How to tell authentic vs fake native/inuit carvings?

Old February 27th 04, 07:31 AM
Pepmax

Chris wrote in message ...
If I were you I would stick to the reputable galleries to start, and build
up some research experience, and perhaps some travel time in the North.

Thanks for the discussion so far everyone. Now, I do live in Canada so
going up north isn't out of the question. If I wanted to go up and buy
directly from the Inuit carvers themselves for my own collection and even to
sell to others, where up north would be the best locations? Also, how would
I contact potential carvers who would be willing to sell directly to me?

Old February 27th 04, 12:46 PM
George

What he said.

Art in the eye of the possessor, price only in the eye of the coveter.

"Andrew Werby" wrote in message
If you think of these purchases as an investment, in which case

authenticity
is the key to their value; then don't get them at a flea market. There's
really no way to tell by looking at a stone carving what sort of person

made
it, if it's reasonably well-made.

Basswood carving bubba Carving 1 October 6th 03 04:35 PM
Need good source for carving gloves Bill Houdek Carving 3 September 4th 03 04:21 PM
carving Joe Kennedy Carving 2 August 5th 03 06:33 PM