OT A bit chilly...

Old February 15th 15, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT A bit chilly...

Well we have broken out the quilts, afghans, sweaters and anything else
that might keep us warm!

At 10:20 of a Sunday morning it is -9 degrees F, with a -21 F windchill.
That is approximately -23 C with a -29 C windchill for all you metric
folks.

Our insulation is for crap too.
The cats are waffle ironing themselves on the furnace grates.
The only truly warm place in the house is my little greenhouse, a six
foot tall rolling shelf array with a plastic coat where I have set a
little space heater on the bottom shelf to make it warm enough inside to
sprout peppers. I watered them this morning and just wanted to crawl in
there with them.
All the taps are dripping, where we do not have door snakes we have
stuffed towels and tablecloths and what have you up against the bottom.
The windows are plasticed over, but we are considering papering them over
as well.
Outside we already made sure the roses were well covered with snow. That
should at least make sure the windchill doesn't do them in. If they do
take a lot of damage, well they are own root and should come back from
this in a couple of years.

I hope you folks further north of us are doing what you can to stay warm!

NightMist
Old February 16th 15, 09:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

Wow! This sounds extreme.
I wonder how my friends in Ontario, Canada are doing? I must check on them.

I hope it is just a short Arctic burst, NM. There is still quite a bit
of February left - I remember how horrible February and even March can
be (when I lived in Canada). I remember one year setting off from my
Canadian town in March, with a foot of snow on the ground at the train
station, then seeing complete changes of climate as the train went south
to Mexico!

Take care, especially as you haven't been so well lately.

Pat on the green
..

Old February 16th 15, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Goodness, keep warm. Dare I say, here it is like the month of April
outside, sun is out and the birds are nesting and singing. Enjoying
while it lasts, anything to make a shorter winter

Janner
France

.

Old February 16th 15, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

We have been watching on the news. What awful weather. Here it
is in low 70's and was over 80 at my dad's house in Orange County
yesterday. Fruit trees are starting to bloom and it is way too early.
Hope things warm up soon for you all!
Taria

"NightMist" wrote in message ...

[...]

---

Old February 16th 15, 11:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Goodness, Hope you are staying warm! Hi Taria, are by any chance in Orange
County FL?
Barbara in Lake County

Old February 18th 15, 07:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

I can even imagine temps that cold.
We would have been lucky to have had one day of 35 C for the summer.

Dee in Oz
Old February 21st 15, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I always forget there is an OC in FL. Nope, here in So. California. I
grew up there
and most of my family is still there. I am up in the high desert, the
potty stop
between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. Taria

Old February 21st 15, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Oh well. I forget about OC in So, Calif! A long time ago I was in your
neighborhood when we drove from LV & LA on our way from the Atlantic to see
the P Ocean.
It was in June, more than 30 yr ago! Nice drive!
Barbara in FL

Old February 22nd 15, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

The night after I originally posted, the temperature without windchill
got down to -25F.
Thankfully it has not gotten that cold again!
We have had sub-zero double digits, but only low double digits.
We've gotten some snow, but not off the lakes so it hasn't been dire. We
have 5-10 inches in the current forecast, and that is not at all unusual
for here.

I was right! I just have a cold. A miserable snot filled cold, but just
a cold. Of course the doctor is all "A-ha! we caught it right before it
turned into something awful!" Oy.
I never even opened the inhalers (TWO!) that she prescribed. "As needed"
is a pretty vague instruction. It seems awfully counterintuitive to be
using bronchodilators when you are full of flem too. You know, let's
open the air passages wide so you can inhale all the gunk more easily.
Seems an expectorant would be more sensible.

NightMist

Old February 22nd 15, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

So glad it was 'just' a cold.
You would think with all the amazing advances in medical science, that
they would have found a cure for the common cold by now! I expect the
doctor was nervous of it 'developing' so she was covering all the bases g.

Go on taking care though.

Pat on the green
..