Binding Off Sweater Neck

Old February 20th 05, 03:55 PM
CreativeCouple

Default Binding Off Sweater Neck

Knitting a sweater. The neck is a K1P1. I'm binding off in pattern.
The neck fits, but the binding does not stretch to go over the head.

How do I make the binding stretch with the rest of teh neck?/

Any advice?

Old February 20th 05, 04:13 PM
Brian D

Hi the

Usually the patterns suggest to cast off in a larger needle. I always use
one size bigger but sometimes depending on how tight your knitting is you
may have to use larger.

HTH
Donna from Ontario, Canada

oups.com...

Old February 20th 05, 04:26 PM
arlene

CreativeCouple wrote:
Knitting a sweater. The neck is a K1P1. I'm binding off in pattern.
The neck fits, but the binding does not stretch to go over the head.

How do I make the binding stretch with the rest of teh neck?/

Any advice?

You have to bind off very loosely; or use a much larger needle to do this.

Arlene

Old February 20th 05, 06:46 PM
Wooly

You can use an idiot cord bindoff which puts a nice edge on the
neckband and adds the stretch you need. Or do (k1, p1, m1) around and
then do the bindoff; problem with this is it gives the neck edge a
wavy appearance.

Or, use needles a few sizes bigger than the working needles, as has
been suggested by others already

On 20 Feb 2005 07:55:00 -0800, "CreativeCouple"
spewed forth :

Old February 20th 05, 07:29 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Wooly
wrote:

You can use an idiot cord bindoff which puts a nice edge on the
neckband and adds the stretch you need. Or do (k1, p1, m1) around and
then do the bindoff; problem with this is it gives the neck edge a
wavy appearance.

Or, use needles a few sizes bigger than the working needles, as has
been suggested by others already

Wooly sorry, what is an idiot cord bindoff...??? I am in the middle of
finishing off Aysia"s dress. Indeed the neck line is the most difficult
to get right. You want it to lay flat, and fit neatly.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old February 20th 05, 07:49 PM
Karen in MN

"CreativeCouple" wrote in message
oups.com...
Knitting a sweater. The neck is a K1P1. I'm binding off in pattern.
The neck fits, but the binding does not stretch to go over the head.

How do I make the binding stretch with the rest of teh neck?/

Any advice?

Heh heh -- I'm smiling here because I'm recalling my very first knitted
garmet from a couple years ago where the bindoff at the neck was so tight,
it wouldn't go over my head -- and when I *insisted* it would, and kept
pulling, it got literally stuck on my face between the nose and forehead
bones, and I couldn't even cut it off because the bindoff ended up right
across my eyes, which felt like they were being pushed to the back of my
skull, so I couldn't see. And the question you are asking now was my first
question on RCTY.

So now I bind off with a needle two sizes larger -- and I have had no more
sweaters stuck on my face since doing that.

Karen in MN

Old February 20th 05, 08:14 PM
Donna Baliva

How in the world did you finally get it off?
Donna in Montezuma
reenews.net...

Old February 20th 05, 08:38 PM
Wooly

Merely applied idiot cord on the last round of live stitches, instead
of a typical knit 2, pass one over, knit one, pass one over bind-off.
At the end of the last round, use a backward loop cast on to make 3
additional stitches, pass them back to the left-hand needle. Knit
two, k2tog, pass two back to the left, k2, k2tog, pass 2 back, ad naus
until you reach the end. If the beginning of the round happens to be
smack in front or on one side, move it to the back so that the join
might hide under hair or at least be somewhat less obvious for being
in the back.

This bindoff method has a propensity to curl outwards when done on
plain stockinette but should behave when done on ribbing.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:29:14 -0800, (Els
van Dam) spewed forth :

Old February 20th 05, 09:25 PM
Wooly

Sorry, pass THREE back to the left wherever it says to pass two back.
Old February 20th 05, 10:16 PM
Tante Jan

Thanks for the wonderful chuckle, Karen.

--
Jan in MN

[...]

Border and binding help - How do you do them? Charlotte Hippen Quilting 47 March 3rd 07 05:15 AM
Stuffing the binding & Simon Leslie in Missouri Quilting 21 May 11th 04 03:52 PM
Aran sweater pix Slinky Yarn 36 February 3rd 04 07:28 AM
Raglan from the neck down... Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 5 November 14th 03 12:58 PM
Alice Starmore -- necks on fishermen sweaters H Schinske Yarn 7 August 23rd 03 07:21 PM