Query for USA folk

Old September 11th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

Default Query for USA folk

Mary Fisher wrote:
"YarnWright" wrote in message
Mary Fisher spun a FINE 'yarn':

+
+"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
++Can you identify this, please?
++
++http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eaqis8&s=4
++
++Mary
+Forgot to say, it's just over 8" long, 1" wide and 1/2" thick.
+
+TIA
+Mary

Mary Fisher. . .

Until you added this dimensions I would've said it looked like a tatting
shuttle......
N.

Yebbut there's nothing - no spool - on which to wind the yarn.

The person who's asked about it has now said that it was bought at a yard
sale and they were told it was a shuttle - they didn't know!

Oh, it might be a weaving shuttle then, but usually the ends are notched
to keep the yarn from slipping off.

sue
Old September 11th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"suzee" wrote in message

The person who's asked about it has now said that it was bought at a yard
sale and they were told it was a shuttle - they didn't know!

Oh, it might be a weaving shuttle then, but usually the ends are notched
to keep the yarn from slipping off.

How would the yarn be held on it?

Mary

Old September 11th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee[_2_]

Mary Fisher wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message

The person who's asked about it has now said that it was bought at a yard
sale and they were told it was a shuttle - they didn't know!

Oh, it might be a weaving shuttle then, but usually the ends are notched
to keep the yarn from slipping off.

How would the yarn be held on it?

Mary

You wrap it lengthwise. Here are some examples...
These are stick shuttles -
http://www.harrisville.com/proddetail.php?prod=A355
... a boat shuttle - http://www.harrisville.com/proddetail.php?prod=A353
... a ski shuttle - http://www.harrisville.com/proddetail.php?prod=A381
... for thicker yarns/rags -
http://www.harrisville.com/proddetail.php?prod=A355

It may be part of it is missing, too.

sue
Old September 11th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"suzee" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message

The person who's asked about it has now said that it was bought at a
yard sale and they were told it was a shuttle - they didn't know!
Oh, it might be a weaving shuttle then, but usually the ends are notched
to keep the yarn from slipping off.

How would the yarn be held on it?

Mary

You wrap it lengthwise. Here are some examples...

LOL! I know about shuttles - we make several types (and use them) - that's
why we don't think it is a shuttle of eny kind. Yarn wouldn't stay on it

It may be part of it is missing, too.

There's no sign of anything missing.

Mary

Old September 12th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

"suzee" wrote in message

The person who's asked about it has now said that it was bought at a
yard sale and they were told it was a shuttle - they didn't know!

Oh, it might be a weaving shuttle then, but usually the ends are notched
to keep the yarn from slipping off.

How would the yarn be held on it?

If the yarn is wound onto it in a figure of 8 pattern, it would stay on.
I've used a ruler as a shuttle doing the same thing. It worked fine - the
most difficult thing is holding the thread when you first start to wind the
8. the 'thing' you have would work easier wound with yarn in a figure of 8
pattern because it has the fat belly where the centre of the 8 goes.

Old September 12th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"suzee" wrote in message

The person who's asked about it has now said that it was bought at a
yard sale and they were told it was a shuttle - they didn't know!

Oh, it might be a weaving shuttle then, but usually the ends are notched
to keep the yarn from slipping off.

How would the yarn be held on it?

If the yarn is wound onto it in a figure of 8 pattern, it would stay on.
I've used a ruler as a shuttle doing the same thing.

I think that would be a make-do - the ruler wasn't intended as a shuttle. If
you sold the ruler you'd used like that would you call it a shuttle?

Mary

Old September 13th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

"suzee" wrote in message

The person who's asked about it has now said that it was bought at a
yard sale and they were told it was a shuttle - they didn't know!

Oh, it might be a weaving shuttle then, but usually the ends are
notched to keep the yarn from slipping off.

How would the yarn be held on it?

If the yarn is wound onto it in a figure of 8 pattern, it would stay on.
I've used a ruler as a shuttle doing the same thing.

I think that would be a make-do - the ruler wasn't intended as a shuttle.
If you sold the ruler you'd used like that would you call it a shuttle?

No I wouldn't. But I know it's a ruler and I also know that it isn't shaped
in such a way that indicates it is designed to do the job. It was a stopgap
measure.

However, as I pointed out in my last post, the 'thing' you have is shaped in
such a way that it would actually work in a way that is more difficult for a
ruler to do.

If the ruler works, (and it did, and did so well except for the initial
winding on of yarn) and it's only really a straight stick, then think how
much better it would work if it was shaped like the 'thing' you have in your
possession.

Try winding some yarn on it and also on a ruler using the figure of 8 wind.
If you can't tell the difference between the two and how much better a fat
bellied 'thing' works, I'd be very surprised. It wouldn't hold a lot of
yarn but for a feature thread in a woven piece used as an ocassional repeat,
it would hold enough.

I couldn't see a burning need to own a lot of those things though, so now
I'm wondering how many they asked you to replicate and why. I would have
thought that owning one as a curiosity item in a collection of 'stuff' would
have been enough.

Old September 14th 08, 10:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

If the ruler works, (and it did, and did so well except for the initial
winding on of yarn) and it's only really a straight stick, then think how
much better it would work if it was shaped like the 'thing' you have in
your possession.

You haven't read all this thread, it's not in my possession, it was a query
from someone in USA - which is why I specified US responses, it might have
been something local.

Try winding some yarn on it

See above.

I couldn't see a burning need to own a lot of those things though, so now
I'm wondering how many they asked you to replicate and why. I would have
thought that owning one as a curiosity item in a collection of 'stuff'
would have been enough.

So would I. We were asked because we make (and use) shuttles of several
various types and in different materials - including bone - for museums,
films, collectors and re-enactors and have never seen anything like this
item. The person who asked only said it was a shuttle because she was told
that when she bought it from a yard sale - which is, of course, unreliable.

She didn't want a number of copies, just one, and I don't know why. She's
not a weaver but it's not my place to ask why another was required.

Mary

Old September 15th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
FarmI

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

If the ruler works, (and it did, and did so well except for the initial
winding on of yarn) and it's only really a straight stick, then think how
much better it would work if it was shaped like the 'thing' you have in
your possession.

You haven't read all this thread, it's not in my possession, it was a
query from someone in USA - which is why I specified US responses, it
might have been something local.

I have read all the thread. You never mentioned that it wasn't in your
possession. I did understand that the item had been found in the US.

I falsely assumed that since you had been asked to "replicate" it and
provided the dimentions of the item, that it must be in your possession.

Mea culpa. My craft interests resulted in me falsely assuming that
"replicate" meant just that, not a best guess reproduction.

Try winding some yarn on it

See above.

Once the repro is completed it might be worth giving my suggestion a try
just to satisfy your curiosity as to whether it would work as a shuttle. I
have ever confidence it will based on my ruler experience.

I couldn't see a burning need to own a lot of those things though, so now
I'm wondering how many they asked you to replicate and why. I would have
thought that owning one as a curiosity item in a collection of 'stuff'
would have been enough.

So would I. We were asked because we make (and use) shuttles of several
various types and in different materials - including bone - for museums,
films, collectors and re-enactors and have never seen anything like this
item.

Neither have I, but given my use of a ruler as an effective shuttle, I could
well believe that your client bone 'thing' could be indeed be a shuttle.
Mind you, it could also be a dibble, a spirtle or something else.

The person who asked only said it was a shuttle because she was told
that when she bought it from a yard sale - which is, of course,
unreliable.

Indeed. See above.

She didn't want a number of copies, just one, and I don't know why. She's
not a weaver but it's not my place to ask why another was required.

Indeed. So long as the client is willing to pay for it who cares what it's
used for.

Folk Vests [email protected] Yarn 1 January 15th 05 01:01 AM
Folk Vests, Folk Shawls BDS2pds Yarn 18 January 3rd 05 08:17 PM
Folk socks!! spampot Yarn 16 December 31st 04 04:45 AM
Folk Shawls/Folk Vests BDS2pds Yarn 7 October 27th 04 11:09 PM
Folk Bags Cher Yarn 3 December 19th 03 06:11 PM