Home again.

Old June 26th 07, 06:09 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
CypSew

Default Spam and canned meats.

I didn't mean "someone hand". It should have read "some on hand". I didn't
proofread my post..
Emily

Old June 26th 07, 06:23 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
ellice

Default OT: Spam and canned meats.

On 6/26/07 12:47 PM, "CypSew" wrote:

I've bought Potted Meat, Spam, Corn Beef, Deviled Ham and canned Chicken
Chunks in many places, such as Chicago, Wisconsin, mid-central FL, several
cities in TX including El Paso as well as Las Cruces, NM where my DB lived,
and of course, all over MS and LA. I even bought some in the Los Angeles
area as part of earthquake supplies.

Not doubting buying the canned meat stuff all over, just the term "potted
meat". I've heard it called just canned meat, processed meat, tinned meat,
canned meat products, and certainly remember ads for Deviled Ham in cans
when I was very little, as well as for SPAM. Just never heard it called
"potted meat" - not in an ad, on the radio or tv, or in a magazine, or in
conversation - in the US.

Here in Houston, we keep someone hand in case of a hurricane. Corn Beef
mixed with Italian-style tomatoes makes a tasty dish, served over rice,
bread or w/crackers that my children ate heartily when youngsters. At least
one daughter serves it to her children; and keep all of them on hand as
hurricane preparedness in mid-FL.

I took potted meat on crackers or bread as lunch while in school in MS
during the 30s-40s, and my children did the same during the 50s-60s in SE
TX. Of course, not plain in either case, it was always mixed with pickle
relish, chopped celery, grated cheese,etc. When I am alone, I sometimes
make a salad of one of them with macaroni, grated cheese, diced celery &
relish, served with croutons and a fresh fruit for a easy tasty meal.
Emily

Maybe in the deeper south - such as Mississippi or Louisiana - or Texas, a
place unto itself the term is not uncommon.

As a little kid I remember my dad joking with my mom about SPAM - which I
think was more as an aftereffect of his time in the service. We never had
canned meat products in our house - might be a religious/cultural thing. I
still don't/won't use them. But, then again, the only processed meats I'll
do are of the kosher type. We do have plenty of canned tuna on hand, and
salmon, and soups, etc for use and/or emergenices. I grew up in hurricane
zones as well, and understand the value of having a hand can-opener (once
remending my grandmother that with all the stuff she had stockpiled, there
was only an electric can-opener - next day - there were hand ones in each
closet), and food that is non-perishable for a long time, and can be eaten
without cooking.

ellice

Old June 26th 07, 06:43 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Pogonip

Default Home again.

ellice wrote:
On 6/24/07 12:00 PM, "ravenlynne" wrote:

me wrote:

Errr.. Yes americans certainly do called potted meat, "potted meat"..

Yep. There was always potted meat in our pantry when I was a kid.
Vile stuff..lol

I think that must be a reginoal language idiom. In all the places I've
lived in tha states, never, ever heard canned, processed meat stuff referred
to as Potted Meat. But, I knew what was being referred to because of my
time living in the UK. So, perhaps us New York, DC, even Florida East
Coasters, don't use that phrase. Never heard it in NM, either.

ellice

As a public service, I submit to you:
http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

With a lovely picture of the various potted meat products offered to the
American consumer.

--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth.milky-way.com
Old June 26th 07, 07:07 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:39:36 -0400, spampot wrote:

YarnWright wrote:
Olwyn M Riddell spun a FINE 'yarn':

spampot wrote:

Spam and macaroni salad = healthful meal?

Certainly, provided it is served with green salad or crudites on the side and
followed by fresh fruit, all of which I stock up on when power outages are
predicted.

Haven't you ever heard of pasta salad? This would appear to be another
variant.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

---
avast! AV: Inbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000752-0, 06/25/2007
Tested: 6/25/2007 10:43:08 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

end quoted

Olwyn M Riddell. . .

ANY 'greens', even OKRA!
Which, on the radio today, a djay asked if Okra comes from... get this:
Okrahoma???
LOL
Noreen

snorting tea out my nose

Maybe he was a Chinese presenter - Ah! So! ;-)

Old June 26th 07, 07:29 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cheryl Isaak

me wrote:

Errr.. Yes americans certainly do called potted meat, "potted meat"..

Yep. There was always potted meat in our pantry when I was a kid.
Vile stuff..lol

I think that must be a reginoal language idiom. In all the places I've
lived in tha states, never, ever heard canned, processed meat stuff referred
to as Potted Meat. But, I knew what was being referred to because of my
time living in the UK. So, perhaps us New York, DC, even Florida East
Coasters, don't use that phrase. Never heard it in NM, either.

ellice

As a public service, I submit to you:
http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

With a lovely picture of the various potted meat products offered to the
American consumer.

How/why did you find that! more importantly - why did someone think this was
worthy of that much research.

Old June 26th 07, 07:36 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot[_2_]

me wrote:

Errr.. Yes americans certainly do called potted meat, "potted meat"..

Yep. There was always potted meat in our pantry when I was a kid.
Vile stuff..lol

I think that must be a reginoal language idiom. In all the places I've
lived in tha states, never, ever heard canned, processed meat stuff referred
to as Potted Meat. But, I knew what was being referred to because of my
time living in the UK. So, perhaps us New York, DC, even Florida East
Coasters, don't use that phrase. Never heard it in NM, either.

ellice

As a public service, I submit to you:
http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

With a lovely picture of the various potted meat products offered to the
American consumer.

How/why did you find that! more importantly - why did someone think this was
worthy of that much research.

HOW long have you been reading this NG?
Old June 26th 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Pogonip

wrote:

As a public service, I submit to you:
http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

With a lovely picture of the various potted meat products offered to the
American consumer.

How/why did you find that! more importantly - why did someone think this was
worthy of that much research.

Google is my friend. It was very difficult *wiping sweat from brow* --
I had to type in "potted meat" and press the little button. There were
other pages I could have told you about, like the "potted meat tribute
page." But I exercised restraint.

Google can be your friend, too. In the upper right corner of the
Firefox browser is a search box - where you can search terms on a list
of different sites.
Old June 26th 07, 08:16 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Karen C - California

Default OT: SPAM

Katherine wrote:

Yepper! Which is why home cooking is better. You can regulate what
goes
into the meal.

Absolutely. But you can't regulate what goes into the husband when he's
not home.

When we first got married, I was puzzled how he could be gaining weight
on what I was feeding him. Then I found out. On his way to work, he
supplemented my healthy breakfast with a 600-calorie muffin slathered
with butter. He topped off the low-cal lunch I packed with a bucket of
the Colonel's finest. After a low-fat dinner, he'd run an errand by way
of either Dunkin Donuts or the ice cream shop.

It's not that I'm a bad cook, it's that I don't cook the way his mother
did (with lots of salt, lots of fried food, gravy on everything) and my
healthy meals made him feel "deprived".

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 6/5/07 -- Hinzeit "Best Friends" (thank you, Cheryl!)

WIP: housewarming gift, Dance of the Roses,
Marbek's Bethany Angel
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Farmers Market, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old June 26th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

As a public service, I submit to you:
http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

With a lovely picture of the various potted meat products offered to the
American consumer.

How/why did you find that! more importantly - why did someone think this was
worthy of that much research.

Google is my friend. It was very difficult *wiping sweat from brow* --
I had to type in "potted meat" and press the little button. There were
other pages I could have told you about, like the "potted meat tribute
page." But I exercised restraint.

Google can be your friend, too. In the upper right corner of the
Firefox browser is a search box - where you can search terms on a list
of different sites.

Blowing raspberries your way!