Glazing pottery ladles and spoons

Old November 11th 04, 07:13 PM
JM

Default Glazing pottery ladles and spoons

Can anyone tell me if there is a technique to all-over glaze a pottery ladle
or spoon without it sticking to the kiln shelf. Are kiln stilts needed?
Yours quizzingly,
JM

Old November 11th 04, 09:24 PM
W_D_Great_Divider

Yes something like kiln stilts are needed and then you are going to have
holes unless the glaze is really thin where the pins hit.

Old November 12th 04, 02:27 AM
Slgraber

good question, i know about kiln stilts, but don't like the marks they leave.

i suspose - but never tried - you can fully glaze a spoon and nest it in a high
melt material powder? let it fire & portions will certainly stick, but when
done buff it on a machine?

just curious - the concept of a release agent formulated for high temperature
might work.

see ya

steve

Subject: Glazing pottery ladles and spoons

Old November 12th 04, 05:59 AM
Lcdumas

i suspose - but never tried - you can fully glaze a spoon and nest it in a
high
melt material powder? let it fire & portions will certainly stick, but when
done buff it on a machine?

What if you punch a hole in the end of the spoon and hang it from a bead wire?
Old November 15th 04, 10:19 AM
JM

Thanks for the input. My question arose out of curiosity when I recently
bought a new pottery book. It gives great ideas and techniques on throwing,
but doesn't have much information on the glazing and firing methods.

One of the items was a punch/soup turine with pottery ladle. The end
product looks amazing, but it didn't explain how the ladle was glaze fired
(it looks to be glazed all over) and I couldn't understand how this could be
done, other than by using kiln stilts.

regards
JM