Hand-Made Beaded Jewelry For Sale

Old February 15th 04, 04:16 AM
Mj

For anyone's information:

Lazurite:
http://mineral.galleries.com/mineral...e/lazurite.htm
Lazulite:
http://mineral.galleries.com/mineral...e/lazulite.htm

Ahh. I love the internet - there's so much info you can find with just a
few keystrokes!!

Mj
--
=================================
Marjean Cline

I went to look it up in my Audubon (and yes, I should have done that

before
my other post) too. I see that the lazulite in your link comes from
Afganistan. Is that where the stone you got is from? I see we also have

it
in North America, and that it also goes by the name lapis lazuli here.

Old February 15th 04, 08:18 PM
Elaine

I have unsubscribed to rec.crafts.beads do to the continual assault there.
I have been flamed, insulted, and criticized. I didn't see any of the
"Very co-operative, eager to help" you described. I am saddened that
beaders would stoop to such terrorism. I apologized for my blunder and
explained that I was new and yet they call my apology complaining.

I do not take kindly to insults, I'm a very sensitive person, sometimes
I'll admit, too sensitive. I am very emotional and intense so I tend to
take everything personally for that's how I am. I say what I mean and mean
what I say and do everything whole-heartedly. I'm quite friendly once you
get to know me, but before then I'm super shy. If I get a bad reaction to
something I stop doing it and in the case of groups, if I feel insulted and
unwanted, I leave. Just today, I got a flame from Kathy N-V that was so
violent and resentful that I was shocked. My boyfriend insists I should
just ignore it, but any emotion directed towards me is taken to heart.
It's my nature. She may not have meant it personally, but even then my
boyfriend agreed it was totally uncalled for. The fact she treated me like
that after I honestly apologized hurt. I am sad to say I will not be
visiting rec.crafts.beads again. I am evidently unwelcome there.

As for my knowledge of rocks, well, it's just one of the many topics that I
know lots about - animals, rocks, plants, beads, the weather, ecology,
fossils, art, writing, drawing, mythology, astrology, astronomy, painting,
computers, and travel. I didn't learn much of anything in school mainly
because the system here in upstate NY is pathetic, but I have always had a
fascination with learning. In 4th grade, I was introduced to rocks and
plants by my slightly bizarre teacher, Mrs. Marsh. I have since researched
all the topics that interest me to the point it drives my boyfriend nuts.

I have gone all over the northeastern US, Eastern Canada, Ireland, Wales,
Scotland, and England to find quality stones for beading and my ever-
growing personal collection (as well as satisfying my lust for travel and
exploring). From jupiter-marked agate to kyanite, to lab-created bismuth
crystal from Germany to mahogany obsidian straight from Mexico, I collect
everything that fascinates me. Each piece I have is from high quality
dealers or passionate collectors like myself. Most of my collection is not
for sale, but the stones that are will be lovingly put into hand-made bead
and wire jewelry.

My knowledge is not absolute though, I have quite a number of stones that I
do not know the name of. I do my best to research everything about the
stones I have and will never mislabel a stone. If I don't know it, I don't
guess. The lazurite I have comes from a shop in Montreal, Canada where the
owner bought it from a dealer in the Middle East. I do not know if it was
Afganistan or not, but it may have been. I bought numerous stones from her
(at a lovely discount due to the size of my order, lol).

I've always considered lurking to be bad, but it seems this newsgroup thing
is warped. I talk about my beaded stuff on a bead group and I'm flamed, I
think lurking is bad and you suggest it. It is quite confusing. I will
try to remember all these rules and hopefully I will stop getting flamed by
unsympathetic people.

Thanks for being nice,

Elaine

"Christina Peterson" wrote in

Oh good. I'm glad you're sticking around to ask questions.

Cross-posting -- One of the problems with it is that many people
cross-post to several groups but don't participate in any. That's not
being part of a newsgroup; it's just spamming. Also, what works in
one group might be a no-no in another group. Like the AD thing here.

This group, RCB, is for sharing information. We sometimes show off
something we've done which is posted on a web site. If it's something
on eBay, it's supposed to have "AD" in front of it. This doesn't
always happen, but, for example, we have 4 of them (threads) today.
If someone wants to share a picture of something someone else has for
sale that they like, then they don't write ad; and usually there are a
bunch of them in a post.

We also share information about tutorials, where someone might look
for a specific item, sites about photographing bead stuff for
portfolio or eBay.

When we share stuff that's personal, or about the weather we are
supposed to put OT (off topic) in the subject line. That doesn't
always happen either.

"Lurking" is the best way to get a feel for the rules and also a good
way to get a feel for personalities. I don't think anybody really
came down hard on you. But I say that, knowing the personalities
here. Believe me, RCB is one of the most friendly groups I've ever
come across. Very co-operative, eager to help. So please don't take
offense where nothing personal was intended. I will admit you might
have gottn a couple short responses due to a couple of people around
here who were spamming here on purpose.

