Focus on Design: Storm at Sea Quilts

Old July 2nd 04, 02:45 PM
hellofromsmd

Default Focus on Design: Storm at Sea Quilts

Mauvice, your S@S is lovely! This topic is very timely as I just
picked out S@S as something I'd like to try. I saw a gorgeous one in
one of Joen Wolfram's books (that I checked out due to recomendations
from rctq). Neat-o!

I'd also like to hear advice on how to do the colorways to emphasize
the curves.

Sonya

" mauvicem" wrote in message .. .
http://photos.yahoo.com/mauvicem
Hi Pat
here is a link for the S@S I made as wedding present for DS and
DDIL...I used paper piecing for the long diamond shapes until I got the hang
of the angle needed.....I love this quilt ...they use it as an art piece on
the wall, I love my DDIL she realizes the point of conservation, brought it
back to me to have it laundered!!! When they moved she carried it with her
so as not to lose it....I made this simultaneously with another quilt, plaid
quilt called Circle Star, YUCK, I am not a plaid girl ....couldn't make the
border fit!!!! stretchy plaids,,,,ended up giving all the plaids to a
quilting friend....I am still finding pieces of plaid in my scraps...THEY"RE
BACK!!!!!!!!!!....Beieve it or not it was a relief to work on the SaS and
not on the plaid quilt from Hades!!

--
Mauvice in Central WI

Old July 2nd 04, 10:24 PM
Michael Curtis

Since Im the one who wanted to know how to create the curvy, seasick effect
perhaps its my turn to step up and tell why.
A young friend has asked for a black, grey, and deep red quilt. I thought
a storm at sea would be a great way to use those colors. I have tried
several different ways of putting those colors into a blank S at S and they
look great, but not terribly like the quilt I was hoping. I need to rethink
the placement, the value or the whole quilt. I would post my sample so you
could see where this whole thing is going but its on my dead computer. :-(
Maybe the problem for me is that S at S only looks right in shades of
blues and white ...sometimes greens, water colors.
Your thoughts, oh artistic ones?
Diana

"hellofromsmd" wrote in message
om...
Mauvice, your S@S is lovely! This topic is very timely as I just
picked out S@S as something I'd like to try. I saw a gorgeous one in
one of Joen Wolfram's books (that I checked out due to recomendations
from rctq). Neat-o!

I'd also like to hear advice on how to do the colorways to emphasize
the curves.

Sonya

.. .

Old July 3rd 04, 12:35 AM
Betty in Wi

Diana

I made a Storm At Sea quilt from a Better Homes & Gardens pattern in light
and dark green with a red heart in one corner. The heart was created by
using red instead of green for some of the pieces. You could do this with
the black, grey, and red. I did a search for the pattern--but came up with
nothing. I can scan the picture and send it to you if you like.

Betty

"Michael Curtis" wrote in message
news
[...]

.. .

Old July 3rd 04, 12:52 AM
Pati Cook

The July-August Quilter's Newletter Magazine has a gorgeous Storm at Sea done in
black, grays and yellow-orange-reds that is called Heat Wave. It is great and
you might take a look at it for an idea of how to use the black/ grey/ color in
this pattern.
I want to do one of these, but not sure what colors I want to use.

love that "long armed star" that is formed.

Pati, in PHx.

Michael Curtis wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old July 3rd 04, 01:21 AM
Michael Curtis

I'd very much appreciate it. The more variations I see the happier I will
be. Thank you for offering!
Diana

Old July 3rd 04, 01:22 AM
Michael Curtis

That sounds like a great idea. Ill take a look. I think I am missing the
boat on values. Black is so absolute.
Diana

Michael Curtis wrote:

Since Im the one who wanted to know how to create the curvy, seasick

effect
perhaps its my turn to step up and tell why.
A young friend has asked for a black, grey, and deep red quilt. I

thought
a storm at sea would be a great way to use those colors. I have tried
several different ways of putting those colors into a blank S at S and

they
look great, but not terribly like the quilt I was hoping. I need to

rethink
the placement, the value or the whole quilt. I would post my sample so

you
could see where this whole thing is going but its on my dead computer.

:-(
Maybe the problem for me is that S at S only looks right in shades of
blues and white ...sometimes greens, water colors.
Your thoughts, oh artistic ones?
Diana

"hellofromsmd" wrote in message
om...
Mauvice, your S@S is lovely! This topic is very timely as I just
picked out S@S as something I'd like to try. I saw a gorgeous one in
one of Joen Wolfram's books (that I checked out due to recomendations
from rctq). Neat-o!

I'd also like to hear advice on how to do the colorways to emphasize
the curves.

Sonya

.. .

Old July 3rd 04, 02:35 AM
DDM

I think that is the same pattern (the red heart) that Joan8904 has (or had)
on her website a couple of years ago. It was done by her mother and had
been entered in the KY State Fair. It was very nice.

Dee in LeRoy, NY

"Betty in Wi" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old July 3rd 04, 03:30 AM
KJ

I believe that pattern was in the premier edition of the Better Home and
Gardens Patchwork and Quilting magazine. I've always thought I'd make it,
and it's probably been 10 years since it was published. It's still not
made.

"Betty in Wi" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Old July 3rd 04, 05:06 AM
nana2b

All this talk of the S at S quilt has made me think that my yellow and blue
quilt might actually get done. I love this pattern. Now all I have to do
is figure out where the colors need to go. I don't see this done anywhere
so it will be unusual in my circle of friends.
I will keep you posted. Any suggestions as to color placement is greatly
appreciated.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old July 3rd 04, 10:43 AM
Michael Curtis

I dont know if this idea will help you or not, but now, having seen Betty's
S at S (which is lovely, btw) I think the key for me will be to make one of
my jpg versions of the quilt, using the fabrics I like, and then turn it
into a grey scale image. That way I can get a clearer idea which fabrics are
not contributing to the wave feeling.
A blue and yellow one would look fabulous!
Diana