VOT sVent about vets.. help??

Old January 1st 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Default OT Surgical Glue VOT sVent about vets.. help??

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
m...
"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:35:24 -0800, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply opined:

Gill Murray wrote:

I think we could remove the stitches, IF we knew what goop (glue-like)
they put on them in the first place. Does anyone have help here??

Medical personnel are increasingly using SuperGlue (methyl methacrylate)
to close minor wounds, and vets use it to close spay incisions, so maybe
that's it.

If it is, it will peel away rather like sunburnt skin.

What vets use is a surgical glue - but that is used inside the incision to
help hold it together a bit more than normal incision for less scarring
when healing. Surgical glue is absorbed by the body during healing, as
are 'silk' sutures.

Here, when male cats are neutered (and probably dogs, or at least the
smaller ones), no sutures are used at all, only the surgical glue.

Sounds like what your vet used outside the incision was a 'surgical skin'
(marketed to the general public by Band-Aid as Liquid Bandage
http://www.jnj.com/innovations/new_f...id_Bandage.htm)
to help keep the incision area clean (therefore less risk of infection).
This is probably peelable, as one poster suggested, but I would do a
search on it before attempting it. Or just wait a few more days, as there
is usually no harm to the patient in sutures stay in a few more days
longer.

The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Your description of the surgical glue sounds exactly like what the vet used
on Puff when he was neutered. He was just 4 months old and weighed about 4
lbs. so his incision was approximately 1/2 inch. I did nothing and it just
healed on it's own with no scar.

I have major problems with very thin and fragile skin on my arms and can't
use regular bandages at all. When nothing else worked to stop something
from bleeding, I used Liquid Bandage. I found that it just kind of wore
off after a length of time. The last dregs of it did peel off like an
onion, but I wouldn't advise pulling it off because it does adhere to the
skin very tightly.

Lucille

Lucille

Old January 2nd 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default VOT sVent about vets.. help??

Gill Murray wrote:
Great info......how do you soften it to remove the stitches???

It falls off as the skin cells shed.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old January 2nd 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Gill Murray wrote:

OK, thanks for the info. I can see about 4 real stitches, and he had a
lot of bright yellow stuff on him when we picked him up. There is only a
little of that left, but the area does feel really "hard".

I have no idea if this is it or not, but I had internal absorbable
sutures after my Cesarean sections, and I could feel them under the skin
for months, but they eventually absorbed.

Old January 2nd 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Gill Murray wrote:

Great info......how do you soften it to remove the stitches???

It falls off as the skin cells shed.

Well, we took Max, and got the stitches out. Jim says if I had let him,
he would have done it the same way. They were so embarassed; apparently
at noon Sat the vet decided he wouldn't open on Monday. The receptionist
said that someone was coming in to have stitches out, but couldn't
remember the name ( she is new).

Anyway, Max is fine, and I still think we will change to a nearby vet!

Gill