Thanks for the link. And the correction.

I went to look it up in my Audubon (and yes, I should have done that
before my other post) too. I see that the lazulite in your link comes
from Afganistan. Is that where the stone you got is from? I see we
also have it in North America, and that it also goes by the name lapis
lazuli here. There was another stone I went to first because it was
first in the index. Lazulite. They look very dissimilar except for
general color. The structure of Lazulite looks more translucent and
crystaline, though I see the lazurite from afganistan has a crystal
structure too.

How did you get your background in rocks ? Geology? Jewelry?
Traditional properties?

I'd like to invite all of you at, RCM to come take a peak here at RCB.
We're a bead group (not other crafts, except periferally) but since
many people here sell their products, there's a lot of good marketing
information here. Kandice is especially good for marketing
information.

Thanks for your response.

Tina

Old February 15th 04, 08:32 PM
Maelstrom

It's a shame you've driven her off. She would have been a great
contributor. The point of a worldwide community like Usenet is FREEDOM!
We have enough rules and laws in everyday life. There are other Usenet
forums where she was accepted warmly. Keep your elitist beading cult
here to yourselves.

Maelstrom

In article ,
says...

Old February 15th 04, 08:36 PM
Elaine

Yes, isn't it great?
Lazulite looks lovely, I'll need to track down a nice affordable piece for
my collection :-)

"Mj" wrote in news:A9idnbxrLpU3b7PdRVn-
:

Old February 15th 04, 10:01 PM
Debbie B

" I didn't see any of the
"Very co-operative, eager to help" you described. I am saddened that
beaders would stoop to such terrorism."

Thank you all for your patience and your helpfulness and support. I lurked
and was a little afraid, however, I jumped in a little at a time. I enjoy
the different personalities and opinions. I have learned quite a bit and
have changed my views accordingly.

Bottom line: I think you guys are great, warts and all.

Hugs to all
--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short

---

Old February 15th 04, 10:09 PM
lgreene

You don't seem to understand that she spammed a newsgroup...under your
tutelage. If you are so experienced in ng's then you should have educated
her in what is appropriate and what is not.

It is unfortunate to think that she might have been a great contributor, but
she set off on the wrong foot, and when it was pointed out, the pouting
started.

No one is perfect, but she straight away blamed the lack of a manual for how
to use newsgroups, rather than admitting that she should have lurked...even
for one day...to see how newsgroups operate.

Nowhere has she been flamed on the group. I went back and read every
message in the thread. Nope, not even a spark, never mind a flame.

She was educated in what is appropriate ng behavior, and chose to pout and
blame.

Old February 15th 04, 10:19 PM
Christina Peterson

Please don't be unreasonably and needlessly insulting. Or stick to your own
group.

The only reason I had previously cross posted, was to invite others in your
group to come over here and check out some of the marketing information
available.

Tina

Old February 15th 04, 10:33 PM
Christina Peterson

Maelstrom, You are so far wrong, and so far out of line, that the last time
I've heard such insulting nonsense was when a trolling group came and
attacked here.

The truth is, Kathy is remarkably well informed. She is being truthful and
non-personal. Pragmatic, honest, no hidden agenda.

People here are trying to be supportive of Elaine. Why are you encouraging
her to feel mistreated. You are doing her a misservice.

Tina

"Maelstrom" wrote in message
Kathy, you are so full of yourself it's not even funny. You are a bloody
Usenet terrorist, spreading all sorts of lies. Why don't get a life and
stop flaming like a lamer, eh? Leave innocent newbies alone. Elaine had
not "lurked" on Usenet before, I introduced her to them as a way to help
sell her beadwork that she just started on. I'm a usenet veteran and I
have never seen anyone post such rude BS. I think you're the one who
ruined your rep, if you ever had one. I'm sure lots of people think
you're a real witch (being mild) after that last post.

Maelstrom

In article news.com,
says...
Do yourself a favor - you've totally wrecked your credibility here with

your
advertising and petulant complaining. Get yourself a new Hotmail

account,
learn the proper way to promote your online business, and start again.

Old February 15th 04, 10:45 PM
Christina Peterson

I love the things you have to say about education and share many of your
interests. Plants, herbs, animals, ecology. I am a conservationist and
traditionalist, and a hunter and gatherer. I am fascinated by ethnobotany!
and in anthropology in general. I was always good at math, but computers
drive me crazy. I love physics, but don't care for chemistry, and have had
the privelege of knowing some amazing people in space exploration, and
mechanical innovation. I'm not much onto astrology or mythology, but am
into Shamanism, journeying, Reiki, "energy manipulation". I do a little in
martial arts, the soft arts like Tai Chi, Aikido, Qi Gung. I love to
travel and my granddaughter was born in Ukaraine (as was her mother).

