OT Choosing a dog breed

Old October 20th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Choosing a dog breed

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 07:38:01 -0400, Tia Mary
wrote:

Belinda Alene wrote:
Georgia, not all counties in this state require rabies shots. There is movement
starting for free canine rabies shots. Right now I am trying to sort out how to
administer rabies shots to all mammal livestock as well as to the cats and dogs.
Many problems with rabies in the wild life population.

I was dumbfounded when we moved here to Hotlanta and took the dog &
cat "babies" to the Dr. for their yearly exams. The cats HAD to have a
rabies shot but not the dog! In Lizard Land (aka AZ) it's just the
opposite. When Suzi (the Runaway from Home, go Walkabout & get Lost)
dog went to the vet, she got her rabies shot as needed, required by law
or not. The kitties get theirs, too but since they are never outside
it's sort of silly AND costs $$$. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Yeah, but rabies is one of those things that rodents can carry.
So all it would take is an unfortunate mouse or bat getting in that is
a carrier, and one of the cats getting bitten when they catch it.

NightMist
--

Legolas is my house elf
Old October 20th 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 20, 10:36*am, (NightMist) wrote:

Yeah, but rabies is one of those things that rodents can carry.
So all it would take is an unfortunate mouse or bat getting in that is
a carrier, and one of the cats getting bitten when they catch it.

....or from the cat biting the rodent. ;-)
Old October 20th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I guess I'm a bit of a 'go overboard' type person but back in my Old
McDonald days we had our horses, goats and cattle all protected with rabies
shots as well as the dogs and (outdoor ) cats. The small cost of the shots
is nothing compared to losing a critter and/or possibly infecting another
critter or a person.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 20th 09, 07:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Oct 20, 11:07*am, "Leslie& The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
I guess I'm a bit of a 'go overboard' type person but back in my Old
McDonald days we had our horses, goats and cattle all protected with rabies
shots as well as the dogs and (outdoor ) cats. *The small cost of the shots
is nothing compared to losing a critter and/or possibly infecting another
critter or a person.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Dr. Zachary Smith" wrote in ...
On Oct 20, 10:36 am, (NightMist) wrote:

Yeah, but rabies is one of those things that rodents can carry.
So all it would take is an unfortunate mouse or bat getting in that is
a carrier, and one of the cats getting bitten when they catch it.

...or from the cat biting the rodent. *;-)

Granted, I haven't read this entire thread - just catching the last
couple of posts. But...just last fall I had to have our dogs re-
vaccinated as at leasat one of them got into a scuffle with a ferral
kitten. But the old guy on the nose pretty good. Kitty did not
survive that encounter. Spoke w/vet and even though everyone was
current on their shots, as the shot had been administered over a year
previous (3 yr. shot) it was recommended by both my vet and my sis,
who is a vet tech in another state, to have them re-done. Cheap at
the price in my book.

Kim in NJ
Old October 20th 09, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Was I the only person on earth who read "Cujo"? Bats, which are
wonderful animals and vital to all kinds of pollenization, can be born
rabid and the same is true of skunks and I think armadillos. When we
lived in Arizona and had little bats zooming through the air every
night, I just lived in horror of one falling to the ground sick and
one of my boys picking it up and I wouldn't even know. Yeah, I know,
paranoia makes for bad mothering. Anyway, rabies shots are cheap (you
can buy the stuff and inject it yourself for pennies per dose) and
really important. I think the non-vaccine for pets movement is a
stupid (yes, I said STUPID) offshoot of the move not to vaccinate
children. Polio was on the verge of extinction in this hemisphere.
Was. Measles was gone. Now it's back. Measles kills, and can leave
little children with brain injuries that last a lifetime.

Sorry, I'm having a bit of a morning and just can't handle that level
of ignorance. Counties that don't require rabies vaccines......have
the elected leaders of those counties also voted to jump right back
into Third World status or did they pick rabies as an easy place to
start?

Sunny
Old October 20th 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Belinda Alene

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:15:20 -0700 (PDT), Sunny wrote:

[...]

Honey it is not a jump back. It just has never been law here. Main agriculture
product is pine trees for paper and lumber. Not much concern by local
government over rabies. You know rabies never happen here. Yes, right. ;^{
Historically this county is made up of unwanted bits of surrounding counties.
Unwanted due to poor, steep soil and inhabited mostly by share croppers and
subsistence farmers.

Now we are the out skirts of metro Atlanta and will probably begin to see some
changes. I am a recent new resident to this county, only been here some 16
years. I have felt that most of the time we were stuck in the 1940's or 1950's.
Must give the county some credit for some good moves. This county is not in any
great debt. It is run pretty much on available tax money which is low due to
low population, much of which is retirement age. Our entire county population
is around some 12,000 folks. There are office buildings in Atlanta with more
employees.

Old October 21st 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 20, 5:40*pm, Belinda Alene
wrote:

*Not much concern by local
government over rabies. *

So what's the STATE legislature's excuse? (Rhetorical question)

New breed of sheep :-) Macaroni Yarn 6 April 12th 07 03:39 PM
choosing thread Mary Quilting 4 February 11th 06 06:06 PM
Best large breed with young children at home Frank ess Quilting 10 February 7th 05 01:37 AM
Need help choosing searobin Glass 0 April 10th 04 07:34 PM
hand finished designer dog breed figurines for sale - $25 off each bluewolf Marketplace 0 January 30th 04 08:48 PM