Darn Darn Darn (I'm Being Polite)

Old May 15th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

Default Darn Darn Darn (I'm Being Polite)

So I'm making a baby quilt, using a pattern I'd used before and left
over fabric. As I put the first block together, I had two of the
pieces reversed. No big deal, methinks. Same size, just different.

After making 8 or so blocks, I look down at them nicely arranged on
the floor to see eight little swastikas looking back at me.

No way am I giving anyone a baby quilt with little swastikas twirling
around. I don't care if there is pre-WWII significance.

Tonight will be spent frogging. Lesson learned, hopefully.

joan
Old May 15th 09, 11:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

So sorry! Hope it won't take long to take the blocks apart.
Barbara in SC

Old May 16th 09, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Our Christmas tree skirt has a swastika in it. I discovered it much too
late to remove it. Easy enough to set a little gift on that block. =)
Polly

m...

Old May 16th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

It would have to be a pretty big baby to cover up 8 of them on a baby quilt!
:-)

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old May 16th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I had a pattern that a scrappy couple blocks ended up looking like
swastikas. I was able to appliqué some hearts strategically to change it
up. They were pretty subtle though. I'm sorry you have to change them
all. That stinks.
Taria

Old May 16th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

probly a secondary design, rearrange the blocks.
j.

"KJ" wrote...

Old May 16th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:
So I'm making a baby quilt, using a pattern I'd used before and left
over fabric. As I put the first block together, I had two of the
pieces reversed. No big deal, methinks. Same size, just different.

After making 8 or so blocks, I look down at them nicely arranged on
the floor to see eight little swastikas looking back at me.

No way am I giving anyone a baby quilt with little swastikas twirling
around. I don't care if there is pre-WWII significance.

Tonight will be spent frogging. Lesson learned, hopefully.

joan

Oh Joan, I'm so sorry. Boy I can see how something like that could
happen though. Yikes!

Michelle in NV
Old May 16th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
rusty rusty is offline
Junior Member

On May 15, 6:42�pm, joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska
wrote:
So I'm making a baby quilt, using a pattern I'd used before and left
over fabric. �As I put the first block together, I had two of the
pieces reversed. �No big deal, methinks. �Same size, just different.

After making 8 or so blocks, I look down at them nicely arranged on
the floor to see eight little swastikas looking back at me.

No way am I giving anyone a baby quilt with little swastikas twirling
around. �I don't care if there is pre-WWII significance.

Tonight will be spent frogging. �Lesson learned, hopefully.

joan

This website (cut n paste)
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ative-american

says it was a Native American sign...hmmmm

rusty
Old May 16th 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
heidi (was rabbit2b)

Joan, I'm so glad you discovered it before giving the quilt! I know
it's a pain, but I really appreciate your sensitivity to the problem.
I'm Jewish and I do know the graphic element itself *way predates
anything Nazi, but my tummy still lurches a little when I see them in
quilts, and I can get kind of hung up even when I *know the design
*isn't a swastika but sort of suggests it, as some pinwheels tend to.
Heaven only knows how much time I've spent redoing color placement in
EQ to avoid even that hint...

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old May 16th 09, 04:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904

This website (cut n paste)http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...astika-actuall...

says it was a Native American sign...hmmmm

rusty

Blocks taken apart. Ready to sew together properly in the morning. I
just can't leave something like that to face the next day. Have to at
least have it taken apart.

On a lighter note, I bought myself a new ironing board today. My
Mother and Grandmother are probably spinning in their graves because I
spent $40 on an ironing board! But it's bigger than usual, sets up
taller, had a place for the iron to sit at the end and a place to hang
strips that are waiting to be ironed. Plus, it won't take the skin
off my toes like the old one did every time I walked into it! I
deserve a new ironing board, right?

darn... maryd Quilting 14 March 26th 06 06:46 AM
Darn it! Kalera Stratton Beads 3 February 22nd 04 03:26 PM
OT - DARN AOL Cheryl Beads 10 February 3rd 04 02:03 AM
Darn it! spampot Yarn 11 January 28th 04 07:24 AM
Darn It ! Els van Dam Yarn 7 July 29th 03 06:25 PM