Flannel

Old January 22nd 04, 12:51 AM
Angela Moak

Default Flannel

Okay, I went a little nuts after Thanksgiving at JoAnns and bought about
40 yards of flannel. My question is this, it is labeled "not intended
for children's sleepwear" does this include things like receiving
blankets? I want to make some light receiving blankets for two of my
employees, but I don't want to use something that may be dangerous.

BTW-Sorry for not posting in ages, my computer and I have been having
issues for about six months. It miraculously started working again,
although I am suspicious that the DH did something to it to ease the
whining.

--
Regards,

Angela

Remove "not" from address to reply.

Old January 22nd 04, 01:07 AM
Jenn Ridley

Angela Moak wrote:

Okay, I went a little nuts after Thanksgiving at JoAnns and bought about
40 yards of flannel. My question is this, it is labeled "not intended
for children's sleepwear" does this include things like receiving
blankets?

No. You can use it for blankets. Many blankets you find in the
stores are finished rectangles of cotton flannel.

I want to make some light receiving blankets for two of my
employees, but I don't want to use something that may be dangerous.

The only reason it's labeled 'not intended for sleepwear' is that it's
not been treated for flame retardation. That's really not a problem
with a blanket, since it's relatively easy to remove a blanket from a
person.

Jammies, otoh, are harder to get off. Generally, this is a good
thing, but you don't want to get stuck in burning jammies.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Old January 22nd 04, 01:12 AM
Valkyrie

"Angela Moak" wrote in message
Okay, I went a little nuts after Thanksgiving at JoAnns and bought about
40 yards of flannel. My question is this, it is labeled "not intended
for children's sleepwear" does this include things like receiving
blankets? I want to make some light receiving blankets for two of my
employees, but I don't want to use something that may be dangerous.

Awhile back the fabric of children's, under 12yo I believe, pajamas had to
be fire-proofed by Federal law. I'm not saying that it isn't a good thing to
be very careful with our precious children and do all we can to keep them
safe but, IMPO, it was just more hyped up fear tactics to make more money
and give the politicians some of those "Hey look what I have done by passing
a law for the good of the world and all the little children" vote getting
opportunities.

Anyway, the disclaimer "not intended for children's sleepwear" just means it
hasn't been impregnated with fireproofing chemicals. (there's also as many
screaming fearful warnings on the net about the chemicals used to fireproof
as the dangers of flammable cloth) I have made a lot of jammies, blankets
and stuffed animals out of the 'not intended' stuff and not a single child
recipient has, as yet, gone up in flames or been victim of spontaneous
combustion. I would, however use extreme caution if you are using this
material for a 2 year old who is known to have that one last cigarette while
propped in his crib before calling it a day. The other thing to take into
account is that after a number of washings this treated fabric is no longer
fire-proof anyway.

Val

Old January 22nd 04, 02:41 AM
Penny S

Valkyrie wrote:
[...]

Val, thanks for such a healthy dose of experience and common sense, and the
smile.

Penny S

Old January 22nd 04, 05:03 AM
David Harmon

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:12:24 -0800 in rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,
"Valkyrie" was alleged to have written:
as the dangers of flammable cloth) I have made a lot of jammies, blankets
and stuffed animals out of the 'not intended' stuff and not a single child
recipient has, as yet, gone up in flames or been victim of spontaneous
combustion.

Is it cotton or synthetic? For myself, since there is 40 yards of it, I
would cut a scrap from it and light it to see just how vigorously it
burns.

Old January 22nd 04, 05:25 AM

Flannel

(David=A0Harmon)
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:12:24 -0800 in rec.crafts.textiles.sewing,
"Valkyrie" was alleged to have written:
as the dangers of flammable cloth) I have made a lot of jammies,
blankets and stuffed animals out of the 'not intended' stuff and not a
single child recipient has, as yet, gone up in flames or been victim of
spontaneous combustion.
Is it cotton or synthetic? For myself, since there is 40 yards of it,
I would cut a scrap from it and light it to see just how vigorously it
burns.
---
Well, it's cotton, so it will burn. IMHO, this isn't a very good test.
Some poly and blends destruct equally fast, but instead of turning to
ash, as cotton does, they melt onto a gummy residue. Think what that
would do on a body.
I think the pj issue is a serious non issue. The bigger issue:
kid-proof the house. Matches, lighters, cigarette butts from the party
the night before, access to the stove knobs; put all flammables where
they cannot get to them, and DO NOT use portable gas or propane heaters
to warm the house in the wintertime. Every year here, children die
because they have over-turned a portable liquid-fuel heater.
Unfortunately, they provide cheap heat for poor folk, so they continue
to be used indoors.
Cea

Old January 22nd 04, 07:32 AM
Sally Holmes

Angela Moak wrote:
Okay, I went a little nuts after Thanksgiving at JoAnns and bought
about 40 yards of flannel. My question is this, it is labeled "not
intended for children's sleepwear" does this include things like
receiving blankets?

This sounds like it's from the people who brought you warnings about the
possibility of coffee being hot! "You can't sue us: we _did_ warm you!"

There's a potential problem of flamability if clothes made of flannel (UK:
flannelette) get too close to an open flame. The major issue with children's
nightclothes is nighties, because they contain more, looser, fabric than
pyjamas. If a little girl in a full nightie was very close to a fire or
candle flame, her nightie could catch light without her realising at first.
In that case, cotton will flare and burn quite quickly. It's less of an
issue with close-fitting garmens such as pyjamas because the child would be
aware of the intense heat on the skin before the cotton got hot enough to
flare.

There's some debate about the relative harmfulness of cotton vs synthetics
in large fires such as house fires because while synthetics don't flare and
burn, they do melt and stick to the skin.

I'm not aware that there's been any sort of warning about cotton fabrics
used for quilts. Surely, they'd have the same flammability issues? Maybe
no-one's tried to sue so manufacturers and retailers haven't realised the
risk is there.

To reduce risk, in order of "uh, yeah" "well, that's just common sense":
1. If you really want to make sleepwear out of cotton of any sort, make it
snug-fitting.
2. Keep it well away from a naked flame.
3. Keep naked flames well away from children.

I make baby quilts out of cotton and sometimes back them with flannel and
the recipients love them. But them, I'm English, and we're not as
litigation-happy.

BTW-Sorry for not posting in ages, my computer and I have been having
issues for about six months. It miraculously started working again,
although I am suspicious that the DH did something to it to ease the
whining.

Yours or the computer's? :-)

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old January 22nd 04, 08:43 AM
Kyla

ROFL! Your whole post made me crack up! "Litigation happy" hit the nail
right on the head! ;o)
--
Kyla --who has two small children, and neither of them wear *special*
flame-retardant pjs...heck, I'm lucky if I get them to put ANYTHING on ;o)

Old January 22nd 04, 10:29 AM
Trishty

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:43:19 GMT, Kyla wrote:

ROFL! Your whole post made me crack up! "Litigation happy" hit the nail
right on the head! ;o)

According to a recent book by Gore Vidal, America has 4 per cent of the
world's population and two-thirds of the world's lawyers...

Trish