Adventures in machine quilting

Old October 19th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Edna Pearl

Default Adventures in machine quilting

I quilted a bunch of straight lines with a walking foot for the first time
today, and found it quite . . . erm . . . challenging. I am pretty sure
that the solution to most of my problems is practice, practice, practice,
but I thought I'd make a few notes here and see if anybody has any words of
wisdom.

1. Setting the machine's stitch length was a joke. The stitch length was
determined more by how much the quilt package was dragging for one reason or
another -- snagging on the bicycle clips as they traveled on, under, around
the machine, snagging on an accordian-fold in the package in my lap, etc.
This is related to . . .

2. I hate bicycle clips. They scrape across the finish of my SM cabinet
(admittedly a beat-up finish already, but still), they snag, they fall off
on the floor, etc. I'm getting better with this. Would it help to wrap the
clips with cheesecloth?

3. No. 1 is also probably related to the fact that my SM and/or walking
foot continually demanded changes in the upper thread tension. I was using
different color threads on top and bottom, and occasionally the machine
would apparently just change its mind about whether it would tighten bobbin
threads up to the top or top threads to the bottom. I truly could not make
heads or tails of what the thread tension would do next. The SM was well
cleaned and lubricated. It seemed as if the machine just got tired and
started tightening up one way or the other.

4. Puckers on the back. I think this was due purely to the fact that I did
a lousy job of spray-basting. The walking foot was feeding fine and doing
what it was supposed to do; I just had glued some puckers into the back. I
know what I'll do differently the next time I spray-baste.

That said, I got some good practice and the quilt looks pretty decent on
top, so far. After the thread yesterday when I asked about how far apart my
straight-line quilting should be, I decided that the narrow lines I wanted
would make the quilt narrower than I wanted. So I decided to go back to a
triple-figure eight, Amish quilting pattern that had attracted me earlier.
I'll quilt that tomorrow with my new, see-through darning foot. Based on
past experience with a mini-quilt, I think I may be better at quilting such
a pattern than I am at quilting a straight line! Meanders and stippling
never attracted me very much before, but I find I'm having good luck with it
on a practice scrap, so that may be in my future, too.

ep

Old October 19th 09, 02:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

I find that I can do king-sized quilts if I have tables on the side
and back of my sewing table, and if I fluff up most of the rest of the
quilt in my lap. Keep the quilt loose and piled up on the tables and
your lap, and always quilt with the smaller section of your quilt to
the right of the needle. I HATE clips, or anything that might catch
and cause the quilt to drag. If you try to wrap it, you just waste
time stopping to unwrap it. You have the most freedom to move the
quilt where you need it to go if it's just loose.

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:20:45 -0500, "Edna Pearl"
wrote:

2. I hate bicycle clips. They scrape across the finish of my SM cabinet
(admittedly a beat-up finish already, but still), they snag, they fall off
on the floor, etc. I'm getting better with this. Would it help to wrap the
clips with cheesecloth?

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle
Old October 19th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

wrote:
2. *I hate bicycle clips. *They scrape across the finish of my SM cabinet
(admittedly a beat-up finish already, but still), they snag, they fall off
on the floor, etc. *I'm getting better with this. *Would it help to wrap the
clips with cheesecloth?

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more -http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle

Hi EP, I'm fairly new also but have found that practice practice
practice is the still the best advice. On the few quilts I've gotten
done, I used spray basting on them all. The first one had some
puckers on the back too. On the second one, I spray basted AND used
safety pins (those ones for quilts that have a bend in them) every few
inches and that really helped to keep the puckers from forming. I got
it all sandwiched, sprayed, and pinned and then flipped it over on my
dining room table and hand smoothed the back fabric. I was amazed how
much extra fabric that "moved", so I just redid the pins as I smoothed
the wrinkles out to the edges. That quilt sewed up perfect with no
wrinkles on the back!

I'm wondering if the weight of your quilt is pulling the tension off
kilter if it's hanging down the front with no support. Also let the
feed dogs of the machine move the fabric and try not to push it
through with your hands. Some of the other folks here will have some
helpful ideas on that, that I'll be interested to see too. It sounds
like you are doing fine otherwise and I wish you all the best in your
quilting! Donna
Old October 19th 09, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

1 & 2. Do whatever you need to do to prevent that drag. Most find it best
to just bunch up the quilt so that you have an area to quilt that's entirely
free from any drag or tension on the quilt sandwich. Those durn clips- or
rolling or folding the quilt in any manner- just cause more grief. A big
loose messy bunch is much better. And lots of table area to rest it on is
the very best solution... as is the cabinet/tables up against a wall so the
quilt can't drape off of the back side and cause pulling and tension.

