scarves

Old October 10th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

Default scarves

my not-MIL asked me to knit her a scarf in pink, powder blue &
yellow. these are *so* not colors i enjoy, plus the yarn is
Baby Homespun &/or Patons Be Mine shudder. it's supposed to
be predominately blue with smallish stripes of pink & yellow.
so, i've started this scarf 9 times so far & i'm just hating
it. i can't do it in garter or stockinette. i'm going batty
from boredom.
are there any texture or lace patterns that also look good
with stripes that i can use, say, size 10 or larger (American)
needles so i can get this damned thing *out* of my 'to do'
basket? i'm forcing myself not to knit interesting stuff until
i finish this thing (or i won't. that's bad for relationsg).
would stockinette with short row loose points look ok? that
might be interesting to knit... blue background with flappy
points in pink & yellow...hmmmm
lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old October 10th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

enigma wrote:
[...]

You could try Feather and Fan or Old Shale, in fact, any lace or eyelet
pattern with about a four or six row repeat.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old October 10th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

you could make a Fair Isle pattern--but probably not with big needles.
I bet there are lots of lace patterns that would work. Have you got
something like Barbara Walker's Treasury of Stitch patterns that you could
look in?

Georgia

. ..

Old October 12th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:17:00 -0500, "Georgia"
I've found a very nice, easy, kind of lacy-look, reversible stitch for
scarves on the net. (It's also in Barbara Walker.) It's called
Turkish Stitch. I used size 8 needles with worsted weight yarn. With
the Homespun you might want to try 9 or 10.

Cast on an even number of stitches.

row 1 - knit across, purl last stitch
row 2 - slip 1, *yo, k2tog*, repeat from *, purl 1
repeat row 2 till the end, then one row 1, bind off.

There's a picture at this website, partway down the page:
http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/reversible.shtml

Alison
Old October 12th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia

Interesting! I've done Seafoam and Twin Rib, both of which would also be
suitable for the scarf the OP described,.

Georgia

Old October 12th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Georgia wrote:
Interesting! I've done Seafoam and Twin Rib, both of which would also be
suitable for the scarf the OP described,.

Twin Rib is a great pattern. There's another, called the Scrunchable
scarf, which is CO a multiple of 3; k2, p1 every row. Really easy and
has a wide rib pattern with garter.

sue
Old October 13th 06, 10:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Alison wrote:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:17:00 -0500, "Georgia"
I've found a very nice, easy, kind of lacy-look, reversible stitch for
scarves on the net. (It's also in Barbara Walker.) It's called
Turkish Stitch. I used size 8 needles with worsted weight yarn. With
the Homespun you might want to try 9 or 10.

Cast on an even number of stitches.

row 1 - knit across, purl last stitch
row 2 - slip 1, *yo, k2tog*, repeat from *, purl 1
repeat row 2 till the end, then one row 1, bind off.

There's a picture at this website, partway down the page:
http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/reversible.shtml

Alison

I like that and think it would be a good pattern for a lap coverG

thanks for sharing!

Donna