faux leather

Old February 2nd 04, 07:49 PM
dragon tiger

Default faux leather

Does anyone know of any resourses for working with faux leathers and pvc's.
Like how do I press seams without melting the fabric and tip on sewing with
it.

--
Maigen
Dragon-Tiger Clothing

Old February 2nd 04, 09:44 PM
Maine-iac Rose

found at: http://www.sewnews.com/library/sewne...ry/aathis2.htm

The hardware store holds an array of gadgets and goodies that are
indispensable in the sewing room. Best of all, you may already have many of
these items if you have a home workshop.

A rubber mallet is surprisingly useful in flattening seams or hems on thick
fabric or leather and especially on heavy flat-fell seams. Test on a fabric
scrap first and be careful not to leave mallet prints. Then fold and pin
heavy seams in place. Heat them with steam from the iron (if appropriate for
the fabric), without actually touching the iron to the fabric. Place the
seam or hem right-side-down on a padded surface and strike it with the
mallet to flatten. Stitching through the flattened seam is much easier.

I think I remember something about not even using an iron, but to use some
wooden press thing. I would try out a small piece with the steam from the
iron, and see what happens first, if it shows any indications of using
anything on it before constructing any garment in leather, whether real or
faux.

here is another page:
http://www.sewnews.com/library/sewne...y/aatips23.htm

The delicate napped surfaces of faux leathers and suede's require special
pressing to prevent melting. Traditional methods for making seams lie flat
on these fabrics usually include fusing, gluing and/or topstitching. Using a
regular cotton towel as a press cloth will allow you to press these fabrics
(even on the right side) without leaving press marks.

Hope this helps...Maine-iac Rose