Another really st*pid question

Old June 18th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Another really st*pid question

The instructions on this pattern say "Break yarn."

Do I just leave it loose? Do I tie a knot or something with the new
color I am starting with? ?????

I really did try to search the net and haven't found anything cut and
dried. I see things about joins, but it says *nothing* about a join in
the instructions, to wit: "Work 10[12, 14, 16, 18] rows in reverse
stockinette st, ending with a WS row; break yarn. Using MC, work 2 rows
in stockinette St."

So what do I do? My little blue jean cuff is getting lonely and wants
the rest of the leg to keep it company.

TIA!

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old June 18th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
The instructions on this pattern say "Break yarn."

Do I just leave it loose? Do I tie a knot or something with the new
color I am starting with? ?????

I really did try to search the net and haven't found anything cut and
dried. I see things about joins, but it says *nothing* about a join in
the instructions, to wit: "Work 10[12, 14, 16, 18] rows in reverse
stockinette st, ending with a WS row; break yarn. Using MC, work 2 rows
in stockinette St."

So what do I do? My little blue jean cuff is getting lonely and wants
the rest of the leg to keep it company.

TIA!

Don't try to break it - you'll never do that to a decent yarn. Cut it
off (leave about four inches or so to weave in later) then start up
again with the main color yarn, also leaving a decent tail to weave in
at the proper time.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old June 18th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Jun 18, 1:24 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:
The instructions on this pattern say "Break yarn."

Do I just leave it loose? Do I tie a knot or something with the new
color I am starting with? ?????

I really did try to search the net and haven't found anything cut and
dried. I see things about joins, but it says *nothing* about a join in
the instructions, to wit: "Work 10[12, 14, 16, 18] rows in reverse
stockinette st, ending with a WS row; break yarn. Using MC, work 2 rows
in stockinette St."

Have you read to the end of the pattern? At some point, probably
under a section called "finishing" it should tell you what to do with
all the ends.

Old June 18th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Sounds like a Book in parts ,,,, or a Mystery in tv where they push a
commercial just at that moment ,,,,, mirjam

Old June 18th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Olwyn Mary wrote:
[...]

I agree with Olwyn Mary, cut it. That is what it means. You will do
fine. I have ran into that word used for cut before. Then, as Olwyn
Mary stated, "continue with the other color".

We do not want to here about stupid questions, we all have questions to
ask. If you don't, you are not challenging your self. Please check in
often and leave a picture.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Old June 18th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Don't try to break it - you'll never do that to a decent yarn. Cut
it off (leave about four inches or so to weave in later) then start up
again with the main color yarn, also leaving a decent tail to weave in
at the proper time.

Not if you leave a decent tail. It wil loosen a little, but then you
snug it up at the time you weave in or tie off the tail.

Now relax!! This is how we all do it. It works.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old June 19th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Melinda wrote:

So if I just leave it loose, won't it make the last stitch come loose?

Just pull it to tighten the stitch. Weaving the end in when finishing
will keep it tight.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old June 20th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
goblinbox

wrote:
The instructions on this pattern say "Break yarn."

Do I just leave it loose? Do I tie a knot or something with the new
color I am starting with? ?????

I really did try to search the net and haven't found anything cut and
dried. I see things about joins, but it says *nothing* about a join in
the instructions, to wit: "Work 10[12, 14, 16, 18] rows in reverse
stockinette st, ending with a WS row; break yarn. Using MC, work 2 rows
in stockinette St."

So what do I do? My little blue jean cuff is getting lonely and wants
the rest of the leg to keep it company.

TIA!

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

"Break" is just old-school. Homespun yarns are often looser and can be
pulled apart rather than cut. A lot of sewing patterns still read
"break thread" when in fact you can cut it.

You can tie the new color on to the old one or not, depending on your
style. Personally, I rarely tie the new yarn to the old at the time of
changing skeins - I tie them at the end when I'm cleaning up all the
loose ends - but you can tie the new color on if you'd like.

Good luck!

Old June 20th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:50:14 -0500, Spike Driver
wrote:

Olwyn Mary wrote:
[...]

Amen, and well said Dennis. I've always maintained that there is no
such thing as a 'stupid' question. Some answers are just more obvious
than others.

Bob