Dye disaster

Old January 23rd 05, 06:29 PM
SEBass

Are you using black to get the dusty shade? If so, I would check the black
dye. Not all fiber reactive black dyes are the same. Some are biased to
red, and some are green biased. It would seem that a small amount of
green-biased black with a small amount anything else would tend to be green.
Check with your dye source as to the shade of black that you have.

Suzanne
Houston, Texas
remove 55 to reply

"dogsnus" wrote in message
I've dyed this particular color twice now with these results:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...es/DyeMess.jpg
Now,I don't know about anyone else,but it looks puke green to me.
The color is is supposed to be?

Dusty Pink.That's right.PINK.

Okay,there's a scant,faded amount of vaguish looking sickly pink in there
somewhere,but what in the name of Carrie's Corset is causing it to look so
green not once,but twice? I've triple checked my amounts of water,
dye,soda ash and the water was the right temperature.

Any dye experts like to take a shot at this,before I shoot it and put
it out of it's misery?

Terri

--
The other night I was lying on my bed, looking up at the beautiful stars,

and
I said to myself, 'where the HECK is my ROOF? !!'

Old January 23rd 05, 06:36 PM
Karen Johnson

As a fellow dyer, can I ask what the fiber content of the fabric was?
Was it PFD? And what kind of dye you used? I've always used Procion
dyes and have never had a result like this (well, except when I start
testing the limits of the color wheel, and then anything can happen!)
On occasion, when I've used the premixed colors, some of the base
colors will pop out. (For instance, if I use Procion's dark maroon-y
"eggplant," I'll get interesting streaks of teal.)

And did the dye bath look pink before you put the fabric into it?

As a recent workshop instructor said in another context, "Hey, it's
art. You just never know what you're going to get, huh?"
Karen Johnson

Old January 23rd 05, 06:37 PM
merrystitch

Could it be chlorine in your water? Chlorine in community swimming pools
has been known to turn hair green

Merrystitch

Old January 23rd 05, 07:16 PM
DrQuilter

I think Karen is asking the really important question here. What colour
was the solution before you immersed the fabric???

Karen Johnson wrote:

As a fellow dyer, can I ask what the fiber content of the fabric was?
Was it PFD? And what kind of dye you used? I've always used Procion
dyes and have never had a result like this (well, except when I start
testing the limits of the color wheel, and then anything can happen!)
On occasion, when I've used the premixed colors, some of the base
colors will pop out. (For instance, if I use Procion's dark maroon-y
"eggplant," I'll get interesting streaks of teal.)

And did the dye bath look pink before you put the fabric into it?

As a recent workshop instructor said in another context, "Hey, it's
art. You just never know what you're going to get, huh?"
Karen Johnson

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old January 23rd 05, 09:31 PM
NightMist

On 23 Jan 2005 01:43:55 GMT, dogsnus wrote:

I've dyed this particular color twice now with these results:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...es/DyeMess.jpg
Now,I don't know about anyone else,but it looks puke green to me.
The color is is supposed to be?

Dusty Pink.That's right.PINK.

Any dye experts like to take a shot at this,before I shoot it and put
it out of it's misery?

Looks to me like all you are getting is the color they used to muddy
up the pink to get dusty pink.
I have had a similar problem with Deep Purple, and found I needed to
stir the very dickens out of it before the fabric was added and during
the dyeing process.

Other than that:
You could try cleaning the washing machine. Sometimes fabric softener
residues and suchlike can settle onto your fabric during the rinse
(post synthrapol) cycle and do wierd things when you dye it.
You could try useing distilled or filtered water. It could be
something in your tap water affecting the dye, or counteracting the
salt.
If you got your soda ash from pool supply, check the lable to make
sure that that is all it is. Some companies put in other stuff.
If you are useing procion you could try calling Dharma and see what
they suggest. Even if you didn't buy it there, they will help you
out.

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old January 23rd 05, 09:34 PM
\Pussywillow\ Volfie

"dogsnus" wrote
[..]
As a recent workshop instructor said in another context, "Hey, it's
art. You just never know what you're going to get, huh?"
Karen Johnson

You know? I may have to have this emblazoned in my shop for all
my future mist...er....works of art.

Terri

Oh, sureeeeeee, you think it's a mistake now but just wait until you try to
recreate it and all you get is dusty pink...

Giselle

Old January 23rd 05, 10:18 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I dunno. I'd think you either used green, or blue and yellow dye. None of
which make pink. Just a guess tho.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old January 24th 05, 01:07 PM
Karen Johnson

I only use Dharma's Procion dyes and plastic containers. I used
mercerized cotton and this is 100%,pure white of course.

Interestingly enough,I dyed two batches that day. The "alleged"

pink,and a
Wegewood blue.The blue turned out gorgeous,so I know it's not

anything in the
water.

Well, shoot ... I'm completely stumped. Really, it's enough to make me
want to buy 2 ounces of it and see what happens here! What's the
name/number of the dye you used? I know I can't really reproduce your
results -- my water will have a different composition, and it'll be a
different batch of dye -- but it'd sure be fun to try. I too use PFD
white mercerized cotton and plastic containers.

I buy all my Procion dyes from Dharma Trading Co.; any chance you got
yours there? You might email 'em and ask what the components of that
particular dye are, and how that color could have come out of that dye.

If it's any consolation, I once (accidentally) created the ugliest
color I'd ever seen -- it was sort of a dog-puke yellow with a lot of
brown in it (sorry to be crude, but that's the best description for
it!) I couldn't bring myself to throw it away because, hey, I'd made
it myself ... and wouldn't you know it, in the very next quilt top it
turned out to be the perfect accent color. In eensy-weensy 2" squares
(used extremely sparingly), it looked great.

So don't toss that green out yet .... you never know!
Karen Johnson

Old January 24th 05, 03:35 PM
Monique Reed

Terri wrote:

I've dyed this particular color twice now with these results:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~dogsn...es/DyeMess.jpg
Now,I don't know about anyone else,but it looks puke green to me.
The color is is supposed to be?

Dusty Pink.That's right.PINK.

Um, I tried making purple with natural dyes once and ended up with
sage green. Too much copper sulfate. Copper compounds are often
green or make the colors lean toward green in dyepots. Check your
fabric, washing soap, utensils, and dyepot for copper. Maybe there's
something there?

Monique in TX
Old January 24th 05, 05:02 PM
Marcella Peek

It's quite the mystery. My only suggestion would be to contact Dharma
and see if they can steer you towards a solution or maybe it was a bad
batch of dye?

marcella