I have rocks too. I have a small mammoth tooth and mastadon tooth, which
had been found during mining operations here in Alaska. There's a woman
down by Anchorage who I get most of my most interesting rocks from. And a
man in Anchoage with a mine in the Brooks Range who I got some wonderful
minerals, and stones from. And everywhere I go I get more rocks/stones
crystals.

Another major interest for me is mental health, especially since I have
become disabled by the brain exhaustion of Depression. Fortunately, through
therapy I have worked my way through the melancholy part of Depression.
Part of my Depression was long standing Co-Dependence

But I want to address the first half of your post, too. This is the second
time you have used a post of mine, which had been intended as friendly, as a
jumping off point for being angry. I'm aware that the anger in it isn't
addressed to me. Because I work at not taking things personally.

In my earlier post, I just didn't want you to to be posting something
incorrect. And just as honestly, I know stones quite well, though not as
well as you obviously, and if it appears to me that something is off about
the stone or its name, it probably will appear that way to many others. And
so you should learn from this that more description is needed that just to
call something "genuine", including when it is. That's part of marketting.
That's the kind of thing you can benefit from learning so you can sell more.
All of us can. That's not a put down, just a marketting tip.

So tell me, what does this post here mean? I know you apologized. There's
no problem or rejection of your apology, or need to keep apologizing again.
Relax.

When I posted my last post after you said you had been treated harshly, I
looked up all the posts to you, and found no harsh treatment. Since you,
and maelstrom, came back with anger, I'm am finding that you are getting
some unvarnished truth and impatience that you must find uncomfortable.

Who has flamed you and how? Why do you feel insulted? Why do you feel
criticized instead of helped? Why don't you see any co-operative and eager
to help, when that was exactly what I was doing?

And, terrorism? I would think that Americans would have a better
understanding of what terrorism is now. And honey, this ain't it. Shirley
did tell you what "terrorism" has resulted from spamming (unauthorized
advertising) as a lesson about why it's important not to do it even
inadvertantly. In other places, I have been flamed. I have been
threatened. Just for disagreeing with someone, or making a claim that
wasn't believed. You are not being treated roughly, and especially noone is
intentionally hurting you.

Elaine,you haven't been insulted. If you are so sensitive that being
corrected and educated feels like an insult to you, you got some major
issues to work out. And if you think that's an insult, well, we all have
issues to work with. You can run around throwing away your energy on
defensiveness. It's just a poor choice. It's also a pain in the ass, but
if you want the right to be sensitive, emotional, intense and to take
everything personally, you have to give everyone the right to do so too
(that's the pain in the ass part). Then you would really be finding you had
started a major flame war.

Kathy's post was not a threat. Kathy was not resentful -- she's pretty
pragmatic and was telling you facts, telling you the definition of spamming,
and the dangers, the possible violent results that can come of it, not
"directing emotion" at you. Her advise is generally very valued here in
this group because of the accuracy of her information. She has helped many
people get through red tape to get to the heart of a solution when people
get the run around. She is an accurate and honest person. But she is also
pragnatic and does not direct things in a pesonal manner.

About lurking. Yeah, that's a ticklish one. In daily conversation
"lurking" is something bad. And in some groups "lurkers" are those people
who sit at the edges and lurk and never seem to say anything unless it's a
disagreement. It's used here in the same way you'd hear it in 12 Step
programs. -- Come to meetings, but listen before you talk, so you'll know
more about how things work.

Anyway, girl, come join the party here. Or e-mail me any time.

Tina

. 3.2...

Old February 15th 04, 10:49 PM
Elaine

Personally I think he's being very supportive of me and helping me deal
with the harshness I was dealt. The fact that Kathy and others on there
were so harsh isn't his doing or mine. I wanted to share my love of beads
and showcase my work, but I was insulted and more. That's fine though,
there are other groups like this one that welcome me. I'm not mad or sad,
just disappointed.

Maelstrom, You are so far wrong, and so far out of line, that the last
time I've heard such insulting nonsense was when a trolling group came
and attacked here.

The truth is, Kathy is remarkably well informed. She is being
truthful and non-personal. Pragmatic, honest, no hidden agenda.

People here are trying to be supportive of Elaine. Why are you
encouraging her to feel mistreated. You are doing her a misservice.

Tina

Manufacturer of Beaded Imitation Jewelry, ready to provide products at your home. For SLP Beads 5 November 2nd 04 03:39 PM
AD: Ongoing classes Jewelry and Metalsmithing - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Jewelry 0 February 27th 04 04:25 AM
Beaded Jewelry Up On eBay Elaine Marketplace 0 February 10th 04 11:31 PM
Beaded Jewelry Up On eBay Elaine Beads 0 February 10th 04 04:42 AM
Custom Beaded Jewelry at Affordable Prices Melissa Beads 0 January 7th 04 04:53 PM