Sashing Width

Old March 28th 04, 12:05 PM
Beverly K. Pope

Default Sashing Width

I've looked at pictures in several quilting books, and the blocks seem
to lose focus on quilts that have very wide sashing. Is there an
aesthetically pleasing proportion of sashing width to block width?
Specifically, I am wondering whether a 2" sashing would be pleasing
for a 6" block.

Thanks,
Bev in Texas : up2her at direcway dot com
Old March 28th 04, 01:19 PM
Louise

Bev,

I'm working on a top now where I'm using 2" sashing with 6" blocks, and it's
looking fine.

I seem to remember reading once that if the block size is evenly divisible
by the width of the sashing, it's more pleasing to look at. For instance, if
you have a 12" block, the sashing could be 2", 3", or 4". For a 10" block,
it should be 2" or 5". On the other hand, there are no quilt police, and
whatever looks good to you is all that really matters.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

om...

Old March 28th 04, 01:52 PM
Julia Altshuler

Beverly K. Pope wrote:
I've looked at pictures in several quilting books, and the blocks seem
to lose focus on quilts that have very wide sashing. Is there an
aesthetically pleasing proportion of sashing width to block width?
Specifically, I am wondering whether a 2" sashing would be pleasing
for a 6" block.

There are a lot of variables for this one that have to do with the size
of the pieces within the block (4-patch, 9-patch) and the colors of
sashing and blocks. Luckily, this one is easy to visualize.

Take your proposed sashing fabric and pin it to the design wall (or
spread it out on floor or bed). Don't cut it yet. Pin your blocks to
it 2" apart. Step back and have a look. Now move them closer and
farther apart. Do the same with another possible sashing fabric.
You'll find that some sashings overwhelm the blocks, others don't show
up at all, and some are just right.

(For me, for relatively small blocks like 6", I like an alternate plain
block instead of sashing. That gives me space to quilt in. Give this
possibility a look on the design wall too.)

--Lia

Old March 28th 04, 06:25 PM
Dr. Quilter

so you think you'd be able to tell if instead of 2" the sashing is 2"
1/4 or 2" 1/3? I never worried about that... usually just tear off a
strip that looks right!

Louise wrote:

Bev,

I'm working on a top now where I'm using 2" sashing with 6" blocks, and it's
looking fine.

I seem to remember reading once that if the block size is evenly divisible
by the width of the sashing, it's more pleasing to look at. For instance, if
you have a 12" block, the sashing could be 2", 3", or 4". For a 10" block,
it should be 2" or 5". On the other hand, there are no quilt police, and
whatever looks good to you is all that really matters.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old March 28th 04, 08:29 PM
Louise

Nope -- that's why I said whatever looks right to you is what matters! Do
you really tear your strips?
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old March 28th 04, 11:53 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
It all depends on your eye, the perception you get from
trying out the different widths. Experiment.
Depends on the blocks, the sashing fabric,
and whatever things depend on. g
Some quilters like to have rules about things like this, others
of us just like to play w/ our fabric and experiment to see
what we think works best. ;-)
Here's a quilt I made w/ the sashing the same width as the
blocks; I really love the red fabric; the blocks stand out due
to the contrast w/ the dark sashing fabric:
Red Quilt:
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/elt...bum?.dir=/f163
As Louise says, "whatever looks good to you is all that really matters."

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old March 29th 04, 02:03 PM
Lizzy Taylor

Beverly K. Pope wrote:
I've looked at pictures in several quilting books, and the blocks seem
to lose focus on quilts that have very wide sashing. Is there an
aesthetically pleasing proportion of sashing width to block width?
Specifically, I am wondering whether a 2" sashing would be pleasing
for a 6" block.

I used 2" sashing for 6" blocks on Karlee & Mike's Wedding Hug

http://www.thetaylorfamily.org.uk/hugs.html

Karlee & I both think it looks fine :-)

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old March 29th 04, 07:26 PM
Dr. Quilter

they say tearing is better because they will definitely be on grain.. I
don't do it for every quilt, but when I do then I go back with the
rotary cutter and remove those frayed and distorted edges... that way I
have the best chance of having the quilt be truly rectangular or
whatever shape it will be!