what am I doing wrong: need help with "no sew" fleece throw blanket!

Old December 5th 03, 12:53 AM
ellegirl

Default what am I doing wrong: need help with "no sew" fleece throw blanket!

Tried it for the first time today. I have the main side, and a 2nd
side of a diff. color. I cut 2 inch wide and 4 inch long fringes all
around, and cut out 4 inch. squares on the corners. But when I tied
the fringes to each other, my throw ended up looking "concave!" It
doesn't lay flat at all. How tight or not tight do I make the knots?
Thanks!
Old December 5th 03, 04:17 AM
..Mickie Swall..

Your cut strips need to be a lot thinner than 2" - it is the gathering
of this width in the knots that is making the outside edges cup.
Try cutting each of those 4" strips into 3 or 4 strips, each of them
1/2" to 3/4" wide - that should solve the problem! Of course you will
have to un-tie each of those knots, cut the narrower strips and then
re-tie all of them. You might want to experiment with a scrap to
see which of the narrower widths will work better for you.
Mickie

om...

Old December 5th 03, 05:23 AM
Sk8eraunt

I just tried making "no sew" fleece blankets as gifts for the first time this
year. It took me a couple of weeks to work up the courage to start cutting the
strips, and many people here on this group were very helpful. After I cut the
strips, instead of tieing the strips into regular knots, I used a "necktie"
knot. The result is a much more finished look.

One thing I realized when tieing strips, it shrinks the size of the blanket.
With another set of fleece material, I blanket stitched the two pieces
together, leaving the size of the blanket more intact. To personalize the
blanket, I sewed several pretty coordinating buttons on the blanket (not a good
idea, though, if you're making the blanket for a baby).

Both styles ended up very pretty. After I finished the two blankets, DH asked
me to make one for us.

kaila
Old December 5th 03, 08:13 PM
ellegirl

what is the necktie knot?
thanks for the help--my strips were way too wide!
Old December 6th 03, 09:32 PM
Sk8eraunt

what is the necktie knot?

It's a different way to tie a knot. Don't know if I can explain it correctly,
so anyone here is welcome to help explain it more clearly. To tie a necktie
knot, you hold both strips together, make a loop and pull both strips through
the loop. I hope it works for you!

kaila
Old December 6th 03, 09:37 PM
Dragonfly

Sounds like she means just a simple overhand knot with both strips held
together in the one knot, rather than something like a square knot done with
each strip held separately (which is what it sounds to me like you did the
first time?)

Dragonfly