3. Something is wrong if your tension needs vary like that. It may be the
drag of the quilt or something else, but once you get the stitches balanced
with the tension settings you shouldn't have to change them again unless you
change threads, etc. Be sure the pressure of the foot on the quilt isn't
tightened down too tight. It should feed thru smoothly. And be sure your
walking foot is installed properly.

4. Basting is one of the most important things to successfully machine
quilt well. I have never used spray basting, but you must start with the
layers perfectly smooth or you can't possibly have a wrinkle free back.
Maybe it's your preparation??? With my pin basting I always either clamp
the backing to my cutting table top or masking tape it to the floor. The
back must be perfectly flat and smooth before you add the other layers
whether pinning or spraying. Then smooth, smooth, smooth as you baste.

Good luck!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 19th 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

I agree that the bicycle clips aren't necessary. I've used them, but
much prefer just bunching up the quilt -- no need to bother with taking
the time to roll it up. And make sure the quilt isn't dragging down in
any direction from the needle.

I generally don't have problems with puckers on the back with spray
basting, but I do check it pretty carefully. I haven't used basting
spray on any big, bed size quilts. Those I pin baste or use a basting
gun with plastic tacks.

I've found that cotton batting is easier to work with than polyester for
machine quilting. The cotton batting has a natural tendency to cling a
big to the cotton top and backing. Polyester batting is more slippery.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old October 19th 09, 08:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

One thing that hasn't yet been said is: although this is simply a
straight up and down quilting pattern, where did you start sewing? If
you started at one edge and proceeded across, that might have been less
successful than the traditional way of starting in the centre and moving
to one side, then going back to the centre and moving out to the other
side (still starting at a different edge each time).

I bought a set of quilt clamps - used them just once g .... It is
much easier without anything.

Oh, and what kind of needle are you using? Was it a new one? The type
of needle makes a lot of difference to me (I think it is an individual
thing). My quilting is my weakest aspect, so I need all the help I can
get!

One thing I can tell you with absolute certainty: it *does* get better!
..
In message , Edna Pearl
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 19th 09, 08:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Edna Pearl wrote:
I quilted a bunch of straight lines with a walking foot for the first time
today, and found it quite . . . erm . . . challenging. I am pretty sure
that the solution to most of my problems is practice, practice, practice,
but I thought I'd make a few notes here and see if anybody has any words of
wisdom.

1. Setting the machine's stitch length was a joke. The stitch length was
determined more by how much the quilt package was dragging for one reason or
another -- snagging on the bicycle clips as they traveled on, under, around
the machine, snagging on an accordian-fold in the package in my lap, etc.
This is related to . . .

I tend to butt tables/supports up in an L shape for larger things, so
the items isn't pulling down. I also have a quilting table for the
sewing machine that gives me a larger flatbed area. Something to think
about.

2. I hate bicycle clips. They scrape across the finish of my SM cabinet
(admittedly a beat-up finish already, but still), they snag, they fall off
on the floor, etc. I'm getting better with this. Would it help to wrap the
clips with cheesecloth?

I have some plastic quilt clips that look like squashed flat bicycle
clips... Don't like them much either. I get on better without them,
sticking an occasional pin into the roll if I need to.

3. No. 1 is also probably related to the fact that my SM and/or walking
foot continually demanded changes in the upper thread tension. I was using
different color threads on top and bottom, and occasionally the machine
would apparently just change its mind about whether it would tighten bobbin
threads up to the top or top threads to the bottom. I truly could not make
heads or tails of what the thread tension would do next. The SM was well
cleaned and lubricated. It seemed as if the machine just got tired and
started tightening up one way or the other.

Take a poly micrifiber lens cloth (NOT an impregnated-with-lens-cleaner
type one) and floss between the tension disks. Whenever my machine
plays up like this, a quick flossing saves the day.

4. Puckers on the back. I think this was due purely to the fact that I did
a lousy job of spray-basting. The walking foot was feeding fine and doing
what it was supposed to do; I just had glued some puckers into the back. I
know what I'll do differently the next time I spray-baste.

I haven't spray-basted a large quilt yet, only cat sized ones. I pinned
the others... Yes, I have sewn through the head of a safety pin. No,
it didn't damage the machine. Yes, the needle broke. In several
pieces, one of which scarred my specs!

That said, I got some good practice and the quilt looks pretty decent on
top, so far. After the thread yesterday when I asked about how far apart my
straight-line quilting should be, I decided that the narrow lines I wanted
would make the quilt narrower than I wanted. So I decided to go back to a
triple-figure eight, Amish quilting pattern that had attracted me earlier.
I'll quilt that tomorrow with my new, see-through darning foot. Based on
past experience with a mini-quilt, I think I may be better at quilting such
a pattern than I am at quilting a straight line! Meanders and stippling
never attracted me very much before, but I find I'm having good luck with it
on a practice scrap, so that may be in my future, too.

I like loop-de-loops too. No worries about the lines crossing! They
are supposed to. Like scribble with thread.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 19th 09, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Edna Pearl wrote:
...snip.... So I decided to go back to a
triple-figure eight, Amish quilting pattern that had attracted me earlier.
I'll quilt that tomorrow with my new, see-through darning foot. Based on
past experience with a mini-quilt, I think I may be better at quilting such
a pattern than I am at quilting a straight line! Meanders and stippling
never attracted me very much before, but I find I'm having good luck with it
on a practice scrap, so that may be in my future, too.

ep

And this is the reason I try to never do straight line quilting with
a straight stitch. I will use one of my fancy stitches if I am home
working on my Janome. If I am at the cabin in Lizard Land, I use the
multi zigzag stitch. My straight line are **never** straight and suing
some sort of decorative stitch makes that less noticeable :-). CiaoMeow
&;;&

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old October 19th 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:20:45 -0500, Edna Pearl wrote
(in article ):

I quilted a bunch of straight lines with a walking foot for the first time
today, and found it quite . . . erm . . . challenging. I am pretty sure
that the solution to most of my problems is practice, practice, practice,
but I thought I'd make a few notes here and see if anybody has any words of
wisdom.

1. Setting the machine's stitch length was a joke. The stitch length was
determined more by how much the quilt package was dragging for one reason or
another -- snagging on the bicycle clips as they traveled on, under, around
the machine, snagging on an accordian-fold in the package in my lap, etc.
This is related to . . .

I always, always increase my stitch length a lot when I'm quilting straight
lines with my walking foot. I just get better and more even results that
way.

2. I hate bicycle clips. They scrape across the finish of my SM cabinet
(admittedly a beat-up finish already, but still), they snag, they fall off
on the floor, etc. I'm getting better with this. Would it help to wrap the
clips with cheesecloth?

This might be heresy but I never, ever use clips of any kind. I just smoonch
up the quilt and shove it through.

4. Puckers on the back. I think this was due purely to the fact that I did
a lousy job of spray-basting. The walking foot was feeding fine and doing
what it was supposed to do; I just had glued some puckers into the back. I
know what I'll do differently the next time I spray-baste.

Yep.

That said, I got some good practice and the quilt looks pretty decent on
top, so far. After the thread yesterday when I asked about how far apart my
straight-line quilting should be, I decided that the narrow lines I wanted
would make the quilt narrower than I wanted. So I decided to go back to a
triple-figure eight, Amish quilting pattern that had attracted me earlier.
I'll quilt that tomorrow with my new, see-through darning foot. Based on
past experience with a mini-quilt, I think I may be better at quilting such
a pattern than I am at quilting a straight line! Meanders and stippling
never attracted me very much before, but I find I'm having good luck with it
on a practice scrap, so that may be in my future, too.

ep

Maureen

Old October 19th 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

EP, I'm hoping you give Kate's suggestion about tensions slipping. She
wrote:
Take a poly micrifiber lens cloth (NOT an impregnated-with-lens-cleaner
type one) and floss between the tension disks. Whenever my machine
plays up like this, a quick flossing saves the day.
I really don't know what she's talking about but since she's a
professional, her experience carries great weight and I'd give it serious
consideration. Spray basting was a 'tried it once' and nevermore trial for
me. Lots of folks here have great success with that stuff but for me it was
a guammy mess. (My mama's word, almost the same as gummy but much, Much
worse.) Polly