Enabling, Jacobean Style - For Dianne

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 19th 03, 07:53 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

This conversation is confusing me. Wasn't crewel embroidery a process
of "crewel wool" on linen (usually linen twill) grounds.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't use other threads or other grounds.
But I keep reading about silk ground, and this is a new "revelation" to
me to think of crewel embroidery and silk cloth in the same breath.

Dianne

Hexe wrote:

Ellice wrote in message ...

Hi ya guys, I just had to share this site. My crazy aunt who quilts, and
used to do NP, has decided that she wants to do embroidery. As in a counted
thread sampler. Next thing I know, after I've sent her a bunch of links to
look at so I have an idea of what types she likes, she picks the most
difficult Drawn Thread piece. Well, she has good taste - but I told her I'll
kit her up something a little simpler, in the same vein, and send it on.

snipped to post

Ellice

i haven't read the whole thread as i should be cooking dinner '-) i
also love the Jacobean style of embroidery, but living where i do in
Germany, i am limited as to readily available threads. i would
suggest you get your aunt "The Anchor Book of Crewelwork Embroidery
Stitches". this book is written for beginners and has patterns
relevant to each stitch used. (i think these Anchor books are great,
i have several.) the pieces are done with a variety of threads not
just wool on silk.

i'm beginning a tote bag with a sampler square of 4 patterns done as
an (lined) outside pocket.

--
Hexe
http//ikutec.com