Old Handprint in Cement

Old November 2nd 04, 06:15 AM
Marcy

Default Old Handprint in Cement

Hello. I am a new poster to this board.

When I was very small, my mom pressed my hand into some cement that
was poured in our driveway. It has been some 30 years since (it's so
cute!). Anyway, I would like to pour plaster or something into the
handprint, allow it to dry, and voila, my little hand will be
portable. I assume I need to line the print with something so the
plaster will pop out. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this? Many
thanks for suggestions.

Marcy
Old November 3rd 04, 09:06 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Marcy

I make casts of several things!

What works the best for me is using a polyester resin to get the image
and then using that as the mold to make plaster castings. Polyester
resin remains somewhat flexible allowing you to remove it from
undercuts and then it hardens to rigid.

On things we need to maintain the undercuts and still get the mold
off, we use vinyl or rubber to make the initial mold.

If you don't have a good mold release formula at your fingertips,
silicone spray, vaseline or soft wax can be substituted.

TTUL
Gary

Old November 14th 04, 12:07 AM
Marcy

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. It has been rainy so I
haven't had a chance to try it yet.