy Weekend/ Easter/Purim Please choose ..
Good morning /evening please choose .
Due to some discussions here lately. I had to think about the only
time that i had to consider knitting , and other handcrafts , in
relation to religious beliefs. When i lectured, taught and adviced in
inciating courses for the Orthodox Christian Seminar, in Nazereth.
Most students were Orthodox Christian, Several were Muslim and several
Maronic Christians , and i think 2 Druzes.
Teachers were of all the above mentioned groups as well as Jewish
teachers.
For every course and class i had to know who can or can`t study at a
certain date in the year . So that nobody looses one lesson , during
the whole study year.
It took me many hours of making tables . But at the end everybody was
happy and i had a great headache.
The other time/place where i had to deal with Different ideologies ,
in a textile related class, was In my very own classroom of Advanced
Textiles History, which was given once a week , to a Class of Tel Hay
College. Since al the students as well as me live around or close
the Western Gallilee , = 3 hours by bus to TelHay, we got permission
to hold this class in Nahariya. Alas the class that included 1-2
` representatives` of Christian , Muslim , Druz and Jewish girls,
showed several unpatient behaviours. Esp when some girls mentioned
their special holidays,,, I Immidiately suggested , that Every one
brings to class the Special foods of any holiday , as well as a
explains shortly about the holiday`s meaning and tradions.
The young women also brought into this class, Problems and dillemas
they encountered in other Art classes. Originally it was meant to
breach the Debates of the Art / craft dillemas. But soon they started
to bring in [ or phone me ], about any other Art ponderings.
One of the Most Heated discussion was when a Druze student, was
assigned , by an other teacher in her art class, to write an essay and
,make an art related work about "The last Supper" , and another one
about the Sea.
Although they both came from a village that had Christian people as
well . The first one had no clue what the "last Supper "was and i was
appaled at the Christian`s students Booing her question. And i
politely adviced them to tell her the whole story. The second girl,
wore all the time a white headkerchief , which indicated her being an
observant of her Druze belief. Thus she never even touched sea water ,
never swam in the sea, and her main complaint was that her art teacher
would notlisten to her not being familiar with any sea related
experience. We had a long discussion about and i suggested to her that
she will ask her teaher to change the subject, by coming up with her
own chocen subject, while i will explain it to the teacher from my
side. She chose to speak about the Symbolic meanings of the Pillow
cushions she was embroidering for her dowry .
My ex students stay in touch with me, and i think we all learned that
by sharing and talking, we all gain, and widen our horizons.
Just like i feel we all in this Wonderful RCTY do ,,,,
Happy days to all .
mirjam

Old March 26th 05, 10:24 AM
Anna MCM

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

One of the Most Heated discussion was when a Druze student, was
assigned , by an other teacher in her art class, to write an essay and
,make an art related work about "The last Supper" , and another one
about the Sea.=20
Although they both came from a village that had Christian people as
well . The first one had no clue what the "last Supper "was and i was
appaled at the Christian`s students Booing her question. And i
politely adviced them to tell her the whole story.=20

Well done, Mirjam!
Good that these classes can be a point of mutual knowledge. They must be =

really a challenge, but also very rewarding for the teachers.
I was booed once at a lesson for asking (politely of course) the=20
difference beetween Ashkenazi and Sephardi Jewish.
I was so sorry for that, since my question was a sincere one and didn=B4t=
=20
want by any mean to offend the Jewish university mate who booed me.
I=B4m sorry, but I come from a town where almost all Jewish people were=20
killed during WWII and I was so deprived of the possibilty of coming in=20
contact with their culture from young ages. I always missed that in my=20
life.

By the way, the level of religious knowledge (cultural I mean, I am not=20
discussing about personal faith) is very low and near to disaster in Ital=
y.
When I visit museums I see often the curators give oftern totally wrong=20
names to religious pictures.
I was VERY saddened once when I visited Parma baptistry (if you go to=20
Parma, visit it, it=B4s beautiful!). The guide had to explain EVERYTHING =

to Italian turists and they looked at it like they were looking at a=20
Chinese temple (something totally distant from them I mean).
Think that frescoes were done for people who couldn=B4t read!

Keep the good work for mutual knowledge, that=B4s important!

Lots of hugs,

Anna Maria

Old March 26th 05, 03:50 PM
spampot

Anna MCM wrote:

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

One of the Most Heated discussion was when a Druze student, was
assigned , by an other teacher in her art class, to write an essay and
,make an art related work about "The last Supper" , and another one
about the Sea. Although they both came from a village that had
Christian people as
well . The first one had no clue what the "last Supper "was and i was
appaled at the Christian`s students Booing her question. And i
politely adviced them to tell her the whole story.

Well done, Mirjam!
Good that these classes can be a point of mutual knowledge. They must be
really a challenge, but also very rewarding for the teachers.
I was booed once at a lesson for asking (politely of course) the
difference beetween Ashkenazi and Sephardi Jewish.
I was so sorry for that, since my question was a sincere one and didnīt
want by any mean to offend the Jewish university mate who booed me.

That is such a shame! You might be interested in looking at this link I
found when looking up Purim and Passover dates yesterday:

www.angelfire.com/pa2/passover/ countdownclock/countdownclock.html

It has a link on differences between Ashkenazic and Sepphardic Passover
Customs, that might lead somewhere else.

Iīm sorry, but I come from a town where almost all Jewish people were
killed during WWII and I was so deprived of the possibilty of coming in
contact with their culture from young ages. I always missed that in my
life.

By the way, the level of religious knowledge (cultural I mean, I am not
discussing about personal faith) is very low and near to disaster in Italy.
When I visit museums I see often the curators give oftern totally wrong
names to religious pictures.
I was VERY saddened once when I visited Parma baptistry (if you go to
Parma, visit it, itīs beautiful!). The guide had to explain EVERYTHING
to Italian turists and they looked at it like they were looking at a
Chinese temple (something totally distant from them I mean).
Think that frescoes were done for people who couldnīt read!

Keep the good work for mutual knowledge, thatīs important!

Lots of hugs,

Anna Maria

Old March 28th 05, 07:19 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Good Monday Anna- Maria
The classes as such go on , but i am no longer part of it . After i
laid the foundation and helped revolunair the concept , of the classes
i left. But many of my plans and ideas were incorportaed into the new
courses even last year. My best `legacy` was the Last week of the
study year, When students from all over the country , from all Social
, Religions, Nationalities, Stay for one week together in one locality
, where they Join Artshops for all .... eat together , share rooms
etc,,,, I am told bt ex colleagues that every year it is the same ,
First day people are cautious , last day all are one big family ...
Another good legacy was that teachers should be well read and
knowledgeable about the heritage, traditions , beliefs and culture of
their future students.
My having studied, History , Social studies and Textiles and knowing
languages, has given me a wide background to lean on when dealing with
my various Students. And if i feel/felt not prepared i don`t hesitate
to call the best possible expert ....and ask and get help in
understanding.
Speaking to clergy people of each group , helped me understand what
was allowed or forbiden , for each group. Thus whenever we had to talk
about a subject that was delicate, i made a point of saying in class
that all should be aware that this or that group were not allowed to
paint , speak or deal with said subject, because of their tradion.
Several Times certain students excused themselves, and left the class,
but most just sat in and listened to others discussing it.
Most Clergy suggested this way, to overcome the problem.
I think that the understanding students recieved , that each group has
prohibited subjects, made wonders fortheir mutual respect. It took
away the Fear from the other, it showed that basicly all humans are
alike. It made the differences into Coffee differences ... Every year
i started with the Coffee difference example !! i told stuidents that
as they know , Coffee is a matter of personal taste, some like it Hot
, some like it mild, some like it with sugar some without ..and some
do not like it at all .... my question was if they would disrespect
somebody for their different taste in coffee ,,,,, a General NO in the
class ....and than i said that cultural differences are just the same
, So please accept ALL OTHER people` differences , just as if is their
taste in coffee ...
mirjam

Old March 28th 05, 07:29 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Anna Maria
Many art curtaors now try to be more accurtae and politicaly correct.
Many old /classical names of art works , Have quite offending names.
for example , the term primitive art ,, is now more correctly called
Tribal art .. The assumption of European curators that tribal
artifacts were Primitive is unbearable to us modern lookers.
And some clasical Artifacts are unkind to other religions as well ,
thus more mild names are given .
Yes , church walls were painted to tell the scriptures to a public
that could not read. But many of those pictures were also made , to
keep people in line , in the moral of their time, and bring the fear
of God into their minds. And maybe some people lost this fear .
While they stil admire the art of the works.

mirjam