fuzziness

Old February 7th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Default fuzziness

Hi all,
Don't mean to monopolize everything, but have one more quick question
for now--What exactly makes some yarns end up looking fuzzy when the
job is completed? Not with pills, just all fuzzy. What kinds of yarn
do NOT create this effect? I plan to shave off the pills with a razor
blade or rotating blade I have for sweaters, but I'd rather not have
to deal with them again. Thanks.

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in CT
Old February 8th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Feb 8, 1:26*am, myswendy wrote:
Hi all,
Don't mean to monopolize everything, but have one more quick question
for now--What exactly makes some yarns end up looking fuzzy when the
job is completed? Not with pills, just all fuzzy. What kinds of yarn
do NOT create this effect? I plan to shave off the pills with a razor
blade or rotating blade I have for sweaters, but I'd rather not have
to deal with them again. Thanks.

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in CT

Shave off ,, NEVER ,, take a turned Masking tape and slowly go very
close to the knitted piece , it will collect the things you don``t
like which aren`t attached wel to the knitting , but it won`t harm the
knitting !!! mirjam
Old February 8th 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Feb 7, 6:26*pm, myswendy wrote:
Hi all,
Don't mean to monopolize everything, but have one more quick question
for now--What exactly makes some yarns end up looking fuzzy when the
job is completed? Not with pills, just all fuzzy. What kinds of yarn
do NOT create this effect? I plan to shave off the pills with a razor
blade or rotating blade I have for sweaters, but I'd rather not have
to deal with them again. Thanks.

I have this little pibk, battery-operated razor that is made
specifically for that. It is tedious, but it works.

Higs,
Katherine
Old February 8th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

myswendy wrote in

oups.com:

Hi all,
Don't mean to monopolize everything, but have one more
quick question for now--What exactly makes some yarns end
up looking fuzzy when the job is completed? Not with pills,
just all fuzzy. What kinds of yarn do NOT create this
effect? I plan to shave off the pills with a razor blade or
rotating blade I have for sweaters, but I'd rather not have
to deal with them again. Thanks.

what yarns do you use? fuzz can have a few different causes.
anything with mohair in any percentage will "halo" (get a
fuzzy look). alpaca tends to halo as well.
any loosely spun yarn is prone to fuzzing. poor quality yarns
use mixed staple fibers & will fuzz, shed & pill.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old February 9th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Well, let me put it this way...what are the best yarns to use that
will not make that fuzzy effect? I'm talking about "regular" yarns,
not ones that are supposed to be lovely and fuzzy like mohair.

And thank you mirjam--I will use the masking tape instead. My rotating
shaver just "died" completely anyway! LOL!

Wendy
Old February 10th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
myswendy wrote:
Well, let me put it this way...what are the best yarns to use that
will not make that fuzzy effect? I'm talking about "regular" yarns,
not ones that are supposed to be lovely and fuzzy like mohair.

Firmly spun yarns with a lot of twists per inch? Pure long-staple
fibers (such as pure merino) instead of anonymous wools ought to work,
especially if they are recommended for knitting guernseys or other
texture patterns and people say they have good stitch definition.

=Tamar
Old February 11th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Feb 10, 4:26*am, (Richard Eney) wrote:
In article ,

myswendy wrote:
Well, let me put it this way...what are the best yarns to use that
will not make that fuzzy effect? I'm talking about "regular" yarns,
not ones that are supposed to be lovely and fuzzy like mohair.

Firmly spun yarns with a lot of twists per inch? *Pure long-staple
fibers (such as pure merino) instead of anonymous wools ought to work,
especially if they are recommended for knitting guernseys or other
texture patterns and people say they have good stitch definition.

=Tamar

Great, thanks! Will look for them.