Focus on Design - Block size and large quilts

Old January 11th 05, 10:33 PM
frood

Default Focus on Design - Block size and large quilts

After reading through the ideas thread for king-size quilt, it got me
thinking about large quilts and the blocks chosen to make them up.

If you choose 6" blocks (or smaller), you end up having to make a gazillion
of them to do a queen or king-size quilt.

If you chose 12" blocks, there are fewer blocks to interact, and therefore,
fewer design elements. Granted, you could do a very intricate 12" block, but
why kill yourself? G

Are there block elements that lend themselves to larger design areas? It
seems that blocks with a diagonal focus would draw the eye around. Road to
California is one example, log cabin is another. RtC seems like it would
lend itself to a block large enough to go quickly, yet offer many
possibilities for layout design. Log cabin, on the other hand, looks best
(INMHO) with skinny logs, but that leaves the choice of many small blocks or
a gazillion-round LC.

And what about medallions? Those offer a chance to "take up" a large design
area, leaving fewer blocks to piece.

I think it would be interesting to see how others approach this particular
design challenge.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old January 11th 05, 11:24 PM
Diana Curtis

I havent done a king sized quilt, though one could easily be in my
future...and really this could apply to any larger than full sized bed.
I think I would start looking at 2 different 12 inch blocks that work
together to form an interesting secondary pattern. By carefully choosing
colors and patterns to maximize the second pattern youd end up filling the
vast space Turning a block on point is another trick to make the block go
farther... pairing it with a *blank* block.
Thats my two cents worth. I dont have pictures for examples.. I hope someone
else does.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
. com...

Old January 12th 05, 01:03 AM
KI Graham

A smaller number of blocks can go further if you get creative with setting
them: for example, one of my Bible Block sampler quilts is a queen sized
quilt, even though it only has a dozen 12" blocks. The bonus for this type
of "strippy" setting is that it's easy to divide into panels for quilting:
this quilt was quilted in three sections, then the top and bottom borders
were added and quilted last.
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/gallery/cover.html

that same dozen blocks only makes a single quilt when set with simple
sashing:
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g.../adamquilt.JPG

Another of my quilts takes 16 12" blocks to make a double [72"] squa the
blocks are set without sashing, but with three borders that total 12"
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g.../emmanuel.html

Jacob's Ladder takes 36 12" blocks to make the same size quilt, because
there are no borders
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...lts/jacob2.jpg

A group in Texas made a sampler using 18 12" blocks plus 17 simple
"cornerstone" blocks to make a long queen quilt [84" x 108"]. The
cornerstone alternating blocks give the sampler blocks some breathing room
and help to tie the quilt together.
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g.../bbcowser.html

Ginourmous borders can help make a bigger quilt--especially if you use a
special focus fabric. A couple of examples a
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/gallery/kimcar.html
and
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g.../kingdavid.jpg

and sometimes, just floating fewer blocks in a "frame" of background can
look pretty spectacular, especially if you do some fancy quilting:

http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...crosscrown.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...ilts/dirks.jpg

Hope that adds something to this discussion. I'm teaching a sampler class
right now, and keep telling my students: just make the blocks...we can turn
them into any size quilt you want with a little creativity.

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old January 12th 05, 01:23 AM
Polly Esther

The "baskets" quilts are a good choice for king-size. They can be quite
large and placed, of course, on point. The one I just made had a 2 year
time-out - I just got so tired looking at it. The grand way out of
conquering king-size is to get help. All the help you can. My favorite is a
magnificent longarm quilter. Hint, hint. Polly

Old January 12th 05, 01:40 AM
Diana Curtis

Those are lovely examples of stretching a minimum of blocks without making
it look as tho you were trying to.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 12th 05, 02:08 AM
frood

Kim - (replying on Polly's post cuz my ISP won't let me see any others,
including my own for this thread!) Thank you for those wonderful examples!
Pictures really are a great way to show what you mean. Of course, an
in-person quilt show is even better. What time shall I come over for coffee?

Polly, do you favor pointing all the baskets the same way? Meeting in the
middle? Oriented to the outer edges?

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
Put on your Big Girl panties and just deal with it. -- unknown

ink.net...

Old January 12th 05, 02:47 AM
KI Graham

At the rate we're going...March? We're snowed in big time he and since
Vancouver Island gets snow so seldom, it may be months before we get dug
out.

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
THE WORD IN PATCHWORK

. com...

Old January 12th 05, 02:59 AM
Polly Esther

Wendy, when I was putting my basket quilt together, it didn't even cross my
mind that the baskets could point any direction except toward the pillow end
of the bed. Older and wiser (or perhaps liberated from rules) I would
probably consider quilter's choice as well as viewer's perspective.
(Meaning: will the quilt be viewed from the foot of the bed or the side?)
I can not tell you how the quilt I made looks on a bed. It was gift to
our DDIL and our DS. Thus far, it is cherished on their family room sofa.
The sofa is about the size of Montana and it seems that the basket quilt
covers one and all at tv time. Whatever. Wherever. Well, so long as they
don't decide it's an heirloom and put it away. Polly

"frood" wrote (in part)

Old January 12th 05, 08:38 AM
Patti

Hullo Wendy
Interesting discussion topic - I will have a think and get back,
hopefully.
However, just one point about medallion quilts:
It isn't just one centre pieced block and lots of borders - some of the
borders should be pieced also.
..
In article , frood
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 12th 05, 12:02 PM
Kate Dicey

Polly Esther wrote:

Wendy, when I was putting my basket quilt together, it didn't even cross my
mind that the baskets could point any direction except toward the pillow end
of the bed. Older and wiser (or perhaps liberated from rules) I would
probably consider quilter's choice as well as viewer's perspective.
(Meaning: will the quilt be viewed from the foot of the bed or the side?)
I can not tell you how the quilt I made looks on a bed. It was gift to
our DDIL and our DS. Thus far, it is cherished on their family room sofa.
The sofa is about the size of Montana and it seems that the basket quilt
covers one and all at tv time. Whatever. Wherever. Well, so long as they
don't decide it's an heirloom and put it away. Polly

That's a very good use for a quilt! If the one I made for James was
always on his bed, we'd never see it as he has a high level bunk! As it
is his single bed sized quilt makes a good lap quilt for thee people and
two cats. We have been watching Firefly DVDs covered in stars... Seems
very appropriate